mtbr member
    Jun 2010

eBay factory replacement hollowpoint team frames

Greetings All,
    I have been riding my ironhorse hollowpoint team since purchased new in 04. Absolutely love the bike. A while back I bottomed the rear suspension, snapped the seat tube just below the weld which caused the front triangle to spread and compromised the weld at the head tube. Just like that, I know, common story. I have been looking with no success for a replacement frame. Just last week I found an eBay seller that was selling ironhorse hollowpoint team (large) "warranty replacement frames" for $249. They are the 03 yellow/black frames complete with cane creek headsets, both triangles and a thompson seatpost. I ordered one immediately and recieved it complete less the head tube bearing cups (the 03 frame is zero stack, my broken 04 frame was an integrated system). The eBay seller has agreed to send me the head tube bearing cups...still waiting but I am jazzed to get my bike back together. If anyone is interested he still has a few frames.
    I am a pretty light guy which is why it took a number of years to break my frame. I have two other riding buddies on the same bike that broke their frames earlier. All of us broke when bottoming rear suspension. I am going to air the rear shock a bit higher and hope I never bottom again...
    Cheers,
    Willie

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I still ride my 04 team hollowpoint, & like you, I'm a light rider, so haven't broken anything yet.
    However, besides this frame being kinda heavy, I have another issue that you might be able to help with.
    The rear triangle, or the front or both triangles have a slight twist to the right. I can see it easily when visually lining up the wheels.
    Even with a replacement rear triangle from ironhorse a few years back, although improved some, this still exists.
    Do either of your frames exhibit this issue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    The rear triangle, or the front or both triangles have a slight twist to the right. I can see it easily when visually lining up the wheels.
    Even with a replacement rear triangle from ironhorse a few years back, although improved some, this still exists.
    I, too, still have an '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. The entire frame was replaced under warranty when a crack developed in the in the top tube near the point where it meets the head tube. The front triangle was replaced again when the replacement frame developed a crack in roughly the same location.

I don't recall seeing anything like what you're describing - a slight twist in the frame - in any of the '04 frames that I've owned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    kneecap,
    I have two frames with two front and rear triangles, none show signs of a twist. The replacement frame is a warranty frame replacement from 03 and has the exact front and rear triangle that was available in 03 (the yellow/black front and black rear triangles).

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Thanks willie, do you think the rear triangle for the 03 is identical to the 04"s? If so, I'd be very interested in one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    kneecap,
    oh no, they are quite different. In 04 ironhorse saw the "potential or actual" weaknesses in the 03 rear triangle. shoot me your email address and i will send you some pics of both sets of triangles with my comments. yea, when i got this 03 warranty replacement frame I was (and still am) tempted to connect my rear triangle on the new front triangle. I am not aware of any differences in the front triangle...anyone else?? chime in :-)

cheers,

Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I, too, still have an '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. The entire frame was replaced under warranty when a crack developed in the in the top tube near the point where it meets the head tube. The front triangle was replaced again when the replacement frame developed a crack in roughly the same location.

I don't recall seeing anything like what you're describing - a slight twist in the frame - in any of the '04 frames that I've owned.
    I too still have a Iron Horse hollowpoint.

Thanks KevinB The cloud nine is a big improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well its been about 3 weeks with the new frame now. All is well but then I have not bottomed my rear shock yet. I ride papago 4 times a week for about an hour each outing. It is sooo good to be back on my ironhorse. The hardtail was getting real old in the rocky stuff.
    cheers all,

Bill