mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Help with 04 Expert stem size

Hi, newbie here, this expert is my first bike. After my first time riding it, i was in a lot of pain down in my "taint" area. I tried lowering the nose of the seat down and also dropping the seat post a bit and it help a little.

Im thinking that i need a taller stem on my handlebars because i also feel like im leaning down onto the handlebars and also i heard this could effect the way i sit on the seat.

so i guess i need to know what size the original EA50 stem is and any recommendations on stems that will raise the handlebars a bit. Unfortunately though im not sure how much higher it needs to be.

any help would be greatly appreciated

mtbjk

bike set up

dont tilt the nose of the seat down for it will put undo pressure on your rists you need to keep the front of the seat with a slight up tilt and as for the stem you should make sure you have the handelbars set properly Im assuming you have riser bars so make sure you have the riser part of the bar in a vertical position so it keeps your hands flat and keeps the back sweep of the bars in the proper position for your hands to be comfertible and as for the stem lenth and angel depends on the size of the frame and the angel that you hands set comfortable on the bars you probably have a 10 degree rise in the stem so you may want to look for a 25 or 30 degree rise in a stem to get the bars higher and to fill more comfortable hope this helps and experement with differant settings untill you fill comfortable and get used to the bike also the more time you spend in the saddel the better it will fill and it will hurt less the more you ride try to get on your bike atleast a couple times aweek so you can get used to it and also you might want to experiment with for and aft movement in the seat to get in a better position have a good next ride and experiment with differant settings

120 pounds of xc sex!

!!!!!

That was one long ass sentence. heh. Anyways, you can first try putting another spacer to make the handlebars a tiny bit closer to you (if the sterrer tube, which is attached to the fork, is long enough.)

Try some stems out, the problem is, when you go for a stem with more of a angle, (like the ones, mentioned above, 20, 25, 30 degrees) it provides more slack, which in turns makes a more downhill, oriented ride, which is not the best for turns/climbing.

haha...Frank you better be riding your new bike and getting it dirty man!!!!!!

(i got a stem for you to try out, but its damn heavy)
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

120 pounds of xc sex!

actually-I dont know I can go for ride this weekend, Im going to the bay for a couple of days. If you want to go on a ride, post 5 pm on thrusday, get back to me. (i can meet you at carbon caynon.)

later
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<