mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is Columbia Sportswear bicycles going to be the new North Face

http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...23/story6.html

Looks like Columbia Sportswear is going to be branding some iron horse bicycles.

Any idea if these will include any DW link models?
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Interesting. From the sounds of Columbia's statement, sounds like they want to start with the less-expensive end of the spectrum, maybe eliminating the dw-link stuff from the mix.

Wondered what would happen with the Galayns stuff. Those stores closed, right? Or were bought up by *****? I kinda figured the North Face bikes were exclusive to Galyans, as in, Galyans licensed the name from North Face and the bike from IH. Dunno -- just a guess.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Interesting. From the sounds of Columbia's statement, sounds like they want to start with the less-expensive end of the spectrum, maybe eliminating the dw-link stuff from the mix.

Wondered what would happen with the Galayns stuff. Those stores closed, right? Or were bought up by *****? I kinda figured the North Face bikes were exclusive to Galyans, as in, Galyans licensed the name from North Face and the bike from IH. Dunno -- just a guess.
    Gaylans was bought by Dick's. Dick's was a dick and didn't want to sell the North Face bicycles, hence the legendary blowout prices on the Hollowpoint and IH hardtail clones. They come up on ebay now and then and sell for ludicrous prices. Unfortunately haven't seen a 15" come across.

North Face branded the bikes from Iron Horse's parent company but I heard that they were pretty involved in the process and visited the manufacturering facility to keep tabs on the bikes. I guess North Face just decided to sell them through Gaylan's only.

I've searched online for any of the Gaylan's branded North Face bikes, but can't find any. My guess is that they are either still on the floors at certain Dick's, or were bought by liquidators, or are just all gone. Just imagine how many pristine 04 NF branded Hollowpoinits there are sitting in the garages of suburbia!

The price range on the columbia branded bikes doesn't go that high, so you're probably right that the full suspension line will most likely be Warrior style stuff. We'll see.

If anyone sees a 15" 04 Hollowpoint give me a shout. I've found one at RS cycles but it is a race team with the works. Really wondering what the big chains are going to sell the Azure models for. Especially what the prices are going to be mid next year when they are blowing them out for the 2006 models.

I'm just a sucker for value, and those branded Iron Horses HPs are the best value around.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've had horrible experience with an Iron Horse Sinister Spot at Dick's. They just dont have their bike department together there. BTW my Dick's is clearing out all the north face branded Iron Horse bikes. No one seems to be buying them. They dont have a hollowpoint but they do have a great deal on a rebranded Yakuza Aniki DS, Warrior, and some hardtails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I found your 15 inch hollowpoint

Hey ashwinearl, I forgot to mention that I found you a 15 inch Hollowpoint Expert on ebay. Its and 03 but its loaded. Check it out here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-15-in-Iron-...QQcmdZViewItem

And if that doesnt work the Item number is: 7172412688

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I found your 15 inch hollowpoint

Sorry, double post!