mtbr member

help buying a used bike.

so first of all, hello. I'm new to this whole mountain biking and am looking forward to get into it routinely. I wanted to start a while ago but didn't have the time.

my question is this: I saw a listing for a used iron horse. the owner said the chain slips occasionally and that a tire is flat. I'm assuming the tire isn't a problem. but the chain?

he wants $150, which is way doable for me at the moment. I just want a very entry level bike for light trails.

would this be a decent buy?

I've added the picture since I couldn't get an answer as far as model from the person selling it.

thanks in advance for any help.

meow.
    Last edited by iamunchien; 05-28-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Dropshot Champ!
    ...what iron horse is it? they made a bunch of different bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It depends on the reason the chain is slipping. If it's slipping because the limit screws on the derailleur are a little off or the cable tension is off, all it would take would be a tune-up and it should be good to go. If the chain is slipping because the derailleur is bent or the cassette/freewheel is bent the solution could be much more expensive.

mtbr member
    @redmr2_man: i asked him for the model but he didn't reply to me.

@whyytee: hm. good info. would it be easy to check the derailleur or cassette to see if that's the issue?

complete noob here. i deeply apologize.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The best way to have the derailleur and freewheel/cassette checked would be to bring it to a bike shop but since it isn't your bike that might not be possible. If you have the bike in the highest gear (smallest cog) in the rear, pedal slowly and check that the derailleur/chain is lined up with the smallest cog and the chain is not rubbing on either the next cog or the frame. If it is misaligned or rubbing the lower limit screw may need adjustment. Also, while still in high gear (while pedaling slowly) manually move the derailleur through all the gears by pushing it. If you can push it all the way past the largest cog the upper limit needs adjusting. When you have the derailleur pushed to the largest cog, let go of the derailleur while still peddling, the chain should drop back into the smallest cog without overshooting (another way to test the lower limit.

You can also spin the freewheel/cassette and watch the cogs for straightness. If it is a freewheel you will always see a slight wobble, but it will be the entire gear set moving on the hub. If you see individual cogs that appear warped the freewheel/cassette may need replacing.

Obviously these will only be useful if you can actually see the bike in person and are able to look over it. Did the seller say what gears the chain was slipping in? If it is only slipping on a few mid gears it may just be a simple cable tension fix