mtbr member

Fox RP23 on Iron Horse Azure

The stock Float R which came on my 2007 Iron Horse Azure appears to have packed in. Rather than spending on rebuilding it I was considering upgrading to a newer shock. I have read through a number of older posts regarding platform shocks on DW link bikes and realise they need to have limited compression tuning but was wondering if anyone had any experience running a newer model Float RP23 with Boost Valve on an Azure and if it improved the suspension performance?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had gotten a 5th element that had come off a Santa Cruz tuned by garageworks. I told him it was specifically for a DW link and have him my weight and ride style. Aren't there several shock tuning outfits out there like Push, etc.

I think it's worth getting it tuned properly for the bike and your weight/ride style. It's also equally important to setup the front fork to have similar personality as the shock. When they are balanced together it improves ride quality a lot. So if you have platform on the shock make sure you have the option on the fork.

The third major component I see that really unlocks the Azure's potential is light weight wheels. When I'd gone between the stock wheelset and a stans/WTB laser disc lite W/tubeless tires it was night/day. A side note is also making the effort to stay in the middle ring as much as possible. The bike seems designed around middle ring performance for climbing. Every time I have to go down to granny it seems to lose some of its tightness.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer