trail "cleaner"

New question here. Fox AVA float RL fit for a hollowpoint?

OK, I built up my warranty replacement Hollowpoint ('04) and have found that the Fox Float AVA RL will only work on the upper (shorter travel) link as shown in the photo. When I flipped the spacer and installed the shock on the lower link, the spacer runs into the shock whenever the suspension is activated. So... all of you Hollowpoint experts (aka Todd)
    what should I do to obtain the full travel out of this frame? The '03 frame didn't have the spacer block between the links so it was no problem. Any Ideas?
    Last edited by AZmtncycler; 06-03-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    wow the used frame I'm looking at has the same shock in the same mounting hole. now I really think I'll pass on it.

Riding a Rig.
    did you try flipping it over?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycle
    OK, I built up my warranty replacement Hollowpoint ('04) and have found that the Fox Float AVA RL will only work on the upper (shorter travel) link as shown in the photo. When I flipped the spacer and installed the shock on the lower link, the spacer runs into the shock whenever the suspension is activated. So... all of you Hollowpoint experts (aka Todd)
    what should I do to obtain the full travel out of this frame? The '03 frame didn't have the spacer block between the links so it was no problem. Any Ideas?
    dont pass on the bike first of all I also have an 03 setup on the 04 and my 04 came with the spacer also but my 03 shock setup had the wide bushings that will not fit the block anyways so just remove it if you have the 03 shock setup and put it in the 4.5 setting problem solved. now if you dont have the wide bushings in the shock just take and turn the shock over and put the dampening and air fill side towards the front tryied it on mine to see if it would clear and it does this does not change how the shox functions and i believe the width at the eyelets of the shock are the same on the 04 setup on both ends now if you dont want to flip the shock like i said you can call IH and have them ship the wide bushings for the shock and leave it as you have it and just remove the block problems is solved I did also cheat so i could see if there was any differance with the spacer there or not and beleive me i go in at 220 pd's and i cant tell the differance and the 04 frame is a lot less side flexy than the 03 to witch i thought was fine to begine with so you have a few choices and its quit a simple fix good luck and enjoy the ride the fox ava works very well on this frame and i do recomend if you are over 175 pd's to turn the air can volume in all the way so you dont bottom out all the time good luck
    Jan R Ride On

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    wow the used frame I'm looking at has the same shock in the same mounting hole. now I really think I'll pass on it.
    CTRider I would recomend not passing on this frame for it truly is an awsome bike and works very well and in all conditions it fills as though the suspension has an endless amount of travel but yet climbs like a mule and handels like a race hardtail for you would truly be missing out on one of the best good luck and go get that bike
    Jan R

mtbr member
    Jan - I guess I see your solution to the shock issue - but I still fear that the 19" medium frame would be too long for me and I'd be unhappy on it.

I've been trying to locate some 2004 Hollowpoints to test ride, but I can't find a dealer within 50 miles of me who has any in stock right now.

trail "cleaner"

tried flipping it over but...

yep, I tried to flip the shock over but then the lockout hits the spacer. If I switch end to end and swap bushings, I lose the lockout feature as it's made to be activated by pulling the one direction only. I like the idea of using the longer bushings but won't that make the linkage weaker? I thought the reason for the spacer was to stiffen this area up?
    No dabs allowed!

mtbjk
    yep, I tried to flip the shock over but then the lockout hits the spacer. If I switch end to end and swap bushings, I lose the lockout feature as it's made to be activated by pulling the one direction only. I like the idea of using the longer bushings but won't that make the linkage weaker? I thought the reason for the spacer was to stiffen this area up?
    AZ do you really need to have a lock out on this frame anyways never have found a need for it and the bike works so well why do you need it. heck just flip[ it and go to the long travel setting and dont worry about the lock out and as far as stiffness the 03 frame did not have it and you dont really need it so take it off save a few grames and make it easy to adjust your travel setting Jan R

mtbr member
    This is a tricky one - so you got a new replacement frame but the shock that came with your original frame won't actually fit on the new frame properly is that correct?

Didn't the 2004s come with Manitou or 5th element shocks?

I wonder if IH would do a shock swap with you to fix this problem?

I mean the rider shouldn't have to make compromises on a replacement frame should he/she?

trail "cleaner"

yes, it's a replacement frame

and no IH didn't send a shock with it. This is a good shock but I was hoping to have it set up just like the 03 this frame replaced. I might just swap end to end and ditch the Lockout. I rarely use it but it was nice to have especially when sprinting on the pavement or on long climbs.
    No dabs allowed!

trail "cleaner"

problem solved

So... I swapped the shock end to end. Removed the remote lockout and now I've got the long travel and still have the lockout (well, I do have to reach down and flip the knob). It's all good now! thanks to all for the suggestions.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That's great! The feedback you got is one of the Main reasons I picked the IH! Great bunch of riders

mtbr member
    Excellent and it looks like you don't have to reach all that far down to reach the lockout feature either and I suspect you'd only use it on pavement.

Glad it all worked out for ya.

Can you post a photo of your whole bike when it's fully built up for me?

Thanks!

Mark

trail "cleaner"

Here's the bike built and ready for action

I broke it in the day after thanksgiving (had to work off all those calories) and she rode like a dream. It feels a little stiffer (laterally) than the 03 frame it replaced. Granted, I rode it in the short travel set up so now I'm chomping to hit the trail in the longer travel set up.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbjk
    I broke it in the day after thanksgiving (had to work off all those calories) and she rode like a dream. It feels a little stiffer (laterally) than the 03 frame it replaced. Granted, I rode it in the short travel set up so now I'm chomping to hit the trail in the longer travel set up.
    AZ great looking ride and great set up on the fork the post and picture shows exactly what I was trying to tell you..Now my original 03 frame came with the 03 float r ava without lock out so I did not have that problem but I just have the wide bushings in the shock wich keeps me frome useing the spacer block on the dampaning end of the shock but I have found no reason to really use it. For the bike definitly feels less side flexy than the 03 without the spacer block I guess maybe I will call IH and have them send me the shock bushings so that I can try it with the block and see if it is actually even better than i thought it could be and as for the improperly set up shock it works perfectly fine. Just have to use the 03 style set up and IH did not have to send the shock for it works fine. nothing improper actually with that setup. Hopefully I can get a picture posted of my build in the next week or so. Had a freind take some pictures this past monday on are ride and is supposed to email them to me so I can post a picture. also for CT I am a male not female incase the name has fooled you. Such as the song a boy named sue. Az that truely is a great looking ride. and thats kinda what I wanted also but instead I got the 04 comp blue frame and I totally am impressed with it I think it looks Great try to get picture posted real soon. Jan R Ride On
    Last edited by Jan R; 12-02-2004 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan,

What made you think I thought you were a female?

AZ - nice rig! What's the weight on that thing anyway?? I'm in search of a sub 28 pound bike for my next trail/XC rig.

trail "cleaner"

not <28 pounds

Well, even with the trick tubeless wheelset CK ISO's and Mavic 819's/ and full XTR, she still is @28-30 pounds. With all the bracing in the linkage now, its a little heavier than the '03 frame. I don't really notice the weight though. It goes right where I point it whether it be steep climbs or wicked decents. I have three other bikes (Mountain Cycle San Andreas, Cove Stiffee and a SS). This one is more predictable than the others and is my trail bike.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbjk
    So... I swapped the shock end to end. Removed the remote lockout and now I've got the long travel and still have the lockout (well, I do have to reach down and flip the knob). It's all good now! thanks to all for the suggestions.
    Az I see by this pic that you are running the ava at almost the full open position Ive tried mine at that setting in the long travel and the bike fills to soft and bottoms out quite easy as to running the ava all the way closed the bike is still verry plush but ramps up faster and keeps it from bottoming out all the time I do use it up but only on the bigger hits and i never can tell that it is bottoming and the travel fills endless how much do you weigh I go in at about 220 with gear and run mine fully closed in the long travel all the time now just fills alot better that way and the setup info I used was from Tod for my weight and it is recommended to run closed in the long travel setting anyways Does yours bottom out and fill really cushy or does it fill right for you Jan R Ride On

trail "cleaner"

Yep, I need to turn it in 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by Jan R
    Az I see by this pic that you are running the ava at almost the full open position Ive tried mine at that setting in the long travel and the bike fills to soft and bottoms out quite easy as to running the ava all the way closed the bike is still verry plush but ramps up faster and keeps it from bottoming out all the time I do use it up but only on the bigger hits and i never can tell that it is bottoming and the travel fills endless how much do you weigh I go in at about 220 with gear and run mine fully closed in the long travel all the time now just fills alot better that way and the setup info I used was from Tod for my weight and it is recommended to run closed in the long travel setting anyways Does yours bottom out and fill really cushy or does it fill right for you Jan R Ride On
    Good catch JanR. I usually turn the AVA in 1/4 of the distance as when full length, I too was bottoming the suspension out. I only need a 3/4 of the AVA to make the suspension feel bottomless as I weigh 175. I'll probably dial it before the next ride. thx!
    No dabs allowed!

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Good catch JanR. I usually turn the AVA in 1/4 of the distance as when full length, I too was bottoming the suspension out. I only need a 3/4 of the AVA to make the suspension feel bottomless as I weigh 175. I'll probably dial it before the next ride. thx!
    I've got an e-mail from IH on set-up tips from when I bought my '03 Hollowpoint. They recommend running the AVA no more than 1/2 open, because it needs to ramp up to keep from bottoming out. Their instructions say to start with it screwed all the way closed, set sag and test it. They only suggest opening it up in small increments until you get full travel. I cut to the chase and set mine at 1/2 open (or is it 1/2 closed?), and I can get full travel without bottoming. FWIW, I weigh about 130-135 with a full Camelback.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbjk

narrow shock spacer

Called Ih friday and will have thenarrow bushings probly by the end of next week and then I also can try the spacer block to see if it actually improves on what i have now will post when I get it set up and do a ride Jan R Ride On

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I've got an e-mail from IH on set-up tips from when I bought my '03 Hollowpoint. They recommend running the AVA no more than 1/2 open, because it needs to ramp up to keep from bottoming out. Their instructions say to start with it screwed all the way closed, set sag and test it. They only suggest opening it up in small increments until you get full travel. I cut to the chase and set mine at 1/2 open (or is it 1/2 closed?), and I can get full travel without bottoming. FWIW, I weigh about 130-135 with a full Camelback.

Kathy :^)
    Lucky you light weights can get away with it at half closed but us heavyweights have to close it up allthough in the short travel setting i do leave it at half closed and it works good if i close it in the short travel setting it ramps up way to fast and begins to have a harsh ride and by the way I do like your 03 team yellow frame the build is nice and I liked the bash gard that you added it looks great and im sure it rides great to enjoy and ride on
    Jan R