mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hollowpoint Expert at Supergo

general questions first.

1. sizing -
    i'm just short of 6' and my inseam is 31"-32" (i'm not sure on the exact measurement)
    what size would most likely fit me? currently i'm riding a 18" trek 4300.

2. weight - what is the approximate weight of the Expert?

3. Supergo - if i buy the bike off the internet, does it come completely in pieces or is it partially assembled? does it require any special tools to assemble?

the 17" appears to be sold out, so i'm trying to see if the 19" would work, but based on the trek catalog the top tube length on my 4300 is 22.0" and the 19" of the Hollowpoint is listed as 23.8" on supergo.

thanks,
    kevin

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Zup hams.

I'm 6'1 and have a 33.5" inseam. I ride a 19", mainly because I like the effective top tube length it provides, but I've got a helluvalotta seatpost showing, and my stem has a stack of spacers under it to rival its 25 rise. And pleanty of clearance for the boyz, if you know what I mean. My guess is you would be perfectly fine on a 19", but if you're certain about the TT length you want, check out BicycleBuys.com for an alternative source for 17" frames at a comperable price.

The bike will come mostly assembled. You'll need to do some basic tightening -- things like the stem, brakes, pedals. It's supposed to come with the drivetrain pre-adjusted (just Supergo "doing their part" to unpack a perfectly well packed bike just to pack it up again), but expect to do some tweaking. You'll want to verify some torques on critical stuff, like crank bolts, shock & pivot bolts, and whatever else comes pre-fastened. Iron Horse's assembler is pretty good, but I've had some doozie's in the past from big names like Giant that come with all kinds of crap loose or hand tight, so it always pays to do a double check before you take it on the trail and wreck something because a bolt vibrated loose.

May contain nuts
    I'm 5'11"/ 31" and 19" frame is great for me.

I like Guiness
    Aug 2004
    I'm 5' 11 1/2" and I ride a 19". You will find it has a slightly longer top tube than some other 19's, but that was something I was looking for.

I've got mine set up with pretty light stuff and it rides at 31 lbs. You could probably take 1-2 lbs off if you really try.

MIne came as described above. Make sure to check the location of the front derailleur. Mine was set about 1.5 cm too high. I didn't notice it at first and it caused some distress.
    "Bad hair = good science" -me

"Two paths diverge in a wood, and I took the one more technical" (not always true)