eci

Feedback for IH hollowpoint

Please respond with any and all feedback for the ih hollowpoint frame

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Please respond with any and all feedback for the ih hollowpoint frame
    What do you want specifically? The physical frame construction or the suspension/ride/etc.? Have you already dug through the reviews and previous posts? There is a lot written.

Two words, In short: ROCKS STEADY!

eci
    all information would be great, mainly i am looking for what you like/dislike about the bike.
    i.e. had an nrs previously hated the way it felt. seemed like my ass would sink and never return.(had a pos sid on the back)

im currently in the process of buying a hollow point frame then building it up so if you have any suggestions on specific parts that worked great id like to hear about it too.
    so far i have nailed that i am gettin the frame, a swinger 3way i have a minute 1, hayes mag+ and a wtb saddle for it. other than that i am looking for suggestions

thanks

Hmmm... as far as the build goes, you'll need a 27.2mm for an '03 or 27.0mm for '04 seatpost, a 1-1/4"/31.8mm TP/TS front derailleur, and a Zero Stack headset such as the FSA Orbit ZS. BB shell width is 68mm and you'll want a spindle length to get a standard 48mm chainline if possible.

Sounds like you've got the shocks and brakes figured out, although I dislike the Minute forks because they're just a little bit harsh compared to their non-SPV stuff I ride. Also on my '03 frame the bike felt a little "choppered out" to me with a 120mm fork on it but the 100mm fork just nailed down the handling -- personal preference an all but if I'd at least want the 100mm option for any kind of climbing. Not sure if this is the same or changed on the '04 frames.

The '03 frames limit you to about a 2.2 or 2.3" tire (depending) but the '04 gives you a bit more room so something in the 2.5" range is workable.

I've got mine set up with a Speedhub, but really, whatever drivetrain you like...

Just make sure you get the sag dialed in when you first hit the trail. Start with 30% in the rear. It'll seem like alot coming off the NRS, but any less than that and you're going not going to be happy. The right amount of fork sag is important to. My impression has been this bike rides light on the front end. I'm using way lower fork pressure settings than I have in the past, lower tire pressures, and where a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 has been a great front tire for me on my last two bikes, I hated it on this bike (couldn't get it to stick for nothing) and I wasn't happy until I switched to a 2.4" WTB Mutanoraptor and aired it down to 30 psi.

Have fun with the bike and post some pictures when you get it built.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Really, the '03 seatpost should be 27.2 ? Mine came with a 27.0 and it keeps sliding into the tube... Maybe that's why.

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    Really, the '03 seatpost should be 27.2 ? Mine came with a 27.0

Good call -- I checked and you're correct. I coulda' sworn I swapped 27.2 posts with another bike, but I'm clearly mistaken. The '03 is 27.0, too. Thanks for catching that..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2004 expert with a 5th element air rear and a psylo SL on the front. I do agree that with 125mm, the bikes steering is a tad sluggish, when I run it in 100mm, its perfect. My hollowpoint isnt a light weighht ride, it sits at about 28-29 Lbs, but it climbs very nicley, and blows through the downhill sections. I unfortunatley have to sell it, ( or at least im trying to).
    But its a great bike