mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! "Crunch" sound at BB: the happy ending!

Hi guys!

In less than a week I had my bottom bracket replaced under warranty and mounted by my local bike shop: The Wheel Shop (at Cabo Rojo, PR). Both Ironhorse and The Wheel Shop worked together to solve my problem fast and clean.

The original BB is the Truvativ Gigapipe (no letters on it so it must be the entry level one). The new replacement is the FSA Platinum (cost around $30, XT ES-71 performance level). Looks very nice and it includes a cool sticker for your bike. The FSA uses the regular Shimano BB tool while the Truvativ uses the BBT-8. The Truvativ self-extractor crank bolts fit on the FSA BB (that's great!). My only mistake was to purchase the BBT-8 prior to know if Ironhorse will replace the part under warranty or not. So, I now have a brand new, never used, BBT-8 tool available for sale for less than $20 (cost me $21.99 + s/h). Anyone?

Once the Truvativ was removed, the frame had water inside the BB shell. That must be water from the hose when I washed my bike. Tip: never spray water with a hose directly to the BB and seat post area, neither the rear hub. Anyway, the Truvativ BB has a lot of seals and the cups cover the bearing area so it seems to be very difficult to get water inside them.

I haven't try my bike yet and probably today will not be the day but I'm sure that will silent my bile for a while.

Thanks to Ironhorse and the The Wheel Shop for a prompt response and a great job!

Regards,

Erwin
    Yauco, PR
    Last edited by Erwin; 10-31-2004 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typing error