mtbr member
    May 2008

IH is back, kinda

ironhorsebikes.com

they say new website is coming soon
    Specialized, Schwalbe, Twenty6, SixSixOne, Azonic, ODI, Elka, Crank Brothers, WTB

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That's some what of good news hopefully they would stock
    Sunday parts.....

banned
    ...tingle...

mtbr member
    Sweet, finally starting to think about entering the market again. I'm very curious as to what it's going to be like. They don't have DW link anymore, so are they going to be all new bikes? Did they renew their license? Anyone seen any news or heard rumors?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by 888-rydr
    Sweet, finally starting to think about entering the market again. I'm very curious as to what it's going to be like. They don't have DW link anymore, so are they going to be all new bikes? Did they renew their license? Anyone seen any news or heard rumors?
    Fairly certain there is a press release or two on BRAIN from about a year ago stating that Iron Horse was going to be a department store brand under the new owners.

You can do an Iron Horse search on BRAIN and read all the details.

I would e-speculate that there won't be any new DW replacement parts coming to stores any time soon.

mtbr member
    Well I hope they plan on coming back building at least a couple higher end bikes! It's going to be very disappointing if it's only Wal-Mart crap... The last I had heard they were going to be licensing the ICT suspension design from Ellsworth. Definitely a different direction from the DW, but probably would be pretty cool nonetheless.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Linky here.

I think Ellsworth's ICT suspension would be fitting on a bike sold in a department store.

Dorel to Sell Iron Horse in Sporting Goods

BY NICOLE FORMOSA

MONTREAL, Quebec—Dorel Industries will leverage the recently acquired Iron Horse brand to gain market share in the sporting goods channel where the company hasn’t previously had a position, according to Martin Schwartz, chief executive officer of Dorel.

Schwartz spoke of plans to reintroduce Iron Horse branded bicycles to the market during an August conference call with analysts to discuss the company’s second-quarter earnings.

“We’re talking to several sporting goods chains who are working very closely with us and we’re working with a couple chains in Canada. We’re very optimistic about this Iron Horse project,” Schwartz said.

Dorel Industries bought Iron Horse for $5.2 million on July 13 during an auction in bankruptcy court. The brand hasn’t been sold in the specialty channel since last September when its former president, Cliff Weidberg, opted to sell high-end bikes only through Randall Scott Cyclery, his son’s online retail outlet.

Low- to middle-end Iron Horse bikes remained in the sporting goods channel in stores like Dick’s and Sports Authority. Iron Horse pulled in $25 million last year, but Dorel doesn’t expect the brand to generate much revenue this year.

Iron Horse ended operations in January after its secured lender, CIT Group, stopped funding the company. Iron Horse was forced into bankruptcy by three of its Asian suppliers in March.

“We’ve designed new products, we’re showing the product to the customer. They’re ordering. Are we going to ship it before the end of the year? Maybe. But really it’s a 2010 play,” said Jeffrey Schwartz, Dorel chief financial officer.

Dorel Industries also recently purchased Gemini Bicycles, an Australian distributor, for $2.2 million. Plans are to combine those assets with Cannondale’s existing Australian operations to form a new division: Cycling Sports Group Australia. This, along with the addition of a new vice president to drive growth in Asia and a new manager to oversee Cannondale sales and marketing in Canada, is part of Dorel’s ongoing strategy to transform its bicycle business into a global force, Martin Schwartz said.

For the first six months of 2009 Dorel’s bike division, which includes Cannondale, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Sugoi, Pacific Cycle and PTI, reported revenue of $335.5 million, up 7.4 percent from the same period last year. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange variations and the acquisition of PTI, organic revenue dipped 4 percent year-to-date.

Earnings from operations declined 19 percent. Gross margin was down 140 basis points due to a less profitable product mix as consumers shifted to lower price point products.

Sales fell in the Cycling Sports Group, home to the company’s IBD brands, as consumers purchased fewer high-end bikes. “We’re carrying a lot of bikes now given it’s the end of summer. So is the whole industry. We’re watching that and trying to deal with that,” Jeffrey Schwartz said.

Although 2009 has been a challenging year, Dorel expects high-end sales to pick up next year with the publicity garnered from two Liquigas riders finishing the Tour de France in the top 10.

“Early reaction to our new IBD product line has been outstanding and our pre-delivery order level is up significantly from last year. We believe we will increase our bike sales next year to the IBD, regardless of the economic situation,” Martin Schwartz said.

mtbr member
    Huh, interesting. Well, hopefully they will continue to supply bikes for the sporting good stores and for the higher end users. The world is a sad place without Sunday's and 7 Points...

I hope we get some more recent news soon!

banned
    Don't place stock with what this hack from the 'Court' thread just will re-hash to anyone.

Latest IH in the news....

mtbr member
    Ummm, haha, I don't know what you mean by that. But thanks for the link...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jemima
    Don't place stock with what this hack from the 'Court' thread just will re-hash to anyone.

Yeah, don't pay any attention to stuff like legitimately reported industry news

banned
    I was actually thinking about the self-imposed 'Color Analyst' status this guy places upon his own posts from a Year-ago, lifted from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Yeah, don't pay any attention to stuff like legitimately reported industry news

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by 888-rydr
    Ummm, haha, I don't know what you mean by that. But thanks for the link...
    No one understands what he means....that is the beauty of it.
    So for the sake of my own curiosity, what is a "color analyst" anyway? Do they work at Crayola?

edit:
    nevermind.....wikipedia is my friend, I would say this accurately sums up SLCRMR's role around here, although it is perhaps giving him too much credit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_commentator

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jemima

Sounds like someone's still having trouble coming to terms with the fact that their favorite bike brand has gone the way of Mongoose. Go easy, last thing you want to do is break a swing arm or DW Link getting all E-mad.

If you have any other news other than what's been published in Bicycle Retailer And Industry News post it up. Until then you're the hack.

Glad to see you're finally using somewhat complete sentences finally and your balls have dropped. Those first few months on this site saw you going through some akward growing pains.

So go cry to the mods and get this thread locked too. Go ahead. I'll wait.

This is one of my favorite Aunty_J trying to be cleaver posts. I think this was right before he broke down in tears:

"My attempt to postulate this quagmire held to what 'type' of Money was IHBC source Capitol. Majority public would assume just a wad of cash in a damp sack buried under Funk and Wagnl....
    Not to suggest IHBC as a device of another maker (I had heard INTENSE,ELLSWORTH were source at times; I never bought any of it). Sad fact it is I reserve play upon anything resembling this w/ IHBC for the time current.
    Perhaps Iron Horse was a promise of consortium upon other holders; IP development say and factors were not met with adequate reception. I find difficulty accepting folk just cashed-in on the last Day.
    Someone needs Money."

banned
    So how are things at MONSTER? Still running individuals and even the rare Company into the ground? Or can you not talk about it while you double-check cable-tension between a Tractor and your next Transmission-Antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Someone needs Money."

mtbr member
    Yeah, totally bizarre. It'd be nice if he would actually ADD something to the conversation...

Anyway, still waiting to see what happens on the website. Certainly not keeping my hopes up at this point.