mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how does a 2008 7point compare to newer bikes

Just wondering what others have experienced demo-ing other bikes compared to their 7 point.
    The 7 point is a pig compared to newer bikes but I would still like to know what you guys have observed.
    Maybe some comparisons to the current Reign x, new RM Slayer with 6.5" or recently retired Scratch.
    Climbing, steep technical, rock gardens, stability in air, drops.
    Give me your impressions.

I have decided to sell the 7 point-I have used it for everything from cx/am/freeride/bike park. It was used for everything at one point until I got a long travel hardtail for cx and am.

mtbr member
    The DW link suspension action was second to none even compared to today's bikes BUT lower BB's and slacker HTA's make today's bikes much more worthy IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-22-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am looking seriously at getting a scratch and was thinking a 10-12lb loss in weight over my 2008 7 point would be huge on the uphills.
    To loose that kind of weight would easily take $1000 or more-new fork, new wheelset etc., so a new bike does seem within reason.
    I have ridden a slayer in the parking lot, a slayer 30 and 50. The 50 accelerated well. It did seem very much more AM orientated but I know it is touted as light freeride-bit skeptical.
    The Scratch seems like a better replacement.
    I have ridden a Reign x but was a 2008. It climbed well enough but didn't feel substantial better on the climbs compared to my 7 point. It was definitely more flickable on the downs while the 7 point plows through most anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The DW link suspension action was second to none even compared to toay's bikes BUT lower BB's and slacker HTA's make today's bikes much more worthy IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I'm adding a -2.5 degree headset to my 2008 7 point, should updated it enough to be my park bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 7 point's HA 66.7
    64.2 that is definitely downhill territory
    have you ridden other brands can you comment on the any of the bikes above

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chapel00 View Post
    correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 7 point's HA 66.7
    64.2 that is definitely downhill territory
    have you ridden other brands can you comment on the any of the bikes above
    Iron Horse blatantly lied about the 2008 7 point's geometry. It has been measured many times, and it is exactly the same as 2007 and previous. So 67.5 HA.

I have ridden a lot of bikes. I'm using the 7 point as a 'mini DH' rig, and it does that job perfectly. They are so cheap, have amazing suspension, still look good, and with the right build kit can weigh competitively with coil sprung bikes of today.

I have a 2010 Diamondback Mission with a 170mm Lyrik that is a lot lighter that I use as my everyday bike. It's great for riding up hill, but the 7point is much faster and rails corners compared to it.

I've ridden a lot of bikes, including Scratches and the new Slash. They are light and fun, but new bikes these days are ridiculously expensive. Especially trek. MSRP for the new slash is $3600 and change.

Depending on your cash situation, I'd considering keeping the 7 point and buying a lighter AM bike in the 150-160mm range, and saving the big bike for park riding and shuttle. 7 points do not sell for market value for a 3 year old FR bike compared to brands that are still in business.

I have not installed my angle cups yet, but I expect it to make a great bike even greater. However, my 7 point has decent and somewhat recent parts on it, so it's better than most of the old ones out there with outdated suspension and drivetrain rot. (Domain, Roco WC, X9 drive train, elixir R's, new wheels, etc.)

I think the 7 point is an amazingly fun bike that is aging very well. I demo'd a TR250, and besides being lighter, I found the 7 point to be more fun and active.

If you have any other questions let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for your insight.
    I think I may try to pick up a scratch used and build a downhill/park only bike with the 7 point as you suggested.
    I have suspected the 7 point to be a great frame even compared to current frames-it seems iron horse was thinking ahead and you could see the trickle down from the sunday with the larger rear axle and bottom bracket and 1.5 headset. Dw-link enuf said.

mtbr member
    Don't go with a Cane Creek Angleset whatever you do! Lots of documented problems with creaking that they haven't ironed out yet. Get a Works instead: Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Don't go with a Cane Creek Angleset whatever you do! Lots of documented problems with creaking that they haven't ironed out yet. Get a Works instead: Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Good call. I should have specified, I bought a custom 2.5 degree Works components headset for my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The 7 point frames aren't heavy, they are actually pretty light if compared to 7inch current alu frames (only few scrape max 300-400g off). Actually if you ride your 7 point with a -2 headset, it is really similar in geometry to a Scratch (and the Scratch is only lighter due to components, the frame is more or less same weight).

If you want a more modern geometry 7 point, then get a 2008/9 6point frame, and put in a 8.5x2.75 shock, plus -2 angleset from works components and good components. Mind though, the difference to the 7 point is subtle. The frame is only about 150g lighter compared to 7 point as you need to upsize (while the 7point actual weight is true to catalog, the 6 point frames weight more). The real advantage of the 6 point is the roughly 7-8mm lower BB.

I love my 6.7. Got it specced with Zocchi 66 RC3 Evo Ti, Roco TST-R with Ti spring, Saint brakes, x9/x0/saint drivetrain, FSA gravity light cranks with e13 bashguard, Thomson Masterpiece, lots of titan screws, and so on.
    Wih my CX/AM wheelset with 800g tyres on Hope Pro II/ZTR Flow it comes in at 15.4kg with 130g tubes. With Spank Stiffy Evo 40/CX-Ray/Hope Pro II Evo wheels for Enduro/Freeride/Vertride and 2ply tyres and 190g tubes at about 16.5kg. That ain't much for 180/180 all coil travel and more or less indestructible parts.

Only frame that could kick it out would be a carbon Yeti SB-77 (or however Yeti calls the SB-66 based 180mm freerider).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just put a -1.5 degree angleset on my 6Point and it is an incredible improvement. Much more controllable in high speed corners.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Very interesting thread as I'm about to pick up a 2008 7 point (with upgraded components) to replace my IH Yakuza Kumicho as my DH/shuttle park bike. I miss DW suspension (my main trail/AM bike a is a Mojo carbon, with DW of course).

I will put my newer boxxer on the 7 point, but suposedly 'slacker and longer tube '08 7point' doesn't seem slack enough at 67.5 HA if it is indeed that and NOT the 66.7 HA stated!, though the longer fork will help a bit (at the cost of raising the BB).

So should I get a 2-2.5deg angleset ? workscomponents are not cheap at $120+ship. Another alternative to even try if it worth it ?

2008 Iron Horse Line - Pinkbike.com

looking at this I don't see BB height (covered by logo). Not sure if there is a place that list IH specs anymore...

thanks.
    Last edited by adumesny; 10-06-2011 at 12:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Iron Horse blatantly lied about the 2008 7 point's geometry. It has been measured many times, and it is exactly the same as 2007 and previous. So 67.5 HA..
    Darn, they do look different though - like the top tube connection to the seat is very different in 08 models. Wondering where I could read more about it, or will have to measure it when I get one...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    I just put a -1.5 degree angleset on my 6Point and it is an incredible improvement. Much more controllable in high speed corners.
    So what kind of angleset did you go with? I've been thinking about putting one on my 6point but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Do you mind posting up a pic of that angleset on your 6point?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    So what kind of angleset did you go with? I've been thinking about putting one on my 6point but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Do you mind posting up a pic of that angleset on your 6point?

I found a used one on Craigslist. The guy told me the brand was HAS. Apparently they are made in Israel. The guy was selling it because it was too slack for climbing for his taste. It felt a little too slack to be practical at first, but now I'm getting used to it. I care a lot more about going downhill than up. I think for most a -1 degree angleset would probably be preferable. I will post a picture when I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oh no, I'ld go 2.5 (both HAS and Works Components offer 2.5 for the 7 Point). HAS will probably even do a -3.

The real angle of the 7 Point is much more like 68 and not 67.5, and 64 is perfect. I have my 6Point with -2 angleset, 180mm fork, external lower cup (adds 9mm) and it is only at around 65, while it should be 64 if it really had an 67.5 angle (but real angle was more like 68.5). Mind that I span down my fork to about 100mm for longer uphills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    Here she is.
    [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by extremecarver View Post
    Oh no, I'ld go 2.5 (both HAS and Works Components offer 2.5 for the 7 Point). HAS will probably even do a -3.

The real angle of the 7 Point is much more like 68 and not 67.5, and 64 is perfect. I have my 6Point with -2 angleset, 180mm fork, external lower cup (adds 9mm) and it is only at around 65, while it should be 64 if it really had an 67.5 angle (but real angle was more like 68.5). Mind that I span down my fork to about 100mm for longer uphills.
    I agree for a DH/Freeride bike. I just have to use mine for everything, so I can't get too crazy.