mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well HP Expert-2004 "crunch" sound when pedaling

Hi guys!

I'm having this noise at the bottom bracket area that I can't find how to get rid of it. It sounds mostly when I stand up to pedal and when the pedal is in its lower position (like 6:00pm in a clock). Also removed, clean and lubricated the crankset drive side. The sound can be heard no matter which arm of the crankset is down.

I removed each chainring bolt from the crankset, cleaned and lubricated both the area and the bolts, check each pivot bolt tension, and the noise continue. The only thing that I haven't done is remove the bottom bracket. It's currently as it came from the factory. I didn't remove the pivot bolts, just checked for loosen ones.

Also have a "click" sound but it is impredictable and seems to came from the handlebar. For that, I also completely remove handlebar, stem, headset, bearings, clean and lubricated everything and the noise conitnue. This one is smaller and I think I can deal with it but not with hte "crunch" sound comming from the bottom bracket area.

Please help!!

Thanks!

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    Hi guys!

I'm having this noise at the bottom bracket area that I can't find how to get rid of it. It sounds mostly when I stand up to pedal and when the pedal is in its lower position (like 6:00pm in a clock). Also removed, clean and lubricated the crankset drive side. The sound can be heard no matter which arm of the crankset is down.

I removed each chainring bolt from the crankset, cleaned and lubricated both the area and the bolts, check each pivot bolt tension, and the noise continue. The only thing that I haven't done is remove the bottom bracket. It's currently as it came from the factory. I didn't remove the pivot bolts, just checked for loosen ones.

Also have a "click" sound but it is impredictable and seems to came from the handlebar. For that, I also completely remove handlebar, stem, headset, bearings, clean and lubricated everything and the noise conitnue. This one is smaller and I think I can deal with it but not with hte "crunch" sound comming from the bottom bracket area.

Please help!!

Thanks!

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

Hmmmm. That leaves the BB itself, or the pedals. What BB is it, anyway - Shimano integrated, Isis...?
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

noises

lucky's right about the BB itself.
    I know it sounds stupid about the front end sound, but I have an extremely noisy (brand new) set of Avid speed dial brake levers. when I don't have a finger on them they click and pop, AND DRIVE ME NUTS! I liked the old style better. I looked at mine and can't come up with a good way to stop it.
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wink BB Truvativ

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Hmmmm. That leaves the BB itself, or the pedals. What BB is it, anyway - Shimano integrated, Isis...?
    The BB is the Truvativ ISIS drive. What I don't know for sure is the model. It has a plastic spacer on the drive side and an o-ring on the oposite.

Anyway, it came already installed on the bike so probably it wasn't installed with the tips like the teflon tape adn grease on the frame treads.

I will purchase the BB tool then (the BBT-8 @ $22.00). Let you know the results (hope is that.

Thanks!

Erwin
    HP Expert 2004
    Yauco, PR

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    The BB is the Truvativ ISIS drive. What I don't know for sure is the model. It has a plastic spacer on the drive side and an o-ring on the oposite.
    ISIS BB's have gotten a lot of complaints regarding short lifespan. What I gather is that the oversize spindle doesn't leave much room for the bearings, so the bearings are small. Small bearings don't carry big loads very well. This is apparently the driving force behind the development of external-bearing type BB's, like the new stuff from Shimano, as well as others. When you pull the crank, turn the BB axle by hand. If it doesn't turn smoothly, with just a little smooth drag from the seals, it's toast. Hopefully it's not that, but when I hear you talking about crunching noises, this comes to mind.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wink BB crunching noise: ISIS vs X-Type

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    ISIS BB's have gotten a lot of complaints regarding short lifespan. What I gather is that the oversize spindle doesn't leave much room for the bearings, so the bearings are small. Small bearings don't carry big loads very well. This is apparently the driving force behind the development of external-bearing type BB's, like the new stuff from Shimano, as well as others. When you pull the crank, turn the BB axle by hand. If it doesn't turn smoothly, with just a little smooth drag from the seals, it's toast. Hopefully it's not that, but when I hear you talking about crunching noises, this comes to mind.

Kathy

Thanks for your notes! That makes a lot of sense for me. I didn't try that. I ordered the BB tool for this bottom bracket so as soon as I get it I will follow your tip. I don't ride so hard cause I came from the XC hardtail world and the bike only have 4 months but anyway it sounds like something to check.

I will post any results here.

Erwin