mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hollowpoint Expert w/ 3-Way/Black Platinum, need help on basic setup

So, I've read some stuff but I still can't find a basic pressure range for both and the SPV area on the 3Way. I am 160lbs, probably 170 with camelback etc on. What would be a basic pressure range that gets me into the ballpark of appropriate amount of sag for both? How high should I put the SPV chamber? What is a basic starting point for the rebound speed on the 3-Way? I ride single track, with some climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is a starting point
    http://ashwinearl.blogspot.com/2006/...etup-tips.html

Just start somewhere close. Pump the SPV to 50, pump up the main to 120, and put the rebound in the middle of the range. Check your sag. Then add/subtract air as needed.

Play with each setting (rebound, spv, main air) then recheck sag as each variable affects the other and affects sag.
    Ride, repeat for about a month and a half.

One thing with the 3 way I found was that once the platform threshold had been reached it seemed to blow through the travel. But it's still a great shock for the HP.

hope that helps
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly
    So, I've read some stuff but I still can't find a basic pressure range for both and the SPV area on the 3Way. I am 160lbs, probably 170 with camelback etc on. What would be a basic pressure range that gets me into the ballpark of appropriate amount of sag for both? How high should I put the SPV chamber? What is a basic starting point for the rebound speed on the 3-Way? I ride single track, with some climbing.
    For the Swinger 3-way, use the minimum SPV pressure, or 50 psi. It's okay to experiment with higher pressures, but I always thought the bike felt its best using minimal SPV pressure. Set the Swinger 3-way's air spring according to sag. Shoot for the 30%-33% vicinity. If you go much lower or higher than this range, you'll most likely see pedal induced bob.

The Manitou Black Platinum fork has an SPV chamber too. I never liked this fork on the Hollowpoint; the harshness of the SPV didn't seem to match the supple rear end very well. That said, I've started using this fork on a recently built hardtail and I love it. But I digress.... for the Hollowpoint, I liked the fork the best when running minimal SPV pressure too. (It's either 30 psi or 50 psi; I don't recall.) In spite of the air inflation valve, the Manitou Black Platinum is actually a coil fork. The SPV air chamber and volume adjuster is used to control platform and compression damping characteristics. You can affect sag by monkeying with the SPV pressure, but that's not really the right way to do it. The best way to adjust sag on this fork is by swapping in a different spring. There is no preload adjustment. You get whatever sag you get for a given spring. As I recall, the fork comes with a soft spring. Believe it or not, the soft spring gave me, a 205 lb rider, about the right amount of sag. Heavier riders might want to move up to the medium spring. There is an extra soft spring for lighter riders.

One issue to be aware of with this fork is that it's not uncommon for the SPV valve to fail. If this should happen, the SPV valve will be either stuck open or closed. If stuck open, the platform characteristics will disappear, you'll lose all rebound damping and the fork will bounce like a pogo stick. (When stuck open, the fork will feel pretty supple over moderatly bumpy terrain. Watch the bigger bumps though because the big dive followed by the undamped rebound can really throw you.) If stuck closed, you won't be able to utilize the fork's full travel and the ride will be very harsh.

HTH,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for all of the help!

GreeneDog
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    For the Swinger 3-way, use the minimum SPV pressure, or 50 psi. It's okay to experiment with higher pressures, but I always thought the bike felt its best using minimal SPV pressure. Set the Swinger 3-way's air spring according to sag. Shoot for the 30%-33% vicinity. If you go much lower or higher than this range, you'll most likely see pedal induced bob.
    I am thinking about trying a Swinger 3 way coil, what are your thoughts on this shock. Did you like it? Did you use the 30/8 reducers?

Thanks
    2012 Specialized Enduro Expert EVO
    2012 Specialized Status 2
    2007 Specialized SX
    2007 Specialized P1 Cromo

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by airtym
    I am thinking about trying a Swinger 3 way coil, what are your thoughts on this shock. Did you like it? Did you use the 30/8 reducers?
    I used a Swinger 3-way Air which came with the bike. (I have no experience with a Swinger coil.) The Swinger 3-way Air is not a bad shock for DW-Link so long as you use the minimum SPV pressure (50 psi).

My primary complaint about the Swinger 3-way Air is that I needed to get mine rebuilt twice. I got about 6 months of riding out of it each time. My recollection is that something went wrong with the SPV valve each time. (I also had problems with the SPV valve in the Manitou Black Platinum fork that came with the bike.)

My notes indicate that the 2004 Hollowpoint requires reducers that are 24mm wide (total) with an 8mm hole. A 2006 MkIII (and probably some other years as well) require reducers that are 30mm wide with an 8mm hole.