No Skills Whatsoever

Check this bad boy out.

The bike is 36lbs, kinda heavy, but I wanted it stout. It's got the z.1 ETA freeride fork, which is real heavy, plus the nokian NBX 2.3 tubeless tires. As well as Atom Lab pedals and D3.1 rims. Most of the weight is the fork and tires which are 2.2lbs each while the Weirwolf 2.1 tubeless tires I had on the other Hollowpoint were like 1.5 lbs. Despite the weight, the thing climbs like a mule. I rode it in Oxford, MA at Hodge Dam yesterday. Nice sweet singletrack down there, not too many hills, but I was thoroughly impressed with the bike. It is so frickn easy to ride. It rails on the berms at that place, and there's lots of em from dirt bikes. I couldn't believe how well this thing pedalled. I diddn't get much time on my other hollowpoint as I bought it in November or so then sold it to order this. I'm so frign impressed with this bike. I'm not sure what the frame weighed out of the box, I diddn't weigh it. It diddn't feel much heavier than the other Hollowpoint frame. The only added weight would be the additional gusset on the swingarm for flex rigidity (up where the shock mounts), the larger hydroform down-tube, the 1.5 HT with the evil reducer cups. It's a sweet asss bike and Iron Horse rules.

Knuckle

hot arse Florida
    That's a nice badboy!

it's just baby phat..

nice bike.. and an off topic question.

first, nice bike. now, how do you get your photos to come up larger than 700 x 900 pixels? and how are you able to post so many? i can only post 5 at a time. i counted 11 for you! again, nice bike.

phat

No Skills Whatsoever
    Thanks man, comments mean a lot to me. I put an enormous ammount of pride into my builds. As for the pics, they are linked as

[img] link.jpg [/img]

and 10 more of those

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that bike is sick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    One more ego boosting comment can't hurt: WoW!!!

No Skills Whatsoever
    Thanks guys. I'm so happy with this bike and that's unusual. I'm an extreme nitpicker when it comes to rigs and I cant actually believe I'm totally satisfied with this bike despite the fact that it was supposed to come with a 5th element coil, which I've been promised to get by IH. However I'm pretty impressed with the air shock, just worried that I'm gonna blow the thing.

Kevin

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Sweetness!

That's your build, right? Or is IH selling the complete bike with that spec?

No Skills Whatsoever

My build, you like? Hand selected and researched all the parts during work hours

Thing rides like a focking dream. So psyched with that bike.

Kevin

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckleslammer

My build, you like? Hand selected and researched all the parts during work hours

Thing rides like a focking dream. So psyched with that bike.

Kevin

Nice smart part spec. All good stuff that works. Even nicer build. You can tell you put alot of time and effort into that rig. Now let's see some shots of the thing after you put it through some "abuse".
    Where do you ride?
    I am from Ma also.

Greg
    Voltron

No Skills Whatsoever
    Sup Greg, I ride all over the place. Went to Oxford, MA (Hodges Dam) last Sunday. Lots of pretty cool singletrack there from what I saw. Was with my wife so there was this cool fireroad which the wife likes to do, but I lucked out as there was an abundance of singletrack off the fireroad for me to ride. Goin back there again. I ride at Leominster state forest, Uxbridge, Borderland State Park, Foxboro, Nam. I live in Wista.

Knuck

Black Lion
    Sup Greg, I ride all over the place. Went to Oxford, MA (Hodges Dam) last Sunday. Lots of pretty cool singletrack there from what I saw. Was with my wife so there was this cool fireroad which the wife likes to do, but I lucked out as there was an abundance of singletrack off the fireroad for me to ride. Goin back there again. I ride at Leominster state forest, Uxbridge, Borderland State Park, Foxboro, Nam. I live in Wista.

Knuck
    right on.
    Don't get out that way, as I live in Saugus. So I mainly ride Lynn and the surrounding areas here.
    Might be doing a ride in foxboro this weekend. I have heard it is sweet

Greg.
    Voltron

No Skills Whatsoever
    Foxboro is pretty cool. Not as flowey as I like, but I still have fun when I go. Have fun.

Knuckle

Hand selected and researched all the parts during work hours
    Yeah, I suspected that when I saw the Avîd's. No offense to Todd, but he hasn't got the balls to spec Avîd Mechs on his bikes. :P

My sister rode my Hollowpoint last weekend after spending her life on a Trek steel hardtail, and I think (actually, she thinks) she's going to buy an '04 Hollowpoint Expert this weekend.

Her boyfriend is taking it all in stride and he's now eyeing the Hollowpoint Sport (yes, despite the crummy Hayës HMX-1 brakes). But he hasn't ridden my bike or any other duallie for that matter, so we'll see what he ends up with.

But your takes the cake, my friend. That's a beautiful build.
    Last edited by Speedüb Nate; 06-24-2004 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Support an LBS. Jenson links stink!

No Skills Whatsoever
    Well I figured out why my wife doesn't really like to mountain bike much. I hopped on here Specialcrap Hotrock and she hopped on my MTX. She was astounded at how well the bike rode and after 5 minutes on her bike I thought my wrists were going to crumble. I feel bad now. That bike is the biggest piece of garbage I've ever ridden. I'm surprised Specialized even puts their name on such a fu****g horrorshow of a bike. The geometry of the bike is such that your wrists feel like they are going to shatter, my as* hurt like hell and I was ready to throw the POFS against a tree. JHFC, what a piece of sheite. So after I get my brooklyn FQ (when I finish paying BMW ) I'm gonna get her a real bike. You don't like the trek ha? What do you suggest for around 1000 bucks?

Kevin

Well I figured out why my wife doesn't really like to mountain bike much. I hopped on here Specialcrap Hotrock and she hopped on my MTX. She was astounded at how well the bike rode and after 5 minutes on her bike I thought my wrists were going to crumble. I feel bad now.
    Similar story. My wife was on a Trek steel hardtail for way too long. Went from rigid to POS suspension fork to OK suspension fork, and finally a decent Thudbuster post and good saddle. That was her spark. But her frame was a size too big -- didn't help.

A year ago we put her on a nice Marin single pivot Mount Vision. Her riding has taken off -- she's still pretty pokey and cautious, but she tries more, does more, rides more, rides longer, and steady improvements all along the way. Good stuff.

So now, my sis is on practically the same style Trek steel frame. She's in great shape and is a super climber but is not very technically astute -- very cautious on the downhills and on rocky terrain. The bars-low racer-boy profile on the Trek isn't helping her. She jumped on my Hollowpoint and her eyes bugged out. It didn't turn her into Tai-Lee Muxlow on the DH, but on Sunday's climb the addition of 5" of travel didn't phase her one bit. She praised the bike all the way up and all the way down to the point she's ready to drop some coin on her own Hollowpoint this weekend.

Normally I'd caution anyone to sample a few of different suspension designs before deciding on one particular one. I *should* encourage her to do the same, but I'm a biased, happy dw-link owner and she's determined after 17 miles on mine. We'll see what happens.

For around $1000? Why not the Hollowpoint Sport. For $1000 I could overlook the so-so brakes.

No Skills Whatsoever
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    Similar story. My wife was on a Trek steel hardtail for way too long. Went from rigid to POS suspension fork to OK suspension fork, and finally a decent Thudbuster post and good saddle. That was her spark. But her frame was a size too big -- didn't help.

A year ago we put her on a nice Marin single pivot Mount Vision. Her riding has taken off -- she's still pretty pokey and cautious, but she tries more, does more, rides more, rides longer, and steady improvements all along the way. Good stuff.

So now, my sis is on practically the same style Trek steel frame. She's in great shape and is a super climber but is not very technically astute -- very cautious on the downhills and on rocky terrain. The bars-low racer-boy profile on the Trek isn't helping her. She jumped on my Hollowpoint and her eyes bugged out. It didn't turn her into Tai-Lee Muxlow on the DH, but on Sunday's climb the addition of 5" of travel didn't phase her one bit. She praised the bike all the way up and all the way down to the point she's ready to drop some coin on her own Hollowpoint this weekend.

Normally I'd caution anyone to sample a few of different suspension designs before deciding on one particular one. I *should* encourage her to do the same, but I'm a biased, happy dw-link owner and she's determined after 17 miles on mine. We'll see what happens.

For around $1000? Why not the Hollowpoint Sport. For $1000 I could overlook the so-so brakes.
    Forgot those were too cheap, here's here POS and here's my new one with some dirt on it. I diddn't even clean it after the ride which is unusual, usually my bike looks new constantly, but I thought it looked so badass with some dirt on it

Last edited by knuckleslammer; 06-24-2004 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Knuck,

Here's what you should get your wife (wink wink). (This is Knucks old frame I bought a built for my wife)
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Skills Whatsoever

Nice rig man. Wish I coulda kept it, but needed the money to order the MTX. I'll have to check around for perhaps a used one for her or maybee a new one. Depending on the expense of the Brooklyn FQ I'm buying/building. Her bike will come after that's done.
    Priorities ya know?

Knuckle

trail "cleaner"

frame available??

Is that hollowpoint MTX available? I don't see it listed as a bike on Iron Horse's website. Sweet looking ride!
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sweeeet Hollowpoint!

Awesome Build!

One question! That frame looks ultra stout and looks like it could take some serious thrashing. I ride mostly XC and all-mountain, but just looking at your bike makes feel like buying one (but Iron Horse doesn't spec it like that) and tking some serious drops. Great job and excellent choice of components.

No Skills Whatsoever
    Well, that's why I don't buy built bikes as they never have the components I want. Check out my wifes bike I just bought her. I had to put a real stem on it, as well as a real set of bars, added the MRP LRP, platform pedals and it's good to go.

Dude, I like you "wall".

My sister just bought a Hollowpoint Expert for herself after riding mine for a day. All stock except for the seatpost and pedals.

Hey, Todd, how about specing a 400mm seatpost on these bikes considering highly sloped top tube? Even with the gusset, I like getting the bottom of the post extended past the TT/ST junction. I think a lot of taller riders are missing this with the shorter posts included with the bike.