Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hollowpoint frame differences between 03-04 Q's for SKA Todd

757 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  urmindseye 
#1 ·
OK, so my 2003 Team Hollowpoint frame's seat tube cracked and was just replaced by the black 2004 frame. I started to build it back up and first noticed the Thomson seat post didn't fit. Looks like the size went from a 27.0 to a 27.2. Is the larger diameter seat tube on the '04 to address the weakness of the 03's? Will the front derailleur need to be changed as well? I was able to obtain all the proper hardware necessary to mount the Fox AVA shock properly onto this frame from Supergo. Are there any more surpises waiting for me as I continue the build? thanks in advance.

#5 ·
definitely 27.2mm

ska todd said:
We have checked some frames here and they are 31.8mm OD w/ a 27.0mm ID. Did you check fit w/ a 27.2mm post?

-ska todd
sure did, took the frame back to Supergo and verified with them. They swapped the 27.0mm Thomson out for the 27.2mm. The 27.0mm post would just fall in the seat tube and rattle vs. the proper sizing (27.2mm) where the post is actually pushed into position and snugged with the seat clamp.

#6 ·
AZmtncycle said:
sure did, took the frame back to Supergo and verified with them. They swapped the 27.0mm Thomson out for the 27.2mm. The 27.0mm post would just fall in the seat tube and rattle vs. the proper sizing (27.2mm) where the post is actually pushed into position and snugged with the seat clamp.
Sounds like they reamed the ST out for a 27.2 instead. Hmm...

-ska todd

#7 ·
seat tube

ska todd said:
Sounds like they reamed the ST out for a 27.2 instead. Hmm...

-ska todd
highly unlikely, this is a new frame with no signs of wear/abuse on the seat tube. Even if was reamed, it would only be along the top. My entire 27.0mm Thomson post would basically fall all the way down the seat tube until it ran into the seat clamp. It was that loose. No big deal with the 27.2mm, I just thought this was now plan of record for 04's. Just thought I'd try to find out from the horse's mouth (no pun intended) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.