mtbr member

Can anyone tell me what year this IH Hollowpoint Frame is??

Can anyone tell me what year this Hollowpoint Team Frame is? It looks like a 2003 - but I thought those were Yellow and black not black with yellow.

Any help???

New project, TBA shortly
    that is an '03 warranty frame.

mtbr member
    So Dante - that will have the issues solved and include the link that will allow for adjustable travel correct?

What are the two settings?

And any idea of TT length on a Medium 2003 frame??

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    the adjustable link is shown in the pic. note the additional bolt hole location next to the shock eye. i thought the travel settings were 3.75" and 4.75".

as far as design changes with the warranty frame: did the seat tube inside diameter change? (from 27.2 to 27.0mm) due to cracking issues?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    So Dante - that will have the issues solved and include the link that will allow for adjustable travel correct?

What are the two settings?

And any idea of TT length on a Medium 2003 frame??
    My notes say 23.4 on the ETT of the '03 Hollowpoint. Gotta watch out because, at least for the '03 bikes, IH was stating actual, not effective, top tube lengths.

The two settings are 3.75" (upper position) and 4.5" (lower). The original bikes that year shipped with single-position 4.9" linkages. The multi-position links were initially shipped to replace the single-position links, to solve the frame clearance issue on the batch of problem frames.

As far as I know the bikes always have been reamed out to 27.0 mm seatpost diameters. At least, my early production '03 frame is 27.0, as is my sister's mid-season '04 Hollowpoint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    My notes say 23.4 on the ETT of the '03 Hollowpoint. Gotta watch out because, at least for the '03 bikes, IH was stating actual, not effective, top tube lengths.

The two settings are 3.75" (upper position) and 4.5" (lower). The original bikes that year shipped with single-position 4.9" linkages. The multi-position links were initially shipped to replace the single-position links, to solve the frame clearance issue on the batch of problem frames.

As far as I know the bikes always have been reamed out to 27.0 mm seatpost diameters. At least, my early production '03 frame is 27.0, as is my sister's mid-season '04 Hollowpoint.
    So Nate,

You think a Medium frame would fit a 5'9" rider pretty well then? What size is your 2003 frame and how tall are you?

Essentially there is nothing different between the frames (Team, Expert, Sport) for the 03s right? Just different shocks on different models?

I'm tempted by this frame for sale in the buy and sell.

Nate - do you think the improvements in the 2004 version warrant me to wait on an 04 or even an 05?

The 05 is completely redesigned, but will the suspension design operate exactly the same as the 03s and 04s?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yeah, you'll fit, but I'm also riding a 19" frame (that's medium, right?) and I'm 6'1" with a 33.5" inseam. I picked this size due to the ETT length, but could easily fit on the 21".

You can see by my pics that I've got a lot of post showing and much spacers under the stem, though.

AFAIK, the frames are exactly the same between the three specs.

I really like the changes they made for '04 -- stiffer, improved tire clearance, better appearance -- but not substantial enough to pass up a good deal on the '03. If you haven't, check out my post on the differences between the '03 and '04 models:

XPOST '03-'04 Hollowpoint Changes

The '05, on the other hand, looks hot -- if you're willing to pay full price (or wait out a deal), I happen to think the extra beef and improved spec is worth waiting for. I'm tempted to pick one of the '05's up myself.

I can only trust that Dave Weagle is moving in the right direction with the revised suspension layout. The gurus on the shock forum seem to think the '05 modification will result in better braking (not a complaint of mine) and even better pedaling (I don't see how there is room to improve in that area). I'm personally a fan of the 2.0" shock stroke, which is bonus for 200 pounders like myself.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and the link Nate - I still haven't heard a reply from the seller of that frame so it may be a no go anyway.

Hrmph!

mtbjk
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    Can anyone tell me what year this Hollowpoint Team Frame is? It looks like a 2003 - but I thought those were Yellow and black not black with yellow.

Any help???

this frame picture is actually an 03.5 frame. it was not actually a warranty frame but was of the last batch of 03 frames produced. the colors were origannally the yellow frame but a mid year marketing change is were this sceme of colors came from to help increase sales. from my understanding the yellow frames wernt a big hit to wich I thought looked great but they decided to give a choice to increase sales. the down side to this frame is that I have cracked 2 of them and have a third one but am now on a 04 comp frame that was sent as a warranty frame for the 03.5. the lower mounting holes are for the 4.5 inch travel and the upper holes are for the 3.75 inch travel. also the seat tude dia is still 27 and has not changed. there was a handfull that did come with 27.2 but i believe it was a manufactureing mess up that got out. still this frame is a great handeling frame and if you are under 170 pounds should not have a problem with it good luck and hope it pans out for you oh and all info is from ironhoase that i got from the customer service rep from talking to him on several occasions Jan R Ride On

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information - turns out the frame is too big for me anyway - seems like IH frames ran really big in that model year.