mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Back on the old horse

Well it looks like I will be back on an Iron Horse again shortly. Had a 6 Point built up and for the most part really liked it. I am about 5'10" and was on a medium 6 Point, tried a few different setups (stem, bars, set back seat post...) but it never felt quite right. This is likely due to the shorter than normal top tube that is on the 6 Points.

Back in 2005/2006 I had a 7 Point (medium) built up like a tank, heavy a hell, but the thing was amazing on steep, rough, technical lines. Wanted to go lighter so after playing on a Nomad for about a year, went to the 6Point, and built it up as my FR bike.

So here I am am after picking up two bikes (Banshee Rune and IH 7 Point) and deciding which to go with. In the end I decided to run the 7 Point over the Banshee Rune. A couple of things that pushed me back to the IH.
    - 7 inches of nice DW travel (Rune is 6 inches)
    - already have a couple of nice 12 x 150 wheels (Rune uses 135 x 10)
    - 1.5 headset for angleset (Rune is also 1.5)
    - Thought the Rune would be too close to my 6" travel XC/AM bike.

Bike is just about ready to go. Had an 1.5 degree angleset installed, so no when running a 180mm 66 RC2X the headangle is about 65.5 - 66 degrees (right where I like it). Took the Manitou ISX-6 off of my 6 Point, along with my wheels 721s on Hadley rear, King front hubs, SRAM X9 drive train, and Juicy 7 brakes. The bike is a little under 40lbs with dual ply 2.5 tires. I have a front wheel that I use on my XC/AM bike with a 1.5ply tire along with a second 12 x 150 rear wheel also with a 1.5 ply that drops a good 2lbs off it I want to lighten things up.

Pics to follow on the 7 Point.

PS. Stoked about being on a slacker bike again. The choice to go IH over the Rune is nothing negative towards the Rune. The Banshee is an amazing looking bike, build quality is top notch. Would have likely go towards the Rune if my small bike was smaller and I didn't have the nice wheelset and extra shocks around that happen to fit the 7 point.

PPS: SPAM: Brand new 2008 Rune for sale as complete bike.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/753824/

banned
    You must have warmer climes to ride in. If not (like me), you can ride it in the snow, just don't ride it in the snow!

Have fun with it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey rideitall, good to here from you.
    Nice idea with angleset on a 7 Point. I had an 05' 7 Point as well and absolutely loved it for the same reasons you do, but it always felt a little too steep when pointed down. The CC angleset would have fixed that issue completely.
    I'm still loving my first gen 6 Point with the ISX-4 shock. I use a shorter (8.5") i2i to make it a little slacker, this makes the pedaling a little bit compromised but dials the geometry in nicely. Now you have me thinking though, about a 7 point with an angleset. It sounds like a mini Sunday that can still pedal up a hill. It should be a nice setup!

Post up some pics of that bad boy when you're done!
    Last edited by DirtDiggler; 12-16-2010 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey there DD

I had my 6 point setup with the 8.75 x 2.75 shock and a 180mm fork. Even tried the RWS headset externalizer, but never got the bike to feel right. Not certain if it was that the head angle was too steep for my liking or the shorter top tube on the 6-Point.

The rebuilt 7 Point is ready to go. Still haven't got the 3-M protective tape on, but other that that is ready to go. Nothing too special on the build, but I am surprised the weight is still at 40lbs.

Here is the high level spec

ISX-6 Air - can't really do much more
    2007 66 RC2X - I believe this in only 6lbs so pretty light. Would be really nice though to try out the 2011 66 RC3 Ti
    Mavic 721 rims, hadley on the back, King on the front. Could go lighter but want quality here.
    Still running dual ply Maxxis 2.5 DHF/DHR. I think these are about 1250g per tire. Could run a 1.5 ply Schwalbe Muddy Mary or Maxxis EXO and drop about 300-350g per tire. That would be pretty big drop and not really loosing too much in terms of durability.
    Drivetrain is SRAM X9 with Juicy 7 brakes - so not much to loose there
    Cranks - FSA Moto-X (or GAP), likely a little heavy but don't want to drop a wack of cash on another 83mm crankset.
    Stem and bar - Already pretty light, Easton bar and an Axiom stem.

Will try ot get some pics up this weekend as the weather should be good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Old Horse New Pics

Okay here are a few pics of a 2008 IH 7 Point rebuilt with a Cane Creek 1.5 degree angleset installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back on the old horse-p1030003.jpg  

Back on the old horse-p1030004.jpg  

Back on the old horse-p1030005.jpg  

Back on the old horse-p1030006.jpg  

banned
    Granted it's just a picture, but that front-end looks waayyy too tall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall
    Hey there DD

I had my 6 point setup with the 8.75 x 2.75 shock and a 180mm fork. Even tried the RWS headset externalizer, but never got the bike to feel right. Not certain if it was that the head angle was too steep for my liking or the shorter top tube on the 6-Point.

The rebuilt 7 Point is ready to go. Still haven't got the 3-M protective tape on, but other that that is ready to go. Nothing too special on the build, but I am surprised the weight is still at 40lbs.

2007 66 RC2X - I believe this in only 6lbs so pretty light. Would be really nice though to try out the 2011 66 RC3 Ti
    Mavic 721 rims, hadley on the back, King on the front. Could go lighter but want quality here.
    Still running dual ply Maxxis 2.5 DHF/DHR. I think these are about 1250g per tire. Could run a 1.5 ply Schwalbe Muddy Mary or Maxxis EXO and drop about 300-350g per tire. That would be pretty big drop and not really loosing too much in terms of durability.
    Cranks - FSA Moto-X (or GAP), likely a little heavy but don't want to drop a wack of cash on another 83mm crankset.

It sounds like the tires/tubes will be the cheapest way to get some noticeable weight off of it. You might be able to save even more by using thinner tubes. I use light 2.25 tubes with my 2.5 tires and I notice zero compromise in flatting compared to thicker tubes. Those DH tubes can add 1/2-3/4 of a pound of rolling weight. There's also tubeless as well. Also, forget replacing the cranks; Gaps are still one of the lightest crankset for an 83mm BB. Atlas cranks are probably slightly lighter. The only other place is your rims and fork which are on the heavy side. A Lyrik 170 solo air or 36 float would take between 2-3 pounds off the bike.....but that's a lot of money. 721's are tanks but are indestructible. You probably won't be able to find something lighter without loosing 'some' strength, so it might not be worth it depending on how hard your ride. I have had good luck with DT rims.

I would play with the tires and tubes and call it a day.

BTW, that angleset looks super cool. The bike looks awesome raked out a little more like that. I wish I could rake out my 6 point a little more but it uses a zero stack headtube which is a no-go for the angleset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler
    It sounds like the tires/tubes will be the cheapest way to get some noticeable weight off of it. You might be able to save even more by using thinner tubes. I use light 2.25 tubes with my 2.5 tires and I notice zero compromise in flatting compared to thicker tubes. Those DH tubes can add 1/2-3/4 of a pound of rolling weight. There's also tubeless as well. Also, forget replacing the cranks; Gaps are still one of the lightest crankset for an 83mm BB. Atlas cranks are probably slightly lighter. The only other place is your rims and fork which are on the heavy side. A Lyrik 170 solo air or 36 float would take between 2-3 pounds off the bike.....but that's a lot of money. 721's are tanks but are indestructible. You probably won't be able to find something lighter without loosing 'some' strength, so it might not be worth it depending on how hard your ride. I have had good luck with DT rims.

I would play with the tires and tubes and call it a day.

BTW, that angleset looks super cool. The bike looks awesome raked out a little more like that. I wish I could rake out my 6 point a little more but it uses a zero stack headtube which is a no-go for the angleset.
    GAPS are pretty heavy if I recall correctly. I have Gravity lights and put the original Gaps on my DH bike. The Lights are 285g lighter.

I have the same fork on my 6point and the lightest I have ever been able to get it is 36lbs. That's with HopePro2/DT 5.1d wheelset and fairly light tires and tubes plus the Gravity Light crankset. And the 7point frame weighs more.

And @ RIA, The 66RC2 is more like 6.5 lbs..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey DD
    Right now I use the conti 1.75-2.5 tubes, good quality but not a DH tube, Will try some experiementing with tires. I am running my XC/AM bike with two sets of wheels and my heavy set is the Muddy Mary 2.4 on the back and a DHF EXO 2.5 on the front, really like these and hearing many folk starting to run them for FR as well.

I have a second rear wheel, a Hope Pro II 12 x 150 on a Mavic EN521, little lighter than the 721 but almost as strong. I think I will throw the extra DHF EXO 2.5 on there and see how it feels. Then just use my AM wheel, already 20mm with 8" rotor, so real easy to swap. That way I will have the big bike for shuttle days of pedal days.

I need to measure the RC2X , but I thought it was 5.9 lbs, perhaps it was 6.9lbs should have written it down.

As far the front end, the angleset actually slightly drops the bar and bb height as to a stock ZS headset when using the same fork. As far as I know the 7 point geo was based around a 180mm fork.

Back in 2006 I had another 7 Point with a 200mm 888 RC2X, loved the way it rode, but it was a heavy beast.

Will have to wait until after X-MAS now for a ride, skiing it too good right now.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey DD
    Right now I use the conti 1.75-2.5 tubes, good quality but not a DH tube, Will try some experiementing with tires. I am running my XC/AM bike with two sets of wheels and my heavy set is the Muddy Mary 2.4 on the back and a DHF EXO 2.5 on the front, really like these and hearing many folk starting to run them for FR as well.

I have a second rear wheel, a Hope Pro II 12 x 150 on a Mavic EN521, little lighter than the 721 but almost as strong. I think I will throw the extra DHF EXO 2.5 on there and see how it feels. Then just use my AM wheel, already 20mm with 8" rotor, so real easy to swap. That way I will have the big bike for shuttle days of pedal days.

I need to measure the RC2X , but I thought it was 5.9 lbs, perhaps it was 6.9lbs should have written it down.

As far the front end, the angleset actually slightly drops the bar and bb height as to a stock ZS headset when using the same fork. As far as I know the 7 point geo was based around a 180mm fork.

Back in 2006 I had another 7 Point with a 200mm 888 RC2X, loved the way it rode, but it was a heavy beast.

Will have to wait until after X-MAS now for a ride, skiing it too good right now.

Cheers
    It's nice to have another wheelset and tires to swap out for lighter riding. Sounds like a good solution. Hope Pro II's are super nice, well built and light. Ha ha.... I remember seeing your old 7 Point with the dual crown 888's in one the posts a long time ago, that thing was a beast!

I still think the 6 point and 7 points are the best bikes out there. It's crazy how many companies 'borrowed' the bent tubing design that DW launched back in '05. He is a pioneer not only of suspension design but frame design as well. An old 7 Point still looks fresh today in my opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back on the old horse-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, aside from the weight the 7Point I had was likely the hardest I pushed a bike. The thing was heavy with the stock Mavic 325 wheels (total boat anchors), full on DH tubes, along with the bouncy bits 888 RC2X (weren't those about 8lbs back then), and the Roco TST with a steel spring.

Can recall what the exact weight was, but it must have been north of 45lbs.

Found an old picture of my previous 7 Point. It was fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back on the old horse-ih-7p5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey there DD

nice bike..
    How did you get the manitou shock to work with the 10mm shock bolts?
    does someone make bushings for this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah
    nice bike..
    How did you get the manitou shock to work with the 10mm shock bolts?
    does someone make bushings for this?

Yes, the hw is tought to get. Got it through Manitou. Took some begging and follow-up but did manage it. This was actually from my 6 Point, but changed out the Fox Van and the mounting hardware so I could keep the Manitou on the 7 Point.

The ISX and Revox are excellent shock on multi-link bikes (DW-Link, VPP, Maestro ...). Haven't tried all the shocks (Elka, RC4 Bos) but out of the usuall suspects I prefer the Manitou shim stack shocks.

Cheers
    J