Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes IH2 Disk Brake Adjustment?

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  burtronix 
#1 ·
My Iron Horse Warrior Team SE came equiped with Hayes IH2 disk brakes. In the service manuals for disk brakes (Park's Big Blue Book & Bike Garage DVD), they indicate there will be an adjustment knob to adjust the fixed-pad spacing as the pad wears. Well, on the IH2 there is no such knob - only what appears to be a cover plate with a 5mm hex hole & a set-screw at the top of the brake body to hold it in place (see the picture). I have not been able to find adjustment instructions or guidelines anywhere. I'm going to open it up this weekend & see if I can figure it out. I'm dissapointed in this design, but my dissapointment will be mild or severe depending on what I find:

1. Mild dissapointment if it is adjustable, but only with tools. Especially since the small set-screw is for an allen-wrench size I don't typically carry in my trail kit. :mad: But at least I will be able to center the brak-pad pad pull around the disk as the pads wear, and I can add the small allen wrench to my kit.

2. Severe dissapointment if there is no adjustment at all & I have to live with increasing disk deflection as the pads wear & probably change out the pads before they are fully worn just to center them around the disk.:madmax:

Does anybody have experience with these, or can Iron Horse chime in? Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's how...

Loosen small set screw to unlock pad adjustment, turn pad adjustment with 5mm hex to account for pad wear. Retighten small set screw to lock in place. Sorry no finger adjustment on that model. Our web site has manuals. The brake is the same as the MX2 just made for Iron Horse with the IH2 name.

Ride and smile.

Randy

#4 ·
Randy@Hayes said:
Loosen small set screw to unlock pad adjustment, turn pad adjustment with 5mm hex to account for pad wear. Retighten small set screw to lock in place. Sorry no finger adjustment on that model. Our web site has manuals. The brake is the same as the MX2 just made for Iron Horse with the IH2 name.

Ride and smile.

Randy
Thanks Randy. I'll give your website a look. BTW, is the simpler MX2/IH2 mechanism lighter than the models with finger adjustments? If so, it could be a selling point & make me feel better about needing to carry another tool.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.