Thread: Big Time Bummer

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Big Time Bummer

While doing some routine bolt checks on my 2 month old HP Expert, I discovered to my dismay that the swingarm pivot bolt {the one directly above the BB} was sheared off on the threaded portion of the bolt. What makes this even worse is that this being the day before Thanksgiving, I won't be able to get the bike to the shop untill Friday which also means the the rides I had planned with my friends over this 4 day weekend are shot.
    Due to weather and work I have only had this bike out on rides a few times on some really mellow singletrack.
    Has anyone else suffered this failure? How long does it take IH to get parts to the LBS. Thanks for the feed back and Happy Thanksgiving!

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMITTED
    While doing some routine bolt checks on my 2 month old HP Expert, I discovered to my dismay that the swingarm pivot bolt {the one directly above the BB} was sheared off on the threaded portion of the bolt. What makes this even worse is that this being the day before Thanksgiving, I won't be able to get the bike to the shop untill Friday which also means the the rides I had planned with my friends over this 4 day weekend are shot.
    Due to weather and work I have only had this bike out on rides a few times on some really mellow singletrack.
    Has anyone else suffered this failure? How long does it take IH to get parts to the LBS. Thanks for the feed back and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Iron Horse has these in stock and can ship on Monday. Just have your dealer call. You might be able to pick-up a bolt from a local hardware store to get you thru the weekend.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks Todd! Would you recommend a bolt and fender washer or some other type set-up?

Industry Loudmouth
    Thanks Todd! Would you recommend a bolt and fender washer or some other type set-up?
    The particular bolt in question is sorta like a set screw in between two brass colored nuts, correct? If yes, this would be my fix suggestion.

I do not know the particular size or thread off the top of my head, but you can probably find the same thread screw at a better hardware store. If you can't get it, you should be able to find a bolt of the same thread. If you cut the bolt down to the same length as the original and removed the head, you can ghetto it back together and it should work perfect and allow you to get your weekend rides in.

-ska todd

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks again. I'll give this a try.

mtbjk
    I had the same thing happen to me after about 2 months of rideing called iron horse and had one shipped directly to my house within a week and now have a spare one just in case. have not had a problem with one since but am now on a new 04 replacement frame but the bushing and the stud are the same on the 04's as on the 03's. my problem was i could not get the broken part of the stud out of one of the brass bushing and i drilled it on a drill press and tried to use an easy out on it but it still would not budge I then tried to heat it and loosen the lock tight and that did not work either so i had to wait the week for the bushings and stud but then again the wait was not bad and only missed out on one ride to wich i rode my backup hardtail no problem and i also called supergo and had them ship me the extra one that i have. great customer service from IH and SG
    Jan R Ride On

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks JanR, I went ahead and tried the same removal techniques that you did and ended up at the same place. Nowhere. Which is exactly the same place where I will be riding this weekend . Anyway, I called the LBS where I purchased my HP and they said that it will be about a week and a half to get the part from IH [I'm on the West Coast}. I am going to call CS on Monday and let them know I am more than willing to pay for 2nd day air. Hopefully, I can get the part delivered to my own door so I can install it myself. Do you have any guesses why this part failed and then appeared to be frozen up solid? Also, what torque setting did you use when you did your re-install? Thanks!

mtbjk
    Thanks JanR, I went ahead and tried the same removal techniques that you did and ended up at the same place. Nowhere. Which is exactly the same place where I will be riding this weekend . Anyway, I called the LBS where I purchased my HP and they said that it will be about a week and a half to get the part from IH [I'm on the West Coast}. I am going to call CS on Monday and let them know I am more than willing to pay for 2nd day air. Hopefully, I can get the part delivered to my own door so I can install it myself. Do you have any guesses why this part failed and then appeared to be frozen up solid? Also, what torque setting did you use when you did your re-install? Thanks!
    committed
    ive been an auto tech for 25 years and i dont to offen use a torge wrench accept when assembling an engine. so i really cant answer but if i was to guess id say somewere around 20 to 25 foot pounds dont no what that calculates out to in inch pounds but turn it till it gets snug and go a little further about another 90 degrees and that worked for me as for the cause i beleive that the stud between the bushings is a hardend stud to wich is more brittle than a standard grade bolt and there is a slight amount of flex in the rear pivot and it just flexs enough to snap the stud and it could have been over torgued also putting undo strain on the stud . I now have the 04 frame and there is considerbly less flex in the rear swing arm dont think that it will happen on my 04 but you never no and as for why the broken stud cant be removed from the brass bushing my thought is that it was over torqued and actually stretched the threads and with the locktight causes it to freez together making it totally impossible to loosen up but the funny thing was that the one bushing i was able to twist it out with an allen wrench in the bushing and a pear of vice grips on the stud but the other half would not budge go figure if you were closer id give you my spare to get you going but i would recomend getting your lbs to get you one and also call ih and have them send you a spare just to have encase it happens to you again good luck and hope you get up and rideing again soon the hp is truely a remarkable bike and just does it all well
    Jan R Ride On

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just a quick FYI follow-up - my frame is an '04 also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well, after calling IH 1st. thing this morning, I was told that IH would not ship me a pivot bolt directly and that I had to go through the LBS {I offered to pay for shipping}. That kinda didn't sit well because I know they have shipped this part to the end consumer in the past. Anyway, I called the LBS back and they had found a spare pivot bolt in their inventory. Drove the 40 minutes to the shop and they had the new bolt installed in 5 minutes. Evidently, at least in this shop, they are experiencing a real issue with this particular bolt {the brass colored one above the BB}. breaking on the '04 HP with a lot of them coming back in. They are waiting for IH to address this issue. They said other than this flaw, everything else about the bike rocks. After a long weekend , I'm back in the saddle

Riding a Rig.
    cool. I never heard about that bolt breaking until recently... I wonder why they are breaking?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No one really has an answer. Stess, wrong torque.... I watched the wrench install the new one. He liberally applied grease to both halfs of the sleeve sections and basically just torqued them down by feel. Call me anal, but I use torque wrenches for everything. I believe that a certain percentage of the issues that come up with regards to failed assesories and components could probably be traced to inadequate {+ or -} torque { I know, not all failures}. Especially when it comes to carbon components. I think I might go ahead and remove the new bolt, extract the inserted threaded section and replace it with a hardened piece.

Riding a Rig.
    I'm not quite sure I understand what the said part looks like...
    Does someone have a picture of it? Or can you descrbe it more?
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I did not take any pics. It's the large, brass colored pivot bolt just above the BB. Check out JanR's thread. He experienced the same failure. Hopefully, these are just flukes.