mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Dealings with LBS

I will picking up a HP in the very near future. I will be purchasing it from a Supergo in another town for two reasons:
    1} The great deal I will be getting on an '04 Expert &
    2} The local shops do not carry I.H.

With that in mind, what have the experiences of other riders been when they bring in a bike to their LBS for service when the dollars were obviously dropped at another counter?
    If there is a LBS owner reading this, what are your feelings?

mtbjk

Cool-blue Rhythm bike shop willingness

When I first bought my IH I had it for 3 months and needed to send it back for warrenty. upon takeing it to the LBS i frequinted for the past ten years and have spent over 4 grd there buying wheel sets tires bikes for my kids and helmets and all kinds of other thing they basically told me to get lost and that if they did send it in for warrenty for me that they would charge me $100 dollars +shipping + removal of the bottom bracket so I told them to get lost and have not been back there for over a year and definitly dont recomend them to anybody anymore. So what I did was go to another LBS and closer to my home and asked if they would take care of it for me and they said no problem. it just cost me $25 and they removed the bottom bracket and even called for the RA # and packaged for shipping and it was gone the next morning. i even got the tracking # and followed the path to IH to witch it took a total of 3 weeks to have back in my posestion. not bad service from the LBS and from IH. they both showed supperb customer service and have been doing buisness there ever since. I will only go to the LBS that has customer satisfaction in mind from now on 5 stars to the LBS that took care of a potential ongoing customer and 5 stars to IH for ongoing premium customer service. I quess the point i'm trying to make is there are plenty of LBS out there that will service the bike for you even if you did not by it from them cause I know for a fact that when I go in any LBS they have plenty of wall mart Kmart and any other retailers bike in there for repair and thats there bread and butter for them and if someone is comming in with a high end bike you no that they will probly sink some money on upgrades so if they treet you right they no you will be back. sorry to rant on so much but a bad experiance is the pitts but a good experiance is easy to remember and keeps you comming back for more

Jan R TAMPA FL RIDE ON and buy the IH there are plenty of shops that will service it for you

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan R
    When I first bought my IH I had it for 3 months and needed to send it back for warrenty. upon takeing it to the LBS i frequinted for the past ten years and have spent over 4 grd there buying wheel sets tires bikes for my kids and helmets and all kinds of other thing they basically told me to get lost and that if they did send it in for warrenty for me that they would charge me $100 dollars +shipping + removal of the bottom bracket so I told them to get lost and have not been back there for over a year and definitly dont recomend them to anybody anymore. So what I did was go to another LBS and closer to my home and asked if they would take care of it for me and they said no problem. it just cost me $25 and they removed the bottom bracket and even called for the RA # and packaged for shipping and it was gone the next morning. i even got the tracking # and followed the path to IH to witch it took a total of 3 weeks to have back in my posestion. not bad service from the LBS and from IH. they both showed supperb customer service and have been doing buisness there ever since. I will only go to the LBS that has customer satisfaction in mind from now on 5 stars to the LBS that took care of a potential ongoing customer and 5 stars to IH for ongoing premium customer service. I quess the point i'm trying to make is there are plenty of LBS out there that will service the bike for you even if you did not by it from them cause I know for a fact that when I go in any LBS they have plenty of wall mart Kmart and any other retailers bike in there for repair and thats there bread and butter for them and if someone is comming in with a high end bike you no that they will probly sink some money on upgrades so if they treet you right they no you will be back. sorry to rant on so much but a bad experiance is the pitts but a good experiance is easy to remember and keeps you comming back for more

Jan R TAMPA FL RIDE ON and buy the IH there are plenty of shops that will service it for you
    Thanks for the feedback! I work for a customer service oriented retailing corporation and the #1 mantra is "The customer comes first". Unfortunately, with many businesses, this just isn't so. Anyway, I am hoping to pick up my new HP Expert this coming weekend!
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi,

this is really a controversial subject, but...

I have yet to find a decent LBS, I usually call ahead and get a feel of what it's like. Even then, at the shop it's another story... When you buy a bike online it's the final heresy, they look at you like you have the plague, and they talk to you like you're a dumb@ss (maybe it's true, but I don't think it's good for their businees when I drop around $3k a year in biking).

So I do everything on the bike myself. I recently built up two bikes in 3 months like that, and the process itself is even very pleasurable. When I install/remove a headset or a BB, I grin thinking of the money I'm saving by not taking it in.

The only time you may have to take the bike in is for warranty returns as has been said. Since it's a one-off, you can shop around for the best price.

I'd gladly have a shop work on my bike, because sometimes I don't have the time to do it, and I like to chew the fat with the mechanics and whatnot. But it's not happening anymore. It's sad....

Maurice

Riding a Rig.
    Yeah, I've had some problems with shops too. There was this really awesome local shop. If you had ever bought a bike from them they would generaly fix any bike you brought in. Super nice people too, it was a family owned business. Unfortunatly they sold the business at some point and the people that work there now are a** holes. Another local shop is not as bad, but everyone I talked to there was clueless about mountain bikes (weird for a shop that sells some 2500.00 mountain bikes) They charged me 100.00 to disassemble a bike, reassemble it with a new front trianlge, new headset bearings, new cables, and two new tires. I realyl wish that one shop was still family owned, they were the best.

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Maurice is living proof of how some LBS's kill off their business. They treat the customer poorly enough that the customer eventually decides to try working on his/her own bike. They discover many tasks are not too difficult, and they actually enjoy the sense of accomplishment they feel fixing/upgrading & riding their own handiwork. It's hard to imagine a more silly business model than that which too many LBS's seem to follow.
    If/when you find a good LBS- give them your business and send in all your friends!!!

I like Guiness
    Aug 2004

In Albuquerque

I go to a LBS that I have been going to since I was a kid. However I recently bought a bike off the internet and they are happy to work on it for me (ie swap out the fork). In fact I usually do a lot of research online and then tell the guy what I can get it for and he hooks it up for the same price if he can. That's service. I send everyone I know there and will go there for as long as I live in the city. He also said that he would package up the bike for shipment for only $25 if it was necessary, which I feel is a good deal.

Just to let you know there are a few good ones out there.

Robin
    "Bad hair = good science" -me

"Two paths diverge in a wood, and I took the one more technical" (not always true)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Smile

I have had incredible support from my LBS. I was very surprised when I took my HP into the shop for removal of the cranks and BB to send back to HP. They were unable to get them off due to the tighness of them and they acutally told me that they had 2 techs try and did not want to void the warranty by stripping them. Here's the kewl part... They gave me the frame and didnt' charge me a dime. I even offered because I know they put a lot of work into it. I have since been back a several times to have them order a few things for me to give them some money, or business. I think there is a balance. Online stuff can be great, but we also have to remember that when in need, they usually do come through for us. They do want or business and they do have families as well. Remember that they are competing with online retail, so they do want to help when they can. We also need to buy a few things there instead of just browsing and then going online to only save 5 dollars after shipping. My LBS knows I buy online, but I do get stuff from them and occasionally by them meals, gift certificates and stuff just for the knowledge and to let them know I appreciate them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by urmindseye
    I have had incredible support from my LBS. I was very surprised when I took my HP into the shop for removal of the cranks and BB to send back to HP. They were unable to get them off due to the tighness of them and they acutally told me that they had 2 techs try and did not want to void the warranty by stripping them. Here's the kewl part... They gave me the frame and didnt' charge me a dime. I even offered because I know they put a lot of work into it. I have since been back a several times to have them order a few things for me to give them some money, or business. I think there is a balance. Online stuff can be great, but we also have to remember that when in need, they usually do come through for us. They do want or business and they do have families as well. Remember that they are competing with online retail, so they do want to help when they can. We also need to buy a few things there instead of just browsing and then going online to only save 5 dollars after shipping. My LBS knows I buy online, but I do get stuff from them and occasionally by them meals, gift certificates and stuff just for the knowledge and to let them know I appreciate them.
    I agree with yopu 100%. While I do make a lot of internet purchases, I also patronize my LBS.We just bought my wifes' Trek 4600 there. I don't know if this will actually endear me to them or not, but I do think they remember me when I walk in.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMITTED
    I will picking up a HP in the very near future. I will be purchasing it from a Supergo in another town for two reasons:
    1} The great deal I will be getting on an '04 Expert &
    2} The local shops do not carry I.H.

With that in mind, what have the experiences of other riders been when they bring in a bike to their LBS for service when the dollars were obviously dropped at another counter?
    If there is a LBS owner reading this, what are your feelings?
    BEER! The universal currency...

mtbr member
    lol. funny you mention beer. On two different occasions, at two different shops, I have brought in a 6-pack along with my damaged bike. If I have a warrenty-covered problem I don't bother. But if I did something exceedingly stupid then I offer beer in addition to the service fee. A shop mechanic will still laugh about my stupidity but the beer cuts down the amount of ridicule I receive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job!

ROFL!!! I never thought of it that way. Is the "less ridicule" after the beer or before! I just always say "I know., I"m an idiot" and then tend to back down a bit.