mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Azure frame shock

I have a 2008 DW-link Iron Horse with a Fox float R shock without a propedal switch. It is a level 1 compression tune. I was wanting to switch the Fox shock with my RockShox MC3.3. This way I could have a shock that I can switch the platform on for long non-technical climbs. Is it true that the fox shocks for DW-link bikes is specially set up with lower compression than other Fox shocks or is it just the typical fox float R shock with the level 1 compression tune?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wraydp
    Is it true that the fox shocks for DW-link bikes is specially set up with lower compression than other Fox shocks or is it just the typical fox float R shock with the level 1 compression tune?
    It seems unlikely that IH would have commissioned Fox to produce a non standard compression tuned shock. If they had, it would have been well advertised.

In any case the beauty of the DW link design is that it requires minimal compression in order to pedal efficiently. The shock is still "active" so it can respond to the terrain (unlike a bike that is locked out completely), but unless you have a really messy pedalling technique, pedal induced bob should be barely noticeable.

The Fox is a better shock (IMO) than the RS. I wouldn't swap it out for the sake of a lockout on a bike that doesn't need it. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'll second the opinion that a platform isn't necessary. Look down at the shock when you're pedaling uphill or anywhere else, and see if there is any perceptible pedal-induced movement. I know there isn't on mine.

It made me feel good at a recent event when I was in a large pack of riders, many who were riding bikes that cost at least twice as much as mine. As we climbed up a fire road, I looked around and almost everyone's rear shock was bouncing as they pedaled. I looked down at mine and there was no movement at all.

I continue to be amazed by the DW Link.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think the shock was chosen specifically for the bike. Talk to fox. They will know.