mtbr member
    Mar 2004

hollowpoint sport or specialized sj fsr

Looking to move up to a FS bike and have narrowed my choice down to the two. Wondering what are the overall differences between the two as far as the suspension and riding styles. This will be mainly for XC on very bumpy trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

go with the hollowpoint

"This will be mainly for XC on very bumpy trails."

I had the fsr, fully upgraded with thousands invested.. I just sold it and bought the hollowpoint - It is great on rocky trails ,just absorbs them. The FSR is a good bike, but I think the HP beats it. In addition, its probably more efficient (I have the expert with SPV, which is VERY efficent) The new frames are also very rigid and reinforced, ultimately more durable than the FSR I suspect. (at leat my older one - I havent looked at the new FSRs)

On MTBR hiatus :(

I haven't compared specs...

Quote Originally Posted by seandm
    Looking to move up to a FS bike and have narrowed my choice down to the two. Wondering what are the overall differences between the two as far as the suspension and riding styles. This will be mainly for XC on very bumpy trails.
    ...on this years bikes, but last year an added benefit of going with Iron Horse was that you get a spec sheet full of aftermarket parts, not a bunch of house brand stuff.

I also happen to prefer the ride of the dw-link over the Horst links I've ridden, but the dw-link "natural stability" comes with a caveat: You pretty much have to find the pressure that works for you and leave it there. You can slightly over or under inflate the shock to modify the ride quality without affecting the bike's climbing performance.

But the truth is, the suspension pedals and responds so well, you won't be dissatisfied. And the '04 HPs with the air shock and beefed up rear triangle are a nice improvement over the '03 offering.