mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Broken MK2 Ironhorse Team Frame

Greetings All,
    Well I finally became a casualty with my 04 Mk2 ironhorse team frame. Clean break right above the bottom bracket on the seat post tube. Broke weld at the upper triangle as well. My question is this...Randall Scott has a "6 point" frame for sale at a pretty good price. I dont know the geometry well enough to know if most if not all of my components will transfer. It comes with rear shock so that is not a problem but the tech at RS did not know if the rear wheel hub will fit, the crossmax tubeless wheels are great so I want to transfer them for sure as well as hayes brakes, bottom bracket and minute 3 front shocks.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance!

cheers,

Bill

mtbr member
    The crankset will not transfer. MK3 has a 73mm wide bottom bracket and the 6point has a 83mm wide bottom bracket.
    The rear wheel is also not compatible as the MK3 uses the very common 135mm wide hub and the 6point uses the heavy duty standard 150mm wide hub.

So at the very least you would have to buy a new crankset and a new rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    wormvine,
    Disappointing but thank you very much for your input. What a shame on these frames.
    Have you any suggestions for a good frame that will allow transfer of my wheels and crankset? I have not been able to find a MK2 or MK3 frame for sale. Most likely high demand.
    I am very open here

cheers,
    Bill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willie2323
    wormvine,
    Disappointing but thank you very much for your input. What a shame on these frames.
    Have you any suggestions for a good frame that will allow transfer of my wheels and crankset? I have not been able to find a MK2 or MK3 frame for sale. Most likely high demand.
    I am very open here

cheers,
    Bill
    Try to find a Giant Reign frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have not been able to find a MK2 or MK3 frame for sale. Most likely high demand.
    no high demand, more like the company went out of business almost 2 years ago and there aren't any spare parts around... manufacturer go sqrewed up (never got paid) and I would not buy from RS - see long thread on what went wrong.

Anyway, I ended up gettign a Mojo frame and while they are $$$ it is such a sweat bike I'm glad I did. And there is a company behind it, with the owner actually replying to mtbr questions (hanss) - imagine that from those big box companies ?

mtbr member
    @ willie2323
    Re: Giant Reign frame.

I do have experience with a 2009 Reign frame. In fact, I swapped all parts off of a 2007 IH MK3 to the Reign. The seatpost doesn't fit the Reign. 30mm for IH, 30.9mm for the Reign.

Crankset, fork, wheels and derailleaurs fit fine. The fork was a tight fit due to the fact that the Giant has a longer headtube than the MK3.

The reign is a great choice. Banshee spitfire might is a slacker geometry option as well as some of the Marin XC options.
    Marin Mount Vision:
    http://adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm...Mtn.%26%20Road)
    Headset different and seatpost but a good option.

NIce option
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+09.aspx

Smoove:
    http://adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm...ryname=Banshee
    Last edited by wormvine; 06-10-2010 at 10:05 PM.

My bike is my happy place
    Feb 2004
    Get the Mk2 welded. The 7005 aluminum doesn't need heat treating, so a few weeks of sitting should be all it needs to recover. I had a collar put on my Mk2's broken seat tube for $40.
    Life is a bowl of fruit, and I am trying to not bite into the mold.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I thought about fixing my MK2, if it were just the seatpost tube I would do it but it also has the front triangle broken almost completely at the horizontal section. when i hit hard the seat tube break separated almost two inches (held by the DW link) which broke the front triangle horizontal bar. i love that frame so much i think i will look into it. an awful lot of money and technology to throw into the trash.
    thanx all for the input...

Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i love that frame so much i think i will look into it. an awful lot of money and technology to throw into the trash.
    get yourself another durable frame and re-use all your components and never look back... that's what I did: I bought a 2010 barely used Mojo frame for $1100 (well ended up getting pretty much complete XTR bike as my components could use an upgrade) and was the best thing I ever did...

Funny thing is that the Mojo is very similar to the MKIII in a very good way, and yet so much better - really the next step up IMO. Talked to Ibis owner Hans (hanss) who is active on mtbr and he actually bought and liked the MKIII before designing the Mojo! same good DW design.
    you can see my quick review after just a few rides. love it even more now that I tweaked the bike to my ridding.