mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Azure Comp 07 vs Specialized FSR XC Expert 08

Hi all,

With Randall Scott's sale going on recently I've found the Azure Comp to be comparable price wise to a FSR XC Expert I've seen in a local store. The FSR is $100 more, at $1500, though. Looking from a pure component stand point, the Azure seems to have the step up with Fox floats in the rear. I couldn't seem to find weight figures quoted for either bike, however. (for 17") Iron Horse lists the 19" at 28.3lbs, so I presume the 17" should be a bit lighter. Any numbers for the FSR?

Off the bat it seems like the Azure seems to be the favorite here - Is there an x-factor somewhere here that I should be aware of? What about the frame design? I know IH touts the DW link. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zstryder
    Hi all,

With Randall Scott's sale going on recently I've found the Azure Comp to be comparable price wise to a FSR XC Expert I've seen in a local store. The FSR is $100 more, at $1500, though. Looking from a pure component stand point, the Azure seems to have the step up with Fox floats in the rear. I couldn't seem to find weight figures quoted for either bike, however. (for 17") Iron Horse lists the 19" at 28.3lbs, so I presume the 17" should be a bit lighter. Any numbers for the FSR?

Off the bat it seems like the Azure seems to be the favorite here - Is there an x-factor somewhere here that I should be aware of? What about the frame design? I know IH touts the DW link. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Cant go wrong with DW link of course, and nothing to be aware of except the frame tends to run on the heavy side. In its defense its built up and ultra stiff in the rear triangle, which is nice if you are unforgiving with your bikes. I own an 06 Comp and I like having a "different" bike than others. Buying locally though is always a good bet, I mean what if something goes wrong in the beginning? I would go to the shop and test ride (and weigh) the Specialized and if it feels right go for it.