Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    68

    Bonking ... not feelin' well How to go tubless on Mavic CrossLands

    Hi guys!

    I just bought today the tubless valves for my Mavic Crosslands (original Mavic). Each cost me $15.00.

    Now, the big question: Can I go tubless with the Maxxis Hansventure? I install one valve, which fit perfectly, and try to pump up the tire but it never seat. I tried using soap bubles and some techniques from the November ed. of MBA magazine but it was really difficult and no positive results.

    What can I do? Should I try pouring some Slime Tubless Sealant before pumping air? Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Erwin
    IH Expert 2004
    Yauco, PR

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    I just bought today the tubless valves for my Mavic Crosslands (original Mavic). Each cost me $15.00.

    Now, the big question: Can I go tubless with the Maxxis Hansventure? I install one valve, which fit perfectly, and try to pump up the tire but it never seat. I tried using soap bubles and some techniques from the November ed. of MBA magazine but it was really difficult and no positive results.

    What can I do? Should I try pouring some Slime Tubless Sealant before pumping air? Any ideas?
    Hansventure tires aren't intended to be tubeless tires. That said, you could probably use some of Stan's sealant to make them work, or, you could get some real tubeless tires. You might want to poke around Stan's site; he has some instructions on how to make it all work.

    Sorry, I can't be of more help. I'm still running tubes with my Mavic Crosslands. After purchasing the bike, I did do some research to see what I'd need to do if I wanted to go tubeless someday. The one thing I never figured out was where to get the valves. Any suggestions? (Actually, I think I decided that the Stan's valves would probably work, but it'd be nice to know where to get the real Mavic valves...)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    68

    Good job! Tubeless valves: go with Stan's

    Thanks for your notes. I will wait then to purchase real tubeless tires. It was really hard when I tried seating the Maxxis with the tubeless valves. About the valves:

    I purchase the original Mavic tubeless valves and the first negative thing is that you can't remove the inside core of the valve. Sometime ago I checked at Stan's site and see that they have a version specifically for Mavic rims. But I didn't stop there, I decided to contact them by phone and ask the question directly to someone about our Crosslands rims. They told me that they will fit as in any other Tubeless Mavic rim.

    The best thing about being able to remove the inside core is that you can refill the sealant without removing part of the tire.

    Another hint that I just learned today: if you are planning to go tubeless with tubeless tires, instead of purchasing Stan's sealant go with Slime Tubeless sealant (specific for tubeless tires). I bought a 16oz bottle at PepBoys for less than $8.00. Make sure it looks like it has purple bits mixed with the sealant. These are small rubber bits that will help the sealant work better on the puncture. Check this link: http://www.slime.com/auto.html

    Regards,

    Erwin
    Yauco, PR

  4. #4
    mtbjk
    Reputation: Jan R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    Thanks for your notes. I will wait then to purchase real tubeless tires. It was really hard when I tried seating the Maxxis with the tubeless valves. About the valves:

    I purchase the original Mavic tubeless valves and the first negative thing is that you can't remove the inside core of the valve. Sometime ago I checked at Stan's site and see that they have a version specifically for Mavic rims. But I didn't stop there, I decided to contact them by phone and ask the question directly to someone about our Crosslands rims. They told me that they will fit as in any other Tubeless Mavic rim.

    The best thing about being able to remove the inside core is that you can refill the sealant without removing part of the tire.

    Another hint that I just learned today: if you are planning to go tubeless with tubeless tires, instead of purchasing Stan's sealant go with Slime Tubeless sealant (specific for tubeless tires). I bought a 16oz bottle at PepBoys for less than $8.00. Make sure it looks like it has purple bits mixed with the sealant. These are small rubber bits that will help the sealant work better on the puncture. Check this link: http://www.slime.com/auto.html

    Regards,

    Erwin
    Yauco, PR
    go with tubless and stans i used to have to air up my tubless tires everyday but now i cant remember when the last time was that i had to put air in them 3 4 maybe 5 weeks ago thats awsome stans is amazing and works better than the automotive stuff allso never even had a tubed tire that i didnt have to air up atleast once a week so stans is the way to go with the tubless tires and its $18 well spent and purchased it from price point also the best way to install is to pull 1 side beed off about half way around the rim put 4 oz of stans in each tire remount get the floor pump out but i have done it with my mini pump and air to about 60 pounds then rotate the tire into every imaginable posistion that you can think of then go and ride let the pressure down to your ride pressure and thats it and the stuff really works just go buy it and put it in its easy and it works
    Jan R Ride On

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Valve stems should be included

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    Hansventure tires aren't intended to be tubeless tires. That said, you could probably use some of Stan's sealant to make them work, or, you could get some real tubeless tires. You might want to poke around Stan's site; he has some instructions on how to make it all work.

    Sorry, I can't be of more help. I'm still running tubes with my Mavic Crosslands. After purchasing the bike, I did do some research to see what I'd need to do if I wanted to go tubeless someday. The one thing I never figured out was where to get the valves. Any suggestions? (Actually, I think I decided that the Stan's valves would probably work, but it'd be nice to know where to get the real Mavic valves...)
    I got the bike from Supergo and the tubless valve stems were included.

  6. #6
    Infinity-1
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    198
    I am using the Stans Mavic valves and Schwabe Fat Albert UST tires on my CrossLands. Other than taking two people to get the tire on, the combination has worked great. So far, I have not even added any Stans. If you want to use standard tires without tubes on the Crosslands, I think you would be best served with the stans rim strips for Mavic rims. These come with built in valves.....

    Greyeye

Similar Threads

  1. best tubeless tires for mavic crosslands?
    By milliondollarhero in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
  2. Mavic Crosslands or Mavic 317 w/ xt hubs
    By 2002NRS in forum Giant
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 07:20 PM
  3. Mavic or Sun rims on Specialized Rockhopper Comp?
    By zugzug in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 09:23 PM
  4. Mavic CrossMAX SL vs. Chris King ISO Mavic X3.1
    By mtnfiend in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 08:12 PM
  5. mavic rims
    By trvsklsy in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •