On MTBR hiatus :(

Dave Weagle on his dw-link...

Just in case this one slipped by y'all, Dave Weagle shared comments today in the "What Bike" forum discussing some specifics of his design. For the dw-link uninitiated, anyone who hasn't had a chance to throw a leg over a Hollowpoint, or for those with the ever-present Santa Cruz Blur VPP vs. Iron Horse vs. Horst link question (not to mention the new Giant Trance design).

RC answers Q&A on vpp, horst, et al

Nothing earth shattering, but this type of stuff re: the dw-link disappeared in the MTBR archive abyss awhile ago.

Riding a Rig.
    Thanks, it was a good read. Maybe some day I will actualy try to figure out the physics behind the designs...
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    All I know is that I just got back from 8 days of riding my Hollowpoint Team in Fruita and Moab, and it just rocked!

With so much sag in the rear suspension, the rear wheel has plenty of room to extend when the bike is lifted for some reason, like when you smack a crankarm hard on a rock, or bottom-out the bash guard on a ledge. I never got knocked off-line like I do on my RacerX. And it really smoothed out the rocks and ridges on the fast sections. Very much a confidence-inspiring machine.

I put 5 wt oil in the damper on the Talas up front, instead of the stock 7.5, and it's now a little better matched to the supple rear end. I may try 2.5 wt next.

I love my Hollowpoint!

Kathy :^D
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good to know...

Good to know that Dave is out there reading what we post about our Hollowpoints. I'm a happy owner and, about seated-climbing efficiency, it does move while climbing (at least in my case).

Regards,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    about seated-climbing efficiency, it does move while climbing (at least in my case)
    Suspension movement does NOT equate to a loss in efficiency! There is shock movement on dw-link bikes while climbing however you will have traction the whole time. This is one of the best benefits of dw-link; climbing efficiency with premium suspension performance.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

don't get me wrong...

[QUOTE=ska todd]Suspension movement does NOT equate to a loss in efficiency!

Hi there,

Maybe I express myself wrong. What I meant was that it feels great while climbing and that it has a great traction due to that fact. I had a hardtail and climbing efficiency (avoid skidding) mostly depends on the rider movements over the saddle while on the HP you just need to concentrate on balance and trail ahead.

The HP it's a great climber and most of my rides includes long technicals climbs. I'm not a good downhiller and never a jumper so I expect my bike to last an eternity (that's also my wife wish).

Regards,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR