Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to Fix Play in 2006 7 Points

10K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  thebikefiend 
#1 ·
The following guide is a sure-fire way to fix lower (red-link) play for all 2006 7 points. Before I begin, I want to thank Iron Horse for sending me a new pivot kit (red-link, bearings, and hardware).

Let's begin with step one:

1.) If you've already ridden your 7-Point with excessive play for extended periods consider ordering a new pivot kit from Iron Horse. They cost $70. IH's phone number is: 1.800.645.5477 Having a new pivot kit will help remedy play issues, and allow you to work with new bearings.

2.) Aside from having an adequate tool set, including a way to press and remove bearings, you'll want the following items:

a.) 2 4mm head stainless steel bolts (make sure the pitch, diameter, and length match the 3mm bolts used on the lower pivot point of the red link). I purchased the 4mm bolts from the hardware store.
b.) 1 brand new (or newish) 4mm allen wrench.
c.) Blue thread locker (Loctite).

3.) Remove your cranks and chain guide, remove your shock hardware, remove the red-link. These operations should be rather self-explanatory. However, I can clarify if needed.

Commentary.) The following photo demonstrates the inherent issue with the using the 3mm bolts and stock rod that IH provides. This fine work was done by an unmentioned shop, in an attempt to fix the play. I don't blame the shop. It's impossible to torque these bolts to spec. without the potential for stripping and mauling. The lone bolt pictured was completely stripped -which required me to use a brand new 3mm hex for removal.

4.) Next, you'll want to take a file to the rod pictured below. This is the rod which slides in the red-link and is normally tightened with two 3mm bolts. File both sides down until there is no concave on either side. In simpler words, file both sides a few strokes short of where the threading begins.

5.) Reinstall red-link to your bike by tightening the upper pivot (the one which requires a 10mm and 5mm hex). Make sure to douse the 5mm bolt with thread lock.

a.) Next install the lower part of the red-link using the modified (filed) rod. Here's where you'll want to use the 2 4mm head bolts from step two c. Make sure to leave the washers (which cover the bearings) from IH. Using 4mm head bolts, rather than the 3mm factory bolts will allow you to tighten the pivot adequately. Don't forget to douse these bolts in thread locker.
b.) Here's a photo of the difference between the 3mm factory bolt and the hardware store bolt:

-The 4mm head bolt pictured on the left is the hardware bolt.

6.) Finally, reinstall shock hardware and seat stay to rocker arm pivot (if you removed it).

7.) Your 7-point should now be totally play free and supple. My 7 point went from feeling loose as hell to absolutely solid.

8.) Let me know how this works out for you. Enjoy the ride!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.