ntj
    guidedbybicycles

hollowpoint vs blur

Hey people,

I'm just new to mtbr forums, and pretty new to mountainbiking. I'm looking for a new trailbike that I can use for the occasional xc enduro race. I rode a friend's sc blur the other day and loved it, but I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare that bike to the hollowpoint team - crossmax xl, fsa carbon cranks and other awesome spec, it really caught my eye - or any hollowpoint for that matter. I live in Japan, and shops here don't usually let you do test rides, so any comments would be a huge help. Thanks.

mtbr member
    personally I'd get the IH if the price is right.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Ignoring the build spec, the difference in suspension performance is what puts the Hollowpoint over the Blur.

The VPP and dw-link may appear to be similar, but they're not. VPP definitely has the bigger marketing campaign and name cache behind it, but it also comes with a few negative traits that the dw-link avoids. Plus, as "cool" as the Santa Cruz brand is, Iron Horse had superior customer service, web forum presence, and -- heck, you can actually talk to their suspension guru, Dave Weagle, and get a good feel for what he has attempted to accomplish with his design.

What you'll get with the dw-link is a lack of driveline forces influencing the suspension performance, and no noticable pedal kick when the suspension cycles. VPP, on the other hand, stiffens up under hard pedaling, and has a unmistakable kick under compression.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntj
    Hey people,

I'm just new to mtbr forums, and pretty new to mountainbiking. I'm looking for a new trailbike that I can use for the occasional xc enduro race. I rode a friend's sc blur the other day and loved it, but I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare that bike to the hollowpoint team - crossmax xl, fsa carbon cranks and other awesome spec, it really caught my eye - or any hollowpoint for that matter. I live in Japan, and shops here don't usually let you do test rides, so any comments would be a huge help. Thanks.
    Hi there...... Sorry I can't be any help regarding your original query but I was wondering whereabouts in Japan you are? I'm currently living in Japan also, 30 mins north of Tokyo in a small city called Kawagoe (Saitama-Ken). Yeah you are right, its a bit of a pain not being able to test the bikes out before you buy. I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 at the moment but I've got an Ironhorse Sunday Team on order which should hopefully be getting to Japan at the end of January. With regard to getting either an Ironhorse or Santa Cruz, I can't really help you but I did go to a bike demo last weekend and there were lots of bike distributors there with the 2005 bikes. I was speaking to a guy that works for A&F which are the Santa Cruz distributors for Japan. He was a really nice guy but I've heard the same about Diatech (the Ironhorse distributors) so as far as distributors go for the two bike companies, both Diatech and A&F are amongst the best. Where do you go riding? For XC I mainly go around a place called Ogose, but for downhill (which I'll be getting more serious about when I get my Sunday Team) I got to Fujimi Panorama (the downhill "A" course on my Jekyll almost kills me). Cheers in advance
    Mark

ntj
    guidedbybicycles

cheers

Thanks to those who filled me in on the hollowpoint - I'm just trying to order an RL Expert from the U.S. now, I'll see how I go.

Mark, I live in Kashiwa, Chiba-Ken (40 mins from Tokyo). As for places to ride, I'm currently working on it! They don't pop up as easily as they do in my native Australia - most things in this area are covered in concrete. But I recently went an xc race in Noda city, which was fun, but that course is only open to customers of a certain shop (which I'm not) in Noda, or for races that they have every so often. I've also been to a decent xc bike park in Hitachi, with some nice descents, but you're right, Fujimi Panorama is the best I've seen here, my Haro Extreme X3 with a dc fork is a bit outclassed on the A course though. What's Ogose like?
    Thanks,
    Nigel.