Go Bears!
    Mar 2004

Hollowpoint vs Enduro?

I'm looking for a ~5" travel trail bike, and am going to check out supergo in mountain view tomorrow. The Weyless XP and Iron Horse Hollowpoints have caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone here has owned/ridden both extensively, and could give me some comparisons with the Specialized Enduros, which I've test ridden, and the size medium fits me very well. On paper, it looks like the Hollowpoint 17" will fit me as well, but I may not have that much time to test ride extensively.

The Hollowpoint Expert has much better components than the comparable Enduro (Comp), but my main comparison would be with an '03 Enduro I could pick up for $1000. Is it worth the $500 extra to pick up the Hollowpoint Expert?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    So, did you ride one? Did they set the rear shock up for your? What were your thoughts?

The two bike you mention definitely have different feels to them. I'm biased in that I rode some Horst-equipped Specializeds that I didn't care too much for, but then again I've had some pretty positive impressions of the old Horst-equipped Jamis Dakars. But my Hollowpoint has been my favorite by far (again, my bias is showing again).

How's the Supergo opening event deal? Worth checking out? I stopped by the week they opened back in April, but their stock was pretty thin and a truck full of merchandise pulled in as I was in the store. I'll should pop in again and see what's cooking.

Go Bears!
    Mar 2004
    Yeah I rode the HP along with a bunch of other bikes there. The HP definitely felt great. The suspension is very stable but compliant on bumps. There was very little pedal bob, probably due to both the design and the SPV shock. The only problem I had with it was that the handlebars are too wide. They bend at the exact points where I would need the hardware mounted, so I'd have to get another bar.

Supergo had a massive number of bikes. I didn't even work my way into the freeride/DH rows. As I left, the sales manager told me they cleared over $110k in sales that day.

Other than the HP, I rode an '03 Epic, '04 Stumpjumper, and an '03 Enduro. The epic was too stiff for me, but I had to try it out of curiosity. I just couldn't quite get the stumpy to fit me correctly, but the suspension is definitely very well designed, especially with the pro-pedal shocks. It's a more aggressive geometry than the HP or Enduro. The '03 Enduro (without propedal - I had ridden the '04s with it previously) felt great. A bit stiffer than the HP when in the 4" mode (good for launching off curbs and bunnyhopping), and a bit softer than the HP in the 5" mode. Neither setting had much rear end bob, but the Psylo in the front bobbed like a rowboat in a hurricane, but was otherwise very plush. I can't imagine how good this bike would feel with a custom Push'd shock.

All in all, I will probably go for a '03 Enduro on closeout when I get the budget figured out. The base '03 has everything the Comp I rode has, except slightly better wheels and the Psylo, but since I didn't like the Psylo anyways, I might as well grab the base Enduro from Center Cycle for $1000 and upgrade later. The HP is definitely neck and neck, with better components. Problem now is my budget. Kitchen remodels suck up so much $$$. Sigh....

Oh well. Definitely hit up the sale if you can. I'm going back on saturday to pick up some tools at 10% off, and maybe some balance bars at 50% off.