banned

Bought a Hollowpoint expert today

After narrowing my choices down to SC Heckler, Specialized Enduro, or Weyless XP Pro.

After Coming this >< close to buying a Heckler with a Maverick fork from my lbs for $3,000,

I came across a few threads on the Hollowpoint today, did my reading, drove down to Supergo in Santa Monica, rode it and picked it up for $1600 tax free.

All I have done so far is adjust the seat and cut 1.5" off each end of the bars. Those suckers were wide.

Anyway, I plan to put it on a bit of a diet in the upcoming months. Starting with seat, seatpost, stem and bars. I need to bring the bars up a bit higher I think.

Any suggestions on any of the above items for saving a little weight but retaining strength?

I won't be able to put any offroad time on it until tuesday but I'll come back here and give my impressions after I do.

FYI, using my unscientific method I weighed the bike (complete nothing bolted on), at exactly 31.5 pounds. I have a doctor's scale in my garage, I weighed myself first, then myself holding the bike. Eventually I'd like to get it down to 27 - 28 pounds.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by gmaki
    FYI, using my unscientific method I weighed the bike (complete nothing bolted on), at exactly 31.5 pounds. I have a doctor's scale in my garage, I weighed myself first, then myself holding the bike. Eventually I'd like to get it down to 27 - 28 pounds.
    I've got a Hollowpoint Team (same frame) that weighs in around 28 lbs. Here's my build:

Hollowpoint Team frame
    Talas RLC fork
    Float AVA shock
    XTR crank+ BB
    Sram 9.0 shorty shifters, rear der
    XT front Der.
    King Hubs
    Bonty Mustang rims
    Ritchey Z-Max WCS 2.1 front tire
    Panaracer Smoke Compe 2.1 rear tire
    DT 14/15 DB spokes
    Stealth carbon flat bar
    Sette stem
    Thomson seatpost
    Terry Fly saddle
    Avid Mech discs (not the lightest thing out there)
    Avid Ultimate Black Ops levers
    Time ATAC carbon pedals (not the lightest either, but great for where I ride)

I think I've decided this bike may climb even better than my Titus RacerX (but don't tell the Titus that!). Have fun with your new bike!

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr "member"

Nice..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    I've got a Hollowpoint Team (same frame) that weighs in around 28 lbs. Here's my build:

Hollowpoint Team frame
    Talas RLC fork
    Float AVA shock
    XTR crank+ BB
    Sram 9.0 shorty shifters, rear der
    XT front Der.
    King Hubs
    Bonty Mustang rims
    Ritchey Z-Max WCS 2.1 front tire
    Panaracer Smoke Compe 2.1 rear tire
    DT 14/15 DB spokes
    Stealth carbon flat bar
    Sette stem
    Thomson seatpost
    Terry Fly saddle
    Avid Mech discs (not the lightest thing out there)
    Avid Ultimate Black Ops levers
    Time ATAC carbon pedals (not the lightest either, but great for where I ride)

I think I've decided this bike may climb even better than my Titus RacerX (but don't tell the Titus that!). Have fun with your new bike!

Kathy :^)
    Sweet rim choice. Bonty Mustangs were probably one of the best rims ever made. Not sure I can get any anymore. This makes me a bit sad.

REEK

banned
    OK, after a lot of reading today, I am thinking the biggest bang for the buck and most effective area to start bringing down the weight would be the hubs/wheels. However, I can't find the weight of those "crossland" hubs/wheels anywhere on the web.

Does anyone have any idea what these things weigh or do I have to take them off and weigh them. I don't want to go buying a new wheelset until I am sure I am going to get a significant weight savings.

May contain nuts
    OK, after a lot of reading today, I am thinking the biggest bang for the buck and most effective area to start bringing down the weight would be the hubs/wheels. However, I can't find the weight of those "crossland" hubs/wheels anywhere on the web.

Does anyone have any idea what these things weigh or do I have to take them off and weigh them. I don't want to go buying a new wheelset until I am sure I am going to get a significant weight savings.
    I'd only worry about weight if you're wanting to race it. If you're still set on becoming a weenie, buy a scale and start weighing stuff. Otherwise you're relying on manufacturers unreliable specs and hearsay.
    Kathy's Sette stem weighs about 140g compared to the EA70 at 220g, get a Ti bolt kit from IH, lighter tires, grips, pedals, bars and seatpost. I wouldn't use a carbon bar or seatpost unless you're lightweight and easy on gear.
    I race my 03 Expert on rough short courses and 6/12 hr events. I prefer a hardtail for smooth courses with lots of climbing.

banned
    Yeah, you are right. I have decided to not change anything unnecessary until after my first major ride in a month. I am not a weight weenie really, but I do like to change and try and impove things on the bike, it keeps my interest up. I won't be changing anything soley to make it lighter.

I know I want Sram shifters and X.0 rear derailler, I know I am going to need a new seat, and I am pretty sure I am going to need a new stem bar combo (to get more rise) so I might as well get lighter better parts while I am at it.

As far as the wheels, If I find out that I can save a lot of weight by swapping them out, then that is something I would want to do. But I'd like to find out a little more about the wheels I've got now before doing so. The problem is it seems like like these wheels don't exist other than on this particular bike. I'll pull the trigger for the large weight savings but I won't be spending hundreds of dollars to save tens of grams that's for sure.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    Sweet rim choice. Bonty Mustangs were probably one of the best rims ever made. Not sure I can get any anymore. This makes me a bit sad.

REEK
    I agree. Nice rim and not outlandishly priced. Someone I know wanted some recently, and we found that Speedgoat's website still lists them. Not sure if that's a guarantee they're in stock, though.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yeah, you are right. I have decided to not change anything unnecessary until after my first major ride in a month. I am not a weight weenie really, but I do like to change and try and impove things on the bike, it keeps my interest up. I won't be changing anything soley to make it lighter.

I know I want Sram shifters and X.0 rear derailler, I know I am going to need a new seat, and I am pretty sure I am going to need a new stem bar combo (to get more rise) so I might as well get lighter better parts while I am at it.

As far as the wheels, If I find out that I can save a lot of weight by swapping them out, then that is something I would want to do. But I'd like to find out a little more about the wheels I've got now before doing so. The problem is it seems like like these wheels don't exist other than on this particular bike. I'll pull the trigger for the large weight savings but I won't be spending hundreds of dollars to save tens of grams that's for sure.
    If you're certain you're going to swap certain parts, it's best to yank them off now while they're new so you can advertise them as such and get full value on eBay. That'll pay a good chunk towards any upgrade costs.

Who put that rut there?
    Aug 2004

Your best bet for weight is obviously going to be your wheelsets. I have no worries about weight with my Mavic 3.1's that came with it. I use the Continental Vertical Pro UST tires for the best hook up here in SoCal dust trails. As for my seat and bars, I changed the seat from the Selle a$$ hatchet that came on it to a WTB Laser V titanium and that thing is comfy and light. I put an Easton MG60 4 bolt stem with an Answer Carbon XC pro bar on it. As far as a seat collar, Salsa makes the easiest one to use I think. I think the absolute best bet for shaving weight off the bike is to stop eating Doritos and drink light beer.
    Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you are both retards.

Clydesdale Warrior

... and if we just ... Crosslands...

I can't find the weight of those "crossland" hubs/wheels anywhere on the web.
    Here ya go: http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mav...ct.id=65&lg=uk

(on the Mavic Website, who woulda thunk?)

sh0rty :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job!

I have a pair of crosslands I've used for probably 5 years. ( the older ones) Stll ride them on my Trek, and they are still as solid as the day I bought them. Good choice for weight and duribility. ~eyeguy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, the crosslands weigh 970 for the frnt, and I believe 1160 for the back..

If you were to get some mavic 317's built up on some lighter hubs, that would save you probaly 300 grams total

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I came across a few threads on the Hollowpoint today, did my reading, drove down to Supergo in Santa Monica, rode it and picked it up for $1600 tax free.
    isnt the price 1399 before tax? thats whats listed on their website
    after tax it should have been 1514.42

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frank828
    isnt the price 1399 before tax? thats whats listed on their website
    after tax it should have been 1514.42
    Yes that's the price on the web, but they would not match it for the in store price while they were having the tax-free sale. I did get them to take 50 bucks off but that was it.

I actually walked out, got in my car to leave and thought it over. I realized If I left I'd be saving 50 bucks but I'd have to wait for shipping and build the bike myself, vs. just walking out with the bike ready to go at that moment.

I chose the easier and slightly more expensive path.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes that's the price on the web, but they would not match it for the in store price while they were having the tax-free sale. I did get them to take 50 bucks off but that was it.

I actually walked out, got in my car to leave and thought it over. I realized If I left I'd be saving 50 bucks but I'd have to wait for shipping and build the bike myself, vs. just walking out with the bike ready to go at that moment.

I chose the easier and slightly more expensive path.

dang, you actually did get a really good deal. Considering you'd have to assemble everything including the disc brakes, etc.

Looks like if i were to go pick one up(about 35 miles away) i'd have to pay about 1693 after tax.

argh...maybe i should just go with the sport, bleh...