mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hollowpoint Expert or RL Expert?!?!?

I need help. I am interested in buying a Hollowpoint. I weigh 200 lbs. I am 6 feet tall. I like to go cross country riding with a little jump there and huck here. I am a lousy climber, but getting better. I am able to descend like a mad man.

I am interested in two models, Expert and RL Expert. I understand that the Expert model weighs 31.5 lbs and the RL Expert weighs 27 lbs.

I am leaning towards the Expert model because of the more sturdier wheels and hubs due to my weight. I could swap in my Race Face Next crankset to shave off a little weight.

What do you think?

Woofy100

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woofy100
    I need help. I am interested in buying a Hollowpoint. I weigh 200 lbs. I am 6 feet tall. I like to go cross country riding with a little jump there and huck here. I am a lousy climber, but getting better. I am able to descend like a mad man.

I am interested in two models, Expert and RL Expert. I understand that the Expert model weighs 31.5 lbs and the RL Expert weighs 27 lbs.

I am leaning towards the Expert model because of the more sturdier wheels and hubs due to my weight. I could swap in my Race Face Next crankset to shave off a little weight.

What do you think?

Woofy100
    The regular expert also has different fork i believe, with bigger stanchions which shhould be better at your weight.

mtbr member
    Get the Expert over the RL expert and if you can see if you can even swap out the fork from the Expert for something possibly a step above the Manitou Black Platinum that comes stock on it.

mtbr member
    Woofy - had the same dilemma myself the other week. RL is more of a XC machine, plain Expert tougher wheelset and more travel on the fork (and a nicer shade of silver IMO). Went for the Expert, not the RL. Up to you really depending on your riding style, but it sounds like the Expert is more your kettle of fish.
    Brick walls are there for a reason...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Get the Expert over the RL expert and if you can see if you can even swap out the fork from the Expert for something possibly a step above the Manitou Black Platinum that comes stock on it.
    Ummm... I am not really familiar with Manitou models. I had been using a 2003 Rock Shox SL 100. It is okay. It just needs an overhaul. Is it better than the Manitou Black Platinum?

Lately, I have been drooling at the Fox Float 100 RLC. I test rode a Specialized Epic with the Fox fork a while back at this special test ride event hosted by Cyclery Trail. It was heaven. But the price is hell, at least 400 dollars. Smile...

Rufus

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheBrit
    Woofy - had the same dilemma myself the other week. RL is more of a XC machine, plain Expert tougher wheelset and more travel on the fork (and a nicer shade of silver IMO). Went for the Expert, not the RL. Up to you really depending on your riding style, but it sounds like the Expert is more your kettle of fish.
    Yeah... Like I said, I am leaning towards the Expert because it would be able to withstand my weight when I go riding better. I recognize that it is not designed for deep drops, like at least 4 feet or so.

But I am really concerned that it would affect me to climb up the hills. I have read other messages that the Hollowpoint is a very good bike to climb than the one I have now.

Yes... Smile... I like the color better. My Race Face Next crankset is red. Who cares? They wouldn't match. That would only annoy my wife. Hehehehe!!!

Rufus