mtbr member
    Apr 2007

The Azure appreciation thread!

Ok I found some snippets about the azure and I wanted to post them here as an ode to my new bike that I LOVE.

Mountian Bike Action
    http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=1532
    "Who would have guessed that Iron Horse would have pulled out all of the stops and elevated itself to a pro-level performance peddler? We rode the cross-country racing Azure and must report that it can run with the Specialized Epic in the pedaling platform department—and it out handles all but, well—let’s just say that it will save you a few grand and deliver profesional results on the track. Wow!"

"…we can honestly give the Azure the MBA stamp of approval as a competitive cross-country racer." "When we hit the trail, the Azure would remain firm under power-very firm, while the shock was cycling smoothly." The DW Link suspension is "…a perfect balance between ultra-firm pedaling and supple suspension performance." "…a rear suspension that never wallows, even under the hardest effort,…you get the ability to remain in the middle chainring on climbs where most are relegated to the granny. It's really that good." "…the suspension stays active because (it) counters your body's mass-transfer and doesn't use chain tension to effectively stiffen the shock."

DirtRag Review
    http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...=stuff_reviews
    "It accelerates without hesitation and climbs without wandering. Its suspension is compliant and smooth and takes roots less than three inches tall like a champion boxer, yet handles the big blows that 90mm can't hide from. It's "active" as an active system gets, but doesn't roam around in the middle of the travel during low speed technical maneuvers like a 125mm travel bike can."

VeloNews Buyer's Guide 2006
    "As with many Iron Horse bikes, the Azure Expert uses Dave Weagle's DW-Link, meaning the rear wheel moves slightly back and up instead of in an arc like most single-pivot designs. This offers superior square-edge bump absorption. The Azure Expert measures slightly steeper and shorter than the Giant Trance 2, and that geometry, paired with a half-inch less travel, makes this bike perfect for the racer looking for more race and less all-around performance."

Where do I get the pivot torque information on the 2006 Azure? I found this page http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168138, but I don't see the 06' information there but its probably the same. Which ones are the SS pivot and CS pivots?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Anecdotal. . .

I started the Kokopelli Trail Race this past weekend, but only got halfway before I gave up. About the only piece of equipment that didn't give me problems was my Azure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by perioeci; 05-23-2007 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Azure as a Trail Bike (F-ing Fast)

For what it's worth, and to throw my 2 cents in, I use my 06 Azure Expert for basic trail riding. It handles 2-3 foot drops (easy, not hucking), in a plush manner. I started trail riding 17 years ago with a rigid frame, then in 98 got my 1st FS rig (FSR Specialized).
    So for me the Azure really does the job. It feels as fast as a rigid or hardtail bike. It is a butt kicking fast trail bike, lots of fun to ride, plush and responsive. I find myself standing up and hammering on the thing like you would on a road bike.

I did change the stem and bars to get it more upright, and have been toying with the idea of putting a Marzochhi AM 130mm fork on it to replace the Fox 100mm.

One thing is for sure I will buy another Iron Horse, I'm thinking a 6 point. And as far as dealers go, I'll only be buying from Randall Scott.

mtbr member

read the

thanks for the positive feedback. Give us a ring and we'll send you a t-shirt and some rad stickers (if you want them of course) I think they are super cool but you could say i am biased

Randall Scott

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Thanks RS

RS,

Thanks for the offer. I was given the run around with Retailer X. When I called Randall Scott, I got all the technical assistance, no BS and the proper service and respect. Never mind the lowest price. Couldn't be happier.

Looking forward to the fall/winter sales next year.

Here is a shot of my Azure. I can't help myself with the beartraps

mtbr member
    Hi GFR

I've been thinking about trying 130 on the front of my Azure too. You may well know this, but I'm pretty sure the Fox 100 can be increased to a 130 travel fork by simply switching an internal spacer - a 15 min job I havent yet got around to. Anyhoo, it might be a good way to find out if you like the way it rides with a taller fork before you buy a new taller fork. If you do, let me know if it rides any different.

Also, wheel reflectors - really?

Patsy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

130mm? on Fox

Patsy,

From what I've read in the Fox manual, the model I have can't be changed, also I inquired about that with RS Cycle. Where did you hear it could be increased to 130mm?

Thanks

Dave

mtbr member
    A friend of mine changed his float 100s to 130 last week. When I looked on the Fox website, it seemed to indicate all the 100s could be upped to 130. Check out p.14 of this manual http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...06_32mm_en.pdf

But then I looked closer and read further and it seems 'floats' can be increased, but 'f series' cannot ( I dint know there was a distinction). It sounds like maybe the forks we have are 'f series' as opposed to 'floats'. Pffffff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeriatricFreeRide
    Patsy,

From what I've read in the Fox manual, the model I have can't be changed, also I inquired about that with RS Cycle. Where did you hear it could be increased to 130mm?

Thanks

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Fox Float F100 R on 2006 Azure Expert

Patsy,

You had me looking at my fork and break out the manual.

My bike came with the F100R, That must be an F series. Page 18 of 2006 Fox Owner's Manual for 32mm Forx, states that "F80 and F100 forks can be reduced in travel.....The forks cannot be increased in travel beyond their original settings."

I like the fork it seems plush enough, thats why I haven't put the Marz AM 130mm (P.P. has 2005 Marz AM for $199 air sprung 4lb.(cheap!)). Also I'm afraid of detracting from the Azure's climbability.

Happy Riding

mtbr member
    Hi GFR

Yes, I have the same fork, and you look to be right. Bummer. Not that I ever would have got around to it anyway - but I still feel robbed!

Anyways, that was a pretty effective hi-jack of this thread on my behalf... I agree, the Azure is a great trail bike - and it's a very capable racer. If only it had better rear tire clearance for getting a fatter tire in there. Can't have it all I guess, until the new and improved version is released of course

Happy trails

Carl

Patsy,

You had me looking at my fork and break out the manual.

My bike came with the F100R, That must be an F series. Page 18 of 2006 Fox Owner's Manual for 32mm Forx, states that "F80 and F100 forks can be reduced in travel.....The forks cannot be increased in travel beyond their original settings."

I like the fork it seems plush enough, thats why I haven't put the Marz AM 130mm (P.P. has 2005 Marz AM for $199 air sprung 4lb.(cheap!)). Also I'm afraid of detracting from the Azure's climbability.

Happy Riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Azurated

I guess thats what 2 full days of riding in north central VT. will do to you. My '06 Azure Expert gets around, I was fortunate enough to ride the famed Perry Hill, aka Putnam State Forest (true pine plantation heaven) and Millstone near Barre, with it's awesome maintained singletrack, and 16 quarries. The Azure handled those trails like a fun interactive toy. I'll keep this puppy for now. I was Azurated, needed a day or 2 to rest.

I've had this thing around, its been to the Stewart Lands a half a dozen times, but still needs to be tested in the rock fields of Ringwood

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Thanx RS

Got the Joy Engine Product, and Rad stickers. Thanks!

Here you see the Azure earlier this month out in the Bush. A ride from my back door into an ancient lake bed.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    RS,

Thanks for the offer. I was given the run around with Retailer X. When I called Randall Scott, I got all the technical assistance, no BS and the proper service and respect. Never mind the lowest price. Couldn't be happier.

Looking forward to the fall/winter sales next year.

Here is a shot of my Azure. I can't help myself with the beartraps
    Nice shot. Do you still have the BB spacer on the non drive side? It looks like it in the picture.....

Have you had any BB problems?

bobo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

BB Spacer

Sorry Bobo fo rthe delay in getting back. No I have had no problems with the BB. Yes it still has the spacer that says (I think) do not remove.

I have maybe 800-1000 miles on this bike, and haven't had any problems with the way it was setup.

Are you experiencing problems with your bike? Do you have the spacer? Where did you buy it?

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Sorry Bobo fo rthe delay in getting back. No I have had no problems with the BB. Yes it still has the spacer that says (I think) do not remove.

I have maybe 800-1000 miles on this bike, and haven't had any problems with the way it was setup.

Are you experiencing problems with your bike? Do you have the spacer? Where did you buy it?
    If it is working fine, no need to change anything. I have had lots of "fun" with the BB. I cannot keep dirt out of the thing. Replaced the cups with enduros and it works fine, but keeping is tight and clean is a constant battle....

Keep on riding...

bobo