JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

New question here. DT FR 6.1d Rims...

Just got a 2006 7point7 and took it up to Deer Valley today. I was super-stoked on the bike, and used the DHX 5.0 setup tips here to get it really close to dialed in. Thanks to all the 7point riders who post with the helpful info!

However, there is one less-than-impressive side note to this story: When I was cleaning up the bike this afternoon I found two different flatspots in the rim bead and a dent in the TOP of the rear rim (DT Swiss FR 6.1d)

Yes, I know... pilot error. I would assume the same thing, except I have been riding these trails all spring , never had a problem with my rear DeeMax. Yes, I know I was going faster on my sweet new 7point , but not enough to work this wheel like this...

Anyone else had a similar experience with these rims?

JMH

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    All I've heard about the 6.1 rims is that they're made of cheese. So i guess this sort of reinforces that. :-\
    [SIZE=1]EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped[/SIZE]

Industry Loudmouth

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

No good Bummer...

Meh... That's what I was afraid of...

Oh well, at least the bike is fun.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd

Stand back
    Me and a teammate both are replacing our 6.1's after a few months. They do straighten side to side fairly easily, and stayed fairly true for how many dings they had. I ran high pressure hoping to prolong their lifespan (and I hate to run hi pressure) to no avail...
    I had better luck w/ my Outlaws last year.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Industry Loudmouth
    If you are having severe ding issues contact the guys at DT/Swiss US office about warranty replacements. They have been sending out newer versions of the FR6.1d w/ a shallower channel that is less prone to dings.

-ska todd

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    I ran a set of DT 6.1's (I built them myself) and they were the best rims I've ever run. Rode them hard for four months (until my bike got stolen ). They were still straight as an arrow. Great rims IMO, possibly the build is what's at fault with those having issues...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Hmmm

I would agree with you about build quality being an important issue if the rims weren't denting. They are staying plenty true, but the beads and side wall dent like crazy, which indicates to me that the metal is probably at fault, rather than the build.

I ran into a guy with a brand new Sunday Team over the weekend. I asked him how he liked his wheels (same DT 6.1 rims), and he said they were great! I told him that mine keep denting "just like this" and I pointed to a good sized dent on his basically new wheel. Boy was he bummed!

Yeah, the rims suck.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Freerider Forever
    I ran a set of DT 6.1's (I built them myself) and they were the best rims I've ever run. Rode them hard for four months (until my bike got stolen ). They were still straight as an arrow. Great rims IMO, possibly the build is what's at fault with those having issues...

Stand back
    And DT built mine, so if the build was at fault... hehe
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!