_y5
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Fox 32 Talas on Azure

Hi,

I have a 17" Azure factory frame and I'm thinking about putting the 2011 Talas fork that has a setting for 110 and 140 mm of travel.

Will a longer travel fork damage the frame? The Azure has the same head tube as the MKIII, but not sure if the build is strong enough.

Some of the trails I ride are rocky and on many of the descents I don't feel comfortable with the current Reba 100 mm and walk a few of the sections I would like to ride.

I'm thinking the 110/140 mm would work well. On less technical trails I could run it at 110mm but be able to seutp 140mm for the more technical trails.

My other option is to run the 32F 120mm fork. This would save 1/2 pound.

Has anyone run a longer fork on the Azure and what has been your experience?

Thanks,

_y5

mtbr member
    I haven't run a longer fork on my Azure, but I believe the frame was designed to accommodate a fork with maximum 120mm of travel. Running a longer travel fork won't void your warranty (what warranty?), but the bikes handling might be compromised. An extra 20mm won't boost your confidence if the bike suddenly handles like poo!

First up make sure you've got your Reba set up nicely - you may find you're a few adjustments away from a perfectly tuned ride. If that doesn't work IMO it's hard to beat Fox for quality damping (be it an F100 or F120).

_y5
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    handy-andy,

Thanks for the reply. I read some of the post on the Reba setup and I was probably running too much negative air pressure. I have reduced the negative pressure and while the fork is not as plush it does not seem to compact as much on technical descents.

I still think I would do better with more travel. I'm may try to find a 120mm fork used and see how I like and then get the Fox 120mm.

Thanks,

_y5