mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hollowpoint Expert vs. Hollowpoint RL Expert

Need a little advice in order to pull the final trigger! I'm 6', 190lbs, and simply want a great all around trail/xc bike. After several weeks of reading reviews and test riding more bikes than I care to admit, I've narrowed it down to the HP Expert. I was just about to head to the LBC and make the final purchase, when I noticed the RL Expert. I'm completely sold, hands down on the Expert; the test ride sealed it for me. However, I cannot find an RL anywhere but online, and therefore unable to take it for a spin. Can someone please gimme the skinny on the main differences between the two models?
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I recently purchased an Hollowpoint RL Expert, which I love! I looked at both the Expert and the RL Expert. I went with the RL primarily for weight savings. The main differences I could see were the forks, shocks, and wheelsets. I believe the Expert weighs in around 30 or 31 lbs and the RL weighs in around 28.

The differences I could see are:

The RL has a Manitou Skareb Elite Air front fork, Progressive 5th Element Air rear shock, and WTB LaserLite wheelset (WTB hubs on Mavic 717 Rims).

The Expert has a Manitou Black Platinum front fork, Manitou Swinger Air rear shock, and Mavic Crossland Argent wheelset.

There might be other differences that Ska Todd or someone else can point out, but I think these are the main big differences. You can look at the Iron Horse Website and checkout the specs on both bikes.

Hope this helps...good luck with the decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm very happy to hear you love your RL - it doesn't seem that there's many of them out there, and therefore I'm a bit apprehensive about buying it online without even the shortest test ride. Alright, it sounds so simple, that I'm having a difficult time with it! So, both bikes are very much the same, ie; similar componentry, suspension travel, etc. However, the RL is dressed with a few lighter items in an attempt at saving a few lbs. Here's my dumb question - Why would one not buy the lighter RL, for the same money, when it's going to give you the same plush ride as the slightly heavier Expert? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by XCDAWG
    I recently purchased an Hollowpoint RL Expert, which I love! I looked at both the Expert and the RL Expert. I went with the RL primarily for weight savings. The main differences I could see were the forks, shocks, and wheelsets. I believe the Expert weighs in around 30 or 31 lbs and the RL weighs in around 28.

The differences I could see are:

The RL has a Manitou Skareb Elite Air front fork, Progressive 5th Element Air rear shock, and WTB LaserLite wheelset (WTB hubs on Mavic 717 Rims).

The Expert has a Manitou Black Platinum front fork, Manitou Swinger Air rear shock, and Mavic Crossland Argent wheelset.

There might be other differences that Ska Todd or someone else can point out, but I think these are the main big differences. You can look at the Iron Horse Website and checkout the specs on both bikes.

Hope this helps...good luck with the decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one!
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by 121tp
    I'm very happy to hear you love your RL - it doesn't seem that there's many of them out there, and therefore I'm a bit apprehensive about buying it online without even the shortest test ride. Alright, it sounds so simple, that I'm having a difficult time with it! So, both bikes are very much the same, ie; similar componentry, suspension travel, etc. However, the RL is dressed with a few lighter items in an attempt at saving a few lbs. Here's my dumb question - Why would one not buy the lighter RL, for the same money, when it's going to give you the same plush ride as the slightly heavier Expert? Am I missing something?

If I recall correctly, the RL's were priced around $100 higher MSRP, and the prices compared to the non-RL's are equalizing only now due to clearance sales.

The RL frame is exactly the same frame as the non-RL Hollowpoint, save for the Ti hardware.

Given that, I'd choose based on componentry. For instance, at 200 pounds, the RL's Skareb would be a little flexy underneath me as compared to the Black found on the non-RL. I'd expect a similar story with the rims, though I don't know squat about either. And while I'd never base a bike buying decision based on the tires that come with, the 1.9" Ignitors versus the 2.3" Hansventure are another attempt to differentiate "Race Bike" from "Trail Bike".