Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

Bearing Q for Ska Todd

Todd, I got the new bearings from IH CS. They sent me even more than I asked for, which is good, because I discovered a couple of the smaller bearings were getting rough, too.

When I popped out the main pivot bearings, I noticed they're not enduro bearings. Would enduros hold up better in the frequently sloppy conditions here in the Northeast? Or, are they just not that much better? Any problem if I were to sub the same size enduros in for the stock units?

Second, all the bearings popped out and reinstalled nicely except for the ABEC 5 units on the ends of the swingarm that attach to the link plates. This is the one place where the face of the frame isn't flat around the bearing, so it's hard to find something to rest it on to give it a whack without risk of damaging the frame. Any suggestions? I haven't called the IH dealer yet, because his is a *very* small shop (basically a garage) that doesn't do much high end business and may not be equipped to do anything differently. If I do call him, is there a piece of equipment, like a particular bearing puller, that I should ask if he has before I take the bike to the shop? It's nearly an hour drive to get there, and I don't want to make the trip if he doesn't have tools I don't already have. Is there a tool one of my closer, non-IH dealers may have?

Thanks for your help and your patience!

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
    Bump.
    I would like to read the reply to this one. I replaced mine with sealed bearings from the local parts place last winter. I am planning on a new paint job again and I will replace the bearings when I paint.
    Lucky, when I pulled mine, I took a short piece of pipe(ID slightly bigger then the bearing OD) ground it down to fit that curved profile, then used some threaded rod and washers to do the pull. Tape up the edge of the pipe piece to keep from scratching the paint unless your like me and are going to put a custom paint job on the triangle!
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    Bump.
    I would like to read the reply to this one. I replaced mine with sealed bearings from the local parts place last winter. I am planning on a new paint job again and I will replace the bearings when I paint.
    Lucky, when I pulled mine, I took a short piece of pipe(ID slightly bigger then the bearing OD) ground it down to fit that curved profile, then used some threaded rod and washers to do the pull. Tape up the edge of the pipe piece to keep from scratching the paint unless your like me and are going to put a custom paint job on the triangle!
    What kind of pipe - PVC? Sounds like something to try this weekend. I think I can picture what you mean, but if you had a photo of your jig, I'd love to see it. I've got threaded rod and washers already. That's what I used as a punch for all the other bearings.

You're going to change the VanHollowpoint?!? Noooooo! That's such a cool, one-off paint scheme.

If I paint anything, I'm just going to get some touch-up paint and go after a few big scratches. Pileing her in a van with 10 other bikes on vacation added to the scar count.

Kathy

Crawlin' like a Crawfish!

not PVC

Lucky, I used a piece of steel tubing that I picked up at the local hardware store. I had to buy a 3 foot piece but it wasn't expensive. You should grab one of the bearings of the same size and take it with you, you might even have a better store than mine that would cut you a chunk. If you haven't got it by early next week, I'll upload a photo. I have got a business trip to the far northeast from sunday thru tuesday, I'll see if you got it by wednesday morn.
    Have a good weekend and good luck with the project.
    I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut?

Quote Originally Posted by zoo00oom
    Lucky, I used a piece of steel tubing that I picked up at the local hardware store. I had to buy a 3 foot piece but it wasn't expensive. You should grab one of the bearings of the same size and take it with you, you might even have a better store than mine that would cut you a chunk. If you haven't got it by early next week, I'll upload a photo. I have got a business trip to the far northeast from sunday thru tuesday, I'll see if you got it by wednesday morn.
    Have a good weekend and good luck with the project.
    No luck so far. I got a 3" steel pipe nipple, but grinding it to the right angle is going be a big chore for my little bench grinder. I haven't set aside the time it's gonna' to take to do it, and I need to do it outdoors so I don't set my garage on fire with the sparks.

It's a darn good thing I've got more than one bike. This is turning into a real PITA.

Kathy