mtbr member
    Oct 2004

HP Expert 17.5" = 31.4 lbs?

I just went into my LBS and all they had was a 17.5" 2004 Expert. I need a 19.5" and wanted to check it out for fit. I was messing with the 17.5" and thought it seemed heavy. So I asked the shop to weigh it. It came out to 31.4 lbs. That seems really heavy. The 19.5" will probably hit 32 lbs.

That's a lot of weight for a 4.5" travel bike. Does it climb OK? The Blurs and 575's run between 24 and 28 lbs. I was thinking of buying one until I weighed it. I suck at climbing, so the last thing I want is an anchor for a bike.

For 2005, it seems lots of companies are hitting the 5"-6" travel range with 30 lb bikes.

Riding a Rig.
    I really wouldn't let the weight bother you. The bikes your comparing to would have to be using lighter part and more exspensive parts. IMO the only place weight matters is rotational weight in the wheels and tires.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That Seems Heavy

Although that might be right because of the M. Black Fork and other stuff. I still believe that I got the best deal w/ the 2003 HP Expert. It came with Fox AVA in the back and a light Fox Float RL up front The Fox is about 1/2 lb lighter than the Black). My bike now weights 28 lbs because I changed the stem and handlebar (Weyless stem and Weyless Carbon Riser bar), and swithced to lighter tires (Python tubeless). I can stay that other than pavement or fireroads, my HP Expert clmbs better on very technical singletrack than my 22 lb hardtail.
    Last edited by Moo Shoo Pork; 11-11-2004 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have an 04 HP Expert medium. From the shop, I had the tyres changed to a Michelin Comp S Light and Michelin XLS (both tubeless). The bike weighed 30.5lbs. I believe that the Hansventure tyres are over 800gm each, the michelins around 650 each, and I'm not sure if they come with tubes or not.

There are some bits that could be lighter - forks and wheels mainly. But I wouldn't be too concerned. The bike climbs extremely well, at least to the limits of my abilities. I can't say how it compares to other FS bikes, but others have attested to that.

Sometimes I wonder if I need all this travel, and would a 100mm travel bike (eg. Stumpjumper) suit me. But, this is my first new bike in 10 years, so I'm not likely to change real soon. Maybe...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

HP Expert 17.5" = 31.4 (more or less)

My bike is an Hollowpoint Expert 2004 size 17.5". I would tell you that it weights but the real thing is at the tires. The Maxxis Hansventure tires are really heavy and they came with a 2.35" heavy tube. If you go tubeless, and change tires for something more lighter, Kenda Kinetics or IRC Mithos II Tubeless, you may save a lot. I'm not sure if the IRC came in a size bigger than 2.1".

I came from a hardtail with 2.1" tires. The first time I rode my HP on one of my favorites trails, I increase my riding time for about 3 to 5 minutes. Got to be the tires.

The bike climbs like a goat. And if you have it well setup, rear shock main chamber and SPV preasure, you will not notice the bike weight. The pedaling is great even when standing on pavement climbing. The fork need some patience from you during its breaking period but at the end it will do the job. When standing you need to play with your position but mostly to deal with fork movement.

The best thing of the bike is its performance on rocky terrain. You will want to go back and take the trail again.

Regards,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude
    I just went into my LBS and all they had was a 17.5" 2004 Expert. I need a 19.5" and wanted to check it out for fit. I was messing with the 17.5" and thought it seemed heavy. So I asked the shop to weigh it. It came out to 31.4 lbs. That seems really heavy. The 19.5" will probably hit 32 lbs.

That's a lot of weight for a 4.5" travel bike. Does it climb OK? The Blurs and 575's run between 24 and 28 lbs. I was thinking of buying one until I weighed it. I suck at climbing, so the last thing I want is an anchor for a bike.
    The Hollowpoint is an awesome climber, especially over the rough stuff. My Hollowpoint expert (medium) weighs in at 32.5 lbs, but that's with Panaracer Cinder tires and sealant. Sure, I could probably make it lighter, but if I were serious about going light, I'd do better by trimming a few pounds off myself first.

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude

For 2005, it seems lots of companies are hitting the 5"-6" travel range with 30 lb bikes.
    29.5 pounds on my 04 sport frame with the 03 expert build fox r ava shock fox rl 100 fork mavick 3.1 tubless wheel set with formula disk huds hayes hfx 9 hydrulic brakes xt fron rear deraillures with xt rapidfire shifters ea 50 seatpost ea50 handelbars ea70 stem xt hollowforged crank set sell itallia ty saddel cane creek zero stack headset shimano bottom bracket larson tt front tire and hutcheson scorpion tubless light rear tire and the frame is a small and the true weight again is 29.5 pounds
    I can also say that the bike climbs like a mule I have now coquerd all the climbs at my favorite rideing area and the bike rides feels and handels like it ways 25 pounds dont let the weight bother you i have a 26 pound hard tail thats set up real nice and the hp smokes it and feels lighter when rideing it so go with the hp
    Jan R Ride On
    Last edited by Jan R; 11-24-2004 at 08:47 PM.