mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DW-Link mentioned in MBA Q&A

Richard Cunningham from MBA printed and replied to an online post that spoke of the DW-Link:

Q: I really enjoyed your article explaining the traits of the different rear suspension designs. Currently I am on a VPP bike, but I do not enjoy the pedal feedback and suspension stiffening while climbing steep, technical ground. I am probably going to switch to a Horst type bike, like the racer-x, but I wondered if you have an opinion on the DW-link suspension, and the newer maestro design used by Giant. Another publication recently reported that the Trance (Giant) bike's suspension exhibited less pedal feedback than even Specialized's Horst bikes. Is the Maestro suspension fully active, and what about the DW-link, is it fully active?
    barrows/mbaction.com - 10/29/2004 9:51:38 AM

A. RC: The key phrase in your question is "Pedal Feedback." Any suspension that uses chain tension to counteract the tendancy for suspension to bob with each downward pedal stroke will exhibit some degree of pedal feedback--and therefore cannot be an active rear suspension. The Weagle Link, VPP and Giant Maestro all fall into this category. The VPP linkage is the best of the linkage rear ends (generally speaking) because its pedal feedback only occurs in the first part of the suspension travel. If you want an active rear suspension--one that is free to cycle uder power and while braking--there are only a handful available: Ellsworth Truth; Turner Five Spot; Specialized Epic, FSR and Enduro; and the Titus Racer X, Switchblade and Moto lite are some of the best examples. The downside of an active rear supension is that all of your suspension platform must come from the shock. The upside is that your bike will have more traction and handle better on the descents. I have yet to ride a Maestro for any length of time, so I cannot steer you in that direction until then. I hope that helps

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I gotta wonder about RC that that mag. I actually got frustrated by an article I was reading last spring -- I don't recall about what, but I believe it was just poor writing across a couple of different articles -- that my wife heard me cursing or muttering or something in the bathroom. She later asks me, so why do you keep buying it? I haven't bought an issue since.

My reply to your post in the other forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Should read: Once again, RC talks out of his ass...

After MBA thoroughly blew the review of the '03 Hollowpoint, all the while being very up-front about their setup mistakes (namely, severe overinflation of the rear shock, which *kills* the ride -- the bike requires about 33% sag), RC is making stuff up again by blindly lumping the VPP and the dw-link into the same category. Is that because they kinda look alike, Richard?

Pedal for a while on a Hollowpoint versus a Blur and the difference is unmistakable. Pedal feedback on the dw-link is virtually non-existant until the end of stroke, very deep in the suspension cycle. This is simply not the same on the Blur, where suspension movement gets through and is felt in the form of increasing and decreasing resistance in the pedaling effort. Not that it's really bad -- I'm not suggesting that -- but on the dw-link it is simply not present.

And the comparison stands against various Specialized, Giant & KHS Horst-link bikes I have extensively ridden.

A non-platform Horst beats the dw-link for suspension compliance, but IMHO that lead is lost with the SPV shocks most Horst link bikes are paired with these days. The natural pedaling platform of the dw-link coupled with a simple non-platform shock remains supple over even the smallest stuff, although it suffers from a minor amount of packing down under heavy rear braking.

Industry Loudmouth
    Thanks for the heads up on that guys!

We'll be calling RC today to set him straight...

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd

-ska todd
    Let us know what he says, would ya?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd

Also wouldn't mind seeing Dave throw his two cents in on the post in the other forum. It's been awhile since he's discussed his design, and the old, detailed MTBR posts have vanished under two layers of archive purgatory. How's his patent coming along?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

RC comments about DW-Link...any?

I have receive the MBA magazine for about a year and a half and the only article about Ironhorse was on one of the freeride models. No Hollowpoints there. I believe that's because the bike can hurt the market on some other expensives bike that doesn't match the brandname parts included on our Hollowpoints. The Hollowpoint may not be perfect but it do fit the middle budget biker out there. My only issue about my bike is its weight but I already surpassed that by understanding its real purpose: Trail Riding.

The MBA magazine lacks of real articles about the passion to ride, train and service our bikes. I'm receiving the mag as a gift from a brother and I appreciated but that would be the only way to get it. Bicycling magazing is a lot better but it focus more on the "roadies".

I hope RC post something specific on the DW-Link in a future. For now... it is too late for the Hollowpoint.

Regards,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR