mtbr member

Hollowpoint Geometry question

Just picked up a Hollowpoint Expert this weekend. Have not been able to make it to the trail yet but I am loving it so far (based on hopping around things in the neighborhood). My question is about how changing the rear travel setting affects the overall geometry of the bike. I understand the front-end changes (longer travel = slacker head-angle). And what sort of pressure should I be running in the Swinger? I'm 210-lbs loaded to ride. The shop did not give me any sort of manual with the bike and the Manitou site is a bit goofy.

Thanks in advance.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Just picked up a Hollowpoint Expert this weekend. Have not been able to make it to the trail yet but I am loving it so far (based on hopping around things in the neighborhood). My question is about how changing the rear travel setting affects the overall geometry of the bike. I understand the front-end changes (longer travel = slacker head-angle). And what sort of pressure should I be running in the Swinger? I'm 210-lbs loaded to ride. The shop did not give me any sort of manual with the bike and the Manitou site is a bit goofy.

Thanks in advance.
    Very interesting question that I haven't yet heard discussed. The new C-Dale Prophet, as an example, lists the change in HTA on the linkage for each of the two rear travel settings.

I would have to assume that with the HP, following the 1/3 sag rule for both settings, that you will get a slacker ride in the long travel setting. I wouldn't even begin to guess what that amounts to in degrees.

As for the Swinger setup, I wouldn't rely on Manitou's main chamber suggestions even if you find them -- sag is too important on this bike and factory recommendations are usually just generic ballpark figures. I'd set the main chamber up for 1/3 sag (~1/2" of shock stroke) and adjust from there based on SPV and damping needs.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Very interesting question that I haven't yet heard discussed. The new C-Dale Prophet, as an example, lists the change in HTA on the linkage for each of the two rear travel settings.

I would have to assume that with the HP, following the 1/3 sag rule for both settings, that you will get a slacker ride in the long travel setting. I wouldn't even begin to guess what that amounts to in degrees.

As for the Swinger setup, I wouldn't rely on Manitou's main chamber suggestions even if you find them -- sag is too important on this bike and factory recommendations are usually just generic ballpark figures. I'd set the main chamber up for 1/3 sag (~1/2" of shock stroke) and adjust from there based on SPV and damping needs.
    Haven't actually measured the HP myself but if the BB height increases at the long travel setting then the HTA angle will also increase. (aka Marin Wolf Ridge HTA is 69 at 4", 71 at 6")

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For the two travel settings on the Hollowpoint, shot for 25-33% sag. If you are riding more climbing go for a little less, it you are racing MTX, go a little more. The dw-link suspension will do all of the work to keep the bike accelerating efficiently, nd your sag level will determine ride attitude.

Both of the travel settings have identical geometry at rest when measured with an identical fork, but remember, as you sag less, your geometry will be effectively steeper. I recommend a 4 inch ork in the 3.75 position, adn a 5 inch fork in the 4.5 inch position.

Dave