mtbjk

has anyone had an 04 hollowpoint crack

I have had 2 03 frames both crack on the seat tube just below the weld. Im told that
    the 04 frames are not doing this if true please post and let me know. I tore down my 03 team today and will drop it off at the LBS on monday. I talked to Bruce at IH on Friday and he said that they will replace it with the 04 frame this time. Bruce also said that the 04 frames are useing a thicker seat tube and that the welding process has been changed. Im looking forward to receiving the new frame being it has the new style control arm on it and I will be able to run a bigger tire.Hats off to Bruce in customer service and to Tod for being so infomative to us all. I have never had a problem reaching either one of them. Also one more question. is the shck bushing the same widthe on the 04 as the 03 so I am sure everything will bolt back on. any help please, I do delieve that the 04 frame will look good with all the 03 expert components on it witch was the first one purchased.
    Last edited by Jan R; 08-21-2004 at 07:40 PM.

May contain nuts
    03 seatpost 27.2, 04 27.0mm. You will need a new post...

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    03 seatpost 27.2, 04 27.0mm. You will need a new post...
    Haggis, are you sure that's not the other way around? My early '03 has a 27.0mm post. I was going to swap with one of my other bikes and I couldn't.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Haggis, are you sure that's not the other way around? My early '03 has a 27.0mm post.
    You're correct -- '03 and '04 are both 27.0, but someone just recently posted they bought a "fluke" '04 with a 27.2.

I should mention that I'm still riding my original '03 frame -- all 200+ pounds of me -- with no cracks or any other problems to complain about. This bike has been nothing but good to me.

trail "cleaner"

fluke 04 hollowpoint replacment frame

Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    You're correct -- '03 and '04 are both 27.0, but someone just recently posted they bought a "fluke" '04 with a 27.2.

I should mention that I'm still riding my original '03 frame -- all 200+ pounds of me -- with no cracks or any other problems to complain about. This bike has been nothing but good to me.
    uh, I guess that would be me. The seat tube on my 04 replacement frame has ID of 27.2 mm and a OD of 32.2mm. I did manage to get the 31.8mm front derailleur to bolt up OK. I'm very curious to hear if anybody else got 04 frames like mine.
    No dabs allowed!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycle
    The seat tube on my 04 replacement frame has ID of 27.2 mm and a OD of 32.2mm.
    Oh, didn't realize you had an out of spec OD as well. Does that make it a collector's item, like the stamp with the upside down airplane?

My sis bought an '04 maybe 6 weeks ago and we swapped seatpost on the spot (for one longer), and the 27.0 fit the bill. Just last week I was playing with seatposts on my '03 and again, 27.0 they were.

Hey, you didn't happen to notice if they accidentally welded a OnePointFive head tube on yours?!?

trail "cleaner"

same sized head tube

Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Oh, didn't realize you had an out of spec OD as well. Does that make it a collector's item, like the stamp with the upside down airplane?

My sis bought an '04 maybe 6 weeks ago and we swapped seatpost on the spot (for one longer), and the 27.0 fit the bill. Just last week I was playing with seatposts on my '03 and again, 27.0 they were.

Hey, you didn't happen to notice if they accidentally welded a OnePointFive head tube on yours?!?
    Fortunately, it's the same 1 1/8" zero stack head tube. This weekend I pressed in the original headset from my 03. The rebuild process is going slow.
    No dabs allowed!