mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Anyone Ride 2004 Warrior Comp?

I'm looking at the 2004 Warrior Comp from a Sport Check in Canada and was wondering if anyone who owns or has ridden one can provide a review?

It has Manitou Six sport front fork (100mm), Deore components, WTB speed disk rims, Hayes mx-2 mech disk brakes, truvativ iso flow crank.....

Go Leafs Go!

Team
    I have ridden one. Great bike. The only thing I don't like is the grips, defidently change them! The fork is plush.soft but it rides really nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My friend has one and its very nice and i also do ecept i have the previouse year make "warrior disk" the grips are the only weakness but there no big deal. Very nice bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

its the building I'm worried about

My concern is that here in Canada a store called Sport Check is the only retailer of Iron Horse. While they are not a K-Mart or Wal-Mart, they are not even close to being as competent as my local bike shop. I was in my LBS yesterday and test drove both the Kona Blast and Gary Fisher Marlin. I mentioned the Iron Horse to the guy at the shop (great guy buy the way) he said they are quality bikes, but he would be worried with who assembled the bike, as well as future service.

I can get the two bikes mentioned above for about the same price as the Iron Horse, biggest difference are the Hayes disk brakes on the Iron Horse vs. Tektro on the Kona and ProMax on the Marlin.

Right now I just don't know what to do....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The 2004 warrior comp is the best there. My friend rides one and Its awsome. Theres really not very many weaknesses. Its a good all around bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well, if you're worried about assembling, all that needs to be done out of the box is putting the front wheel, pedals, and seatpost on...not much to it, most of the assembling is from ironhorse. I work at sport chek as a bike mechanic, and I like the ironhorse bikes alot, I ride an iron horse hollowpoint expert, and its pure quality.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Its an all around great bike, the only thing is, those six forks. I hear they brake on very small obstacles and will send u flying over the bars.i havnet heard one good thing about those forks yet, you can check them out on the site and make the decision for yourself. I'm just about to buy a Iron horse MT 75 with the same six forks, i'm gonna replace them as soon as i can.

mtbr member

Good job! Great Bike - but read this!

Yes, it is a great bike, and Iron Horse has very good customer service. You will want to upgrade a few things, so be sure to factor the cost in to your decision.

First of all, you MUST replace the tires. The stock tires are WTB MotoRaptor 2.1 (not 2.14!) The 2.1's are an OEM version that weigh over 2 lbs 2 oz (each!).... the MotoRaptor 2.14 is the commercially available tire that is a fine tire weighing a lot less.

You will also want to replace the IsoFlow crank, it is TruVativ's bottom of the line crank and it too weighs a ton. You will shed nearly a pound by upgrading to the affordable LX crankset and matching bottom bracket (ES51) from Shimano.

Let's see... the stock pedals need to go, but you probably will want your own clipless ones anyway.

The Manitou Six should be on your short list of things to upgrade. A lot of bikes in this price range use it (or something worse) so this is not really a competitive disadvantage. But it is heavy and according to these forums, prone to catastrophic failure. I replaced mine with a Manitou Skareb Elite ... very light and very competent fork. Make sure you replace it with a fork that has 100mm travel.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member

I love mine

I have had my 2004 Comp for 6 months now, and I love it. I have replaced the seat with a better WTB seat form my old bike, and the rear tire with a Velociraptor to deal with the uphill climbs a little better.

Team
    I rode it again today. Its really nice and if you get it I think you will like it.
    fusionx2.com/eatskisleep
    500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    the thingamajig that's attached to the doohickey is causing some issues with the whatchamacallit. But whatever it is your going to have take'er apart a give'er a looksee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Ugh...judging drops on MTBR is like guys judging their own penis size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i have a 04 warrior comp. i got it about a week ago. it is a really good bike for the intermetiate trail rider. components are good, pretty lite, and a good feel.

X-Ray Guy
    I too was worried about buying one from sport chek cuz the guy wasnt the quickiest cookie, but i figured for that price range i got...no other bikes had discs brakes and a decent derailleur package to match for another $200 up. My buddy bought a rocky moutain and his is only 8 speed, and is derailleurs are a step down and he has v brakes, and he paid a good $300 more than me but its still a solid bike. Ive had some little problems but nothing u shouldnt be scared of cuz its good to learn. With the money i saved i picked up clipless pedals which make a huge difference and had my LBS take a look at the bike for $20 and adjust minor things.
    Ive had it for 3 months, fork is a little soft but i kinda like that cuz it picks up all the little things that keeps my wrists in the game. I agree with upgrading the crankset and pedals. Overall i am very satisfied with the deal i got for this thing. I paid around $650 CND for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey! I have had my warrior comp for 1 month now that I ourchased from sportchek in my city and I love the bike. You can't get a better bike then that one for the money. At my local bike shop the closest there is is the giant iguana wich is 200$ more and has downgrade on the fd,brakes,fork ect. If your looking for value, ironhorse is the way to go. The only parts I would change on the warrior is the crankset because it was over a pound also is has a square bb wich won't hold if its given allot of abuse. My crank arm fell off of my bike last week do to the aluminum breaking in but also because the square bb isn't the best. The fork also isn't the best but it requires almost no maintenance since it is the lower end of manitou. If you want to upgrade performance with the fork I would suggest going with manitou black or skareb. Also this is just preference wise but I am not a big fan of rapidfire so I will be getting sram x.o gripshifters and rear derailleur.

Overall the warrior comp is the best bike you'll be getting for your money. If you can find one at this time get it now before their all out.