Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Hollowpoint rear triangle question...

My friend was telling me he saw somewhere on MTBR that you can retrofit the 2003 models with the 2004 rear triangle. Is this possible and since there isn't a Ironhorse dealer around me whats the best way to go about this.

Thanks!

On MTBR hiatus :(

Holy crap Stosh, I'm gonna rat you out...

...to the RM crowd that you're slumming around at MTBR! Still enjoying the Hollowpoint?

That's the word, the new rear triangle fits last years' frame, but I don't know if it was written here on on hcor.net (or maybe even Ride Monkey?!?).

My guess is you (or any shop) would just call Iron Horse directly and they'd take care of business.

Looks like if you want to go whole hog and use the new stiffner block between the linkage plates, you would need to get new spacers for your shock. But I don't imagine that the block is a required component, and maybe not even included with the rear triangle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik
    ...to the RM crowd that you're slumming around at MTBR! Still enjoying the Hollowpoint?

That's the word, the new rear triangle fits last years' frame, but I don't know if it was written here on on hcor.net (or maybe even Ride Monkey?!?).

My guess is you (or any shop) would just call Iron Horse directly and they'd take care of business.

Looks like if you want to go whole hog and use the new stiffner block between the linkage plates, you would need to get new spacers for your shock. But I don't imagine that the block is a required component, and maybe not even included with the rear triangle?

I know nothing of this RM of which you speak.... *Runs out of thread*

j/k
    Yeah I love my bike and new frame.
    Problem is I've only been riding my hardtail because the Hollowpoint doesn't work well on the rollers. Fuggin cold snowy upstate NY.

I'll have to give IH a call when I get a minute.
    Any idea on cost? Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by stosh
    Fuggin cold snowy upstate NY.
    I shouldn't lament the early onset of 70░+ spring like conditions in NorCal, but I am holding on to three unused ski lift tickets and I'm worried I won't be able to use them. I hate skiing in anything above 50░ and won't make the trip.

Then again, the biking has been fabulous, and without the 3-4 hour drive to the slopes. Maybe now I'll stop complaining.

No idea on the price. Has SkaTodd been around here lately?

mtbr member
    I shouldn't lament the early onset of 70░+ spring like conditions in NorCal, but I am holding on to three unused ski lift tickets and I'm worried I won't be able to use them. I hate skiing in anything above 50░ and won't make the trip.

Then again, the biking has been fabulous, and without the 3-4 hour drive to the slopes. Maybe now I'll stop complaining.

No idea on the price. Has SkaTodd been around here lately?

yeah I'm kind of fishing with this thread hoping he'll bite before I go e-mail'ing IH.

I'll be in San Fran in Aug. I should have my bike with me

I'll be in NYC in April doing the tourist thing. I won't have my bike with me

But my wife wants to do the five borough bike tour + one other, so I guess that is a good compromise!

mtbr member

But my wife wants to do the five borough bike tour + one other, so I guess that is a good compromise!

I was just there this weekend.
    I was pissed because just 2min before I met up with my cousin a bunch of bikers rode past protesting the war. He said the leader was screaming "While you shop bombs drop" man I would have laughed so hard.

Anyway how long ya going for? Where ya staying? I had a ball there this weekend.
    Here is a picture. I'm not in this pic however. My GF is on the right cousin in the middle and cousin's GF on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyway how long ya going for? Where ya staying?
    Cool! We're only spending 6 days there. Not that I know where it is, but we staying at a place in Chelsea. We've already got Nicks tickets and hopefully Dave Letterman tickets, and besides the bike tours we'll be doing the usual museums and walking-n-gawking and I'm sure a couple of shows or concerts.

mtbr member
    Cool! We're only spending 6 days there. Not that I know where it is, but we staying at a place in Chelsea. We've already got Nicks tickets and hopefully Dave Letterman tickets, and besides the bike tours we'll be doing the usual museums and walking-n-gawking and I'm sure a couple of shows or concerts.

Nice! Prepare to be overwhelmed.

Are you meeting friends there or something?

Nice! Prepare to be overwhelmed.

Are you meeting friends there or something?
    Naw, neither of us has been to the east coast before, and to be honest, I need a vacation! Plan to do our thing there, make a B-line to visit some family on the way home, take a few more days off work, all this and make it back in time for Sea Otter!

mtbr member
    Naw, neither of us has been to the east coast before, and to be honest, I need a vacation! Plan to do our thing there, make a B-line to visit some family on the way home, take a few more days off work, all this and make it back in time for Sea Otter!

Sounds like fun. I see my powers still work here as I've turned this thread into a almost non mtnbiking thread.

IF you need any suggestions or have questions let me know.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

If I was able to ride, I'd offer to show you and your wife some NY trails. I could probably scare up a loaner bike for ya', and your wife might fit one of mine. I'm not too far up the Hudson from NYC. What are ya' riding for the tour?
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    If I was able to ride, I'd offer to show you and your wife some NY trails. I could probably scare up a loaner bike for ya', and your wife might fit one of mine. I'm not too far up the Hudson from NYC. What are ya' riding for the tour?

Where do you live?

Where do you live?
    Near Poughkeepsie.

mtbr member
    Near Poughkeepsie.

Me too, you ever ride MTA in Newburgh.

Thanks for the invite, but that's probably not a good idea considering the time we have. I'll mention it to Anne though -- who knows?

The tours I'm guessing are using rental grade "comfort" bikes.

mtbr member
    I'm the friend that sent Stosh over here - figured you could help him with his question - also wanted him to see your awesome pics of the differences between 2003 and 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    I'm the friend that sent Stosh over here - figured you could help him with his question - also wanted him to see your awesome pics of the differences between 2003 and 2004.
    Hey CT. And see? He's already got 10 posts under his belt. He's a natural, I tell ya!

Industry Loudmouth
    The 04 rear triangles will indeed fit onto 03 fronts. There will be a few extras available for aftermarket sales...and by few I really mean only a handful! The extra bolt on block isn't 100% needed. It will eliminate a tiny amount of the flex that is left. I'd imagine a few riders will ride w/o both the block and the hex brace to shave grams (especially HP RL owners).

And Nate, you DEFINATELY have to make an East Coast ride swing. The 5 boro tour is more a roadie/bike path oriented event. You need to truly sample some East Coast cuisine at P'kill, Mtn Creek, Mt Snow and then all of the other local ride spots throughout NY, NJ, CT, & MA. Plan on a solid 10 days

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Hey CT. And see? He's already got 10 posts under his belt. He's a natural, I tell ya!

Well the almost 10k on RM has made me a seasoned Pro!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    The 04 rear triangles will indeed fit onto 03 fronts. There will be a few extras available for aftermarket sales...and by few I really mean only a handful! The extra bolt on block isn't 100% needed. It will eliminate a tiny amount of the flex that is left. I'd imagine a few riders will ride w/o both the block and the hex brace to shave grams (especially HP RL owners).

And Nate, you DEFINATELY have to make an East Coast ride swing. The 5 boro tour is more a roadie/bike path oriented event. You need to truly sample some East Coast cuisine at P'kill, Mtn Creek, Mt Snow and then all of the other local ride spots throughout NY, NJ, CT, & MA. Plan on a solid 10 days

-ska todd

Thanks for the info Todd.

About when should I start pestering IH about the triangles?

Industry Loudmouth
    About when should I start pestering IH about the triangles?
    In about a month I'd say...

and you'd want to be pestering Bruce at ext 209

-ska todd

Me too, you ever ride MTA in Newburgh.
    Not in a few years, for a variety of reasons. Mostly because all the guys I used to ride there with all got married and/or quit mtbiking, and I never learned the trail system. My "home turf" is 909, and I like Blue Mountain as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    In about a month I'd say...

and you'd want to be pestering Bruce at ext 209

-ska todd

Nice, KICK ASS!
    I love my hollowpoint but the only thing that ever really rubbed me the wrong way was the tire clearance. You think if at all possible you could shoot me a PM or and e-mail with an approximate price range????????

mtbr member
    Not in a few years, for a variety of reasons. Mostly because all the guys I used to ride there with all got married and/or quit mtbiking, and I never learned the trail system. My "home turf" is 909, and I like Blue Mountain as well.
    I like 909 but it wasn't big enough and to many fire roads not enough single track.

Well I should be having a bunch of the guys from Ridemonkey meet up at MTA this summer if your interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast