Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DW-Link vs Maestro suspension

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NJ-XC-Justin 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Reign 2 frame and assembled it with components off my '04 Hollowpoint. Initial impression? Wow, this Maestro suspension design pedals a lot like my DW-Link equipped Hollowpoint, with 1.5" more of travel. It also seems more plush and better matches my Marz. All Mountain SL up front. Do you guys think this is the result of the Reign having more travel, or do you think the Maestro is more plush because it gives up some climbing capability? I really wanted to get the 6Point but could not find it for a reasonable price anywhere. The Reign was too good of a price to pass up.

Have any of you guys switched over to Maestro, and vice versa? Is the '05 and up DW-Link better? I seem to recall that the '03 and '04 were retrofitted to have DW-Link, whereas the '05 and up were built from the ground up to be DW-Link equipped.

I will give you guys a real trail impression tomorrow. I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding the two. I might have a '04 Hollowpoint frame with Cane Creek Cloud 9 shock for sale tomorrow. ;)

Terrin

#2 ·
I've switched from Maestro to DW but not because I was unhappy with the Trance, I just bought the wrong size frame. I like the Azure quite a bit, but like you said the biggest difference is length of travel. They both climb well, with the DW I believe a bit better. They're realistically both great systems (and similar enough to warrant a closer inspection ;) , and if there's a big price difference and the shop selling it was a place I liked, that would settle it for me either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.