i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

New question here. Front derailleur spec for 2003 SGS

After spending a painful day of pushing my 2003 SGS Pro up the same little hill so I could hit this cool ladder drop, I decided that while I love the setup for downhill I need some freakin' mechanical advantage for freeriding. I.e., I'm putting 22/32 rings on this bad boy for the Shore. (I am keeping the downhill stuff and swapping in when necessary, however.)

Anybody got the seattube diameter spec off the top of your head?

Incidentally, I can go with a standard top pull der, right? I don't have to use an etype or something else funky, do I?

Any advice from someone who's done this conversion?

Thanks!

large member
    Dude, there's a lot more to it than that, unfortunately!

1st of all, the 100mm BB shell means that a normal derailleur won't reach from that der. stub - the stub is really just cosmetic as far as I can tell.

You'll have to get an Evil DRS E-type guide, and bolt that to the ISCG mounts on the frame. Then, get an E-type derailleur and bolt that to the chainguide (the guide takes the place of the BB mount that's attached to the derailluer; unbolt the der's bb mount and bolt the remaining der. cage onto the DRS guide). It's important that you get the E-type DRS, not the normal one.

Finally, you gotta rig up a cable stop, because there is none. The way I did it, the der. stub came in handy here (I had a top pull derailleur). You will probably have to cobble something together, as I did and use a hose clamp or something to hold it onto the der. stub. If you use a bottom-pull derailleur, it might end up being easier, I dunno really?
    ~~HCOR.net~~
    East Coast, beyotch!

Jan 2004

Good job! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sub6
    Dude, there's a lot more to it than that, unfortunately!
    There always is, damnit...

Finally, you gotta rig up a cable stop, because there is none. The way I did it, the der. stub came in handy here (I had a top pull derailleur). You will probably have to cobble something together, as I did and use a hose clamp or something to hold it onto the der. stub. If you use a bottom-pull derailleur, it might end up being easier, I dunno really?
    Cool...could you snap a pic and post it? Love to see what it looks like...

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh
    Cool...could you snap a pic and post it? Love to see what it looks like...
    The bike is disassembled at the moment (the ol' winter once-over) but here's the frame w/ cable stop on it. The cable stop came off my Proflex 856 back in the '90s; it was mounted to the swingarm to run cantilever brakes. I'm glad I didn't throw it away!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~HCOR.net~~
    East Coast, beyotch!

Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

The bike is disassembled at the moment (the ol' winter once-over) but here's the frame w/ cable stop on it. The cable stop came off my Proflex 856 back in the '90s; it was mounted to the swingarm to run cantilever brakes. I'm glad I didn't throw it away!
    Thanks, bud...that is one cool-ass mod!