mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Help my 7Point9 Shock/Linkage problem

Right this is driving me insane. Mostly because it is stopping me from riding but also because no one has an answer for me.
    My frame is a lovely new 06 7Point9 with DHX air but I have a problem with it. The problem is that when I have normal pressures in the shock the top shock hole sits about 1/2 a mil too high to get the little axle through. The lower linkage also make contact with the frame on the non drive side of the BB shell. The bit it actually makes contact with is the chamfer between the BB shell and seat tube. This is when the rear end is fully extended.
    The way I see it is:
    1.My shock has over extended by a bit
    2.The rear end is being restricted form fully extending because of where the bottom mount hits the frame.

As I said above no one has been able to help me .I tried contacting Iron Horse but haven't had a reply or anything from them.

Any help would be really really great.The bike will keep taunting me till I can get this sorted.

Just another FOCer
    Wow, I thought the 7Point9 didn't exist.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_4th
    My frame is a lovely new 06 7Point9 with DHX air but I have a problem with it. The problem is that when I have normal pressures in the shock the top shock hole sits about 1/2 a mil too high to get the little axle through. The lower linkage also make contact with the frame on the non drive side of the BB shell. The bit it actually makes contact with is the chamfer between the BB shell and seat tube. This is when the rear end is fully extended.

As I said above no one has been able to help me .I tried contacting Iron Horse but haven't had a reply or anything from them.
    Please contact your Iron Horse distributor about this. It looks like the 8.75" upper links were shipped with your frame. You need 9" upper links to use the 9"x2.75" DHX Air shock.

Who at Iron Horse have you been emailing as I personally receive most of the consumer inquiries and have not received any regarding this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Only frame kits shipped to Europe and the UK.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I used the contact form on the main site so that could be why nothing came of it.

Is there anyway of me being able to tell that they are the wrong plates just to make sure. Any markings or specific measurements?

Cheers for the help ,was getting close to getting out the hammer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    yeah, what he said.

Looking good!

PS- see if you can keep those 8.75" links in addition to the 9" ones- then you'll have more shock options

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_4th
    Is there anyway of me being able to tell that they are the wrong plates just to make sure. Any markings or specific measurements?
    You'd have to hold the two links up next to each other to see the difference. They are pretty similar but the hole for the 9" one sits a tad higher. We have them in stock and can ship to your distributor.

-ska todd

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Sometimes I wish I had bought a medium even if I'm 6'4". I hope I never ride a medium 7Point and realize I made a mistake. But this is one of those times, and also one of those times when I think about having my frame repainted white or black.

I gotta keep riding. When I'm not I'm thinking stupid things, clearly....
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I know some people really like small bikes, but I can't imagine a medium frame fitting you well.

I think you made the right choice

...unless your got really short arms and legs or something...

Stand back
    Wow, that is a really nice looking 7 point. Makes me miss mine.
    But my new Sunday helps me forget...

And once the 6 Point is out, I may not feel the need for the 7 point anymore, either.
    C'mon, 6 Point!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Solar....on paper it all sounds right, but I'll always wonder if I should have gotten a 17" until I some day get a chance to ride one, hopefully with an 888. Hehe. I still wonder if I should have gone with an 888 instead of the 66 and if I don't have an 888 on there by the end of the year I'll be surprised.

Grass is always greener....
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey Thomas,

I think your making everyone jealous on this forum. That bike is sweet ! Can you tell us what the weight of it is ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    At least you guys can ride your bikes.I had to wait ages for this frame to come into the UK and now I can't even ride it when I have it.I'll make up for all my missed riding with my one month trip to Whistler though.
    The paint is really nice in the flesh,it has those little metal flecks in it.Just a real shame that all you have to do is look at it funny and it flakes off.
    The whole thing weighs around 39lbs and that's with big fat DH tubes in.