Thread: IH Advise????

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

IH Advise????

I am looking to purchase a 2008 Iron Horse MK III Comp. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a full suspension. I know IH is out of business. In the event that something breaks, can I get replacement parts from the local bike shop. I read a couple of posts about the rear triangle breaking. Is this a common problem or is it something that hardly happens? If the rear triangle breaks, is there anything else that can be matched up maybe from another company? I guess what I am getting at is, if the bike breaks can I get it fixed? Thanks for you help.

habitual line-stepper
    i advise you scroll down a bit and read the "Has your MKIII cracked?" thread. some have had their rear triangle rewelded. others have had no issue at all (myself included). try some searches on the subject, too. there's a ton of info here.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Dropshot Champ!
    eh, they're a FANTASTIC bike for what you'll probably pay. Yes it will break, yes you can try to find a new rear tri on ebay or pay someone to weld it, but if the price is right, right it until it breaks!

If you're 6ft+ and 200lbs+, don't expect it to last forever. If you're a slightly obese midget, ride the **** outta it

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Your LBS is good for parts like chains, derailleurs, pedals, etc. They won't be able to help you with frame breakage though. AFAIK, you won't be able to find replacement swingarms (rear triangles) made by some other company. You might find some on ebay, but I haven't seen any show up there in a long while. (Front triangles still pop up from time to time though.)

In addition to the rear triangle breakage that you've heard about, the front triangles have been known to break too. Several of us, myself included, have reported breakage occurring near the weld at the bottom of the seat tube. Mine cracked without warning, though to be honest, I wasn't looking for cracks in this area. It may be that a hairline crack showed up there prior to the cracking. I now check the swingarm and the seat tube for cracks during each post-ride maintenance.

With regard to rear triangle breakage, you may be able to make your swingarm last longer by attaching the rear wheel as tightly as possible. I've been using DT Swiss RWS skewers that I screw on as tight as I can make them and have had no breakage (yet - fingers crossed). That said, this advice will do you little good if you're buying the frame used and the previous owner used a standard quick release skewer that was barely tightened. (If that's the case, the damage is probably already done.)