mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hollowpoint seat tube angle concern...

i am very interested in a hollowpoint due to the need for longer travel/plusher suspension. i have developed neck pain, so i have to minimize the impact on my body.

i tend toward steeper seat tube angles, and longer top tubes.
    the bikes i have owned with slacker seat tubes felt odd, and did not climb well. these were the NRS and a litespeed Pisgah. both bikes had shortish top tubes (especially the litespeed). maybe it was not the seat tube angle, but other issues that i did not discover.

my pedaling position is set up in relation to the pedals, so it seems strange that the seat tube angle would have any effect on handling.
    i do, however, prefer a more forward position (knees a few mm's forward of pedal spindle), which tends to artificially shorten the TT of a slack ST bike. then i compensate with a longer stem, and the bike handles lazily, and i feel too far forward on DH.

this may seem like a broad question, but does anyone else have a similar issue, or perhaps know if the slack seat tube on the hollowpoint would cause a similar problem?

thanks in advance,
    Bob

On MTBR hiatus :(
    This doesn't exactly address your question, but I hope it helps. I can tell in in general terms (having come off an NRS myself) that the Hollowpoint worked out to be the better climber of the two.

I was running the same 105mm travel fork on both bikes (the '01 NRS was designed with an 80mm fork in mind) but the front end on that bike tended to pop up alot more easily than the Hollowpoint. That was after I compensated for the higher front end with a longer, lower-rise stem to keep my riding position in check.

I don't know how tall you are or what size Hollowpoint you'd be a candidate for, but due to the generous standover clearance you can probably buy a size higher for the desired TT length and still maintain adequate clearance for the boyz.