Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    When in doubt, go faster
    The Aniki sounds pretty dope! Probly gonna be getting myself one within a few weeks.

Planned upgrades (as can be aforded):
    Fork: Probly go with the sherman slider
    Rear Shock: Probly a Vinilla off eBay or sumthin like that, dont wanna shell outta shitload of cash
    Breaks: Probly gonna go with hydrolics eventualy, but maybe not.

Probly going to take the 2nd gear off in the front to save on a little weight, and for simplicitys sake. may swap pedals/cranks out eventualy for something lighter.

I'll post some bike prono as soon aas i get it. no poser shots tho, all hardcore action.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    lets see more action shots guys looking good

Begining to jump
    Oct 2006
    I will as soon as my bike is out of the shop and i have a decent day to go. been off my bike for 2 weeks. feels like its been a month

Begining to jump
    Oct 2006
    So, after a month my bike is finally riding fit. All i needed was a rear derailleur and a rear derailleur hanger. And all that took 1 month and $180. UGH. So a lesson well learned (Check your bike after every ride, and fix it yourself)

that being said, i have been doing some research towards forks. It looks like I shall go with these http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1218
    (Marzocchi Bomber 888RC. 2005)

As for the shock mabye a 4-way swinger or 3-way (Manitiou).

Suggestions on wheels. I am looking for an all around type, considering I wont be going too hardcore yet. Thanks and goodluck!

Brackish
    Azonic Outlaws are an option a lot of people seem to like for aftermarket, affordable FR/DH wheels. If you are putting an 888 on your rig, best to go with a pair of 36 hole wheels that you can grow into, rather than an all-mountain set-up that you will always be pushing the envelope on. The Outlaws are the same wheelset as the Transition and Bombshell branded Revolutions, by the way, but I think the Outlaws are the only ones that come with the axle conversion kits to run standard or thru-axles on both ends.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Alomost an Aniki!

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread and wanted to add some comments regarding my Iron Horse bike. I have a North Face Talkeetna which is an Aniki in disguise (So I guess i'm like a step brother). I bought the frame on Ebay and built it up from scratch. I have plenty of experience from putting this bike together piece by piece and replacing broken parts in the last year, so feel free to ask me any questions. I may have some advice or even
    spare parts that can help keep you guys riding.

I have set my Yakuza up with a Manitou Sherman Breakout (6") on the front and a Manitou Swinger 6-Way on the rear 9.00" x 2.75"). I think anyone that is running the X-Fusion rear shock is doing this bike an injustice. The stock shock limits the suspension travel to 5", which is a little short for any type of stunt or freeriding. IH must have done
    this on these bikes to keep costs down but it was not a very good idea.

I still have the X-Fusion shock that came stock on the frame, if someone broke theirs
    and needs one to keep riding.

As far as the broken SRAM deraillleur pictures posted earlier, I have destroyed three X7
    units this summer alone. Altough the SRAM parts work great and are light weight, they seem to snap quite easily. If your chain gets stock in the pulleys or behind the cassette, you can snap the derailleur or the hanger or both.

I have just purchased a set of Saint wheels (with Mavic 325s) and the axle mount
    Saint derailleur to try to eliminate these issues.

The guys at Iron Horse are real helpful and hooked me up with free or cheap parts when needed.

I don't know much about the Spinner fork but I would ride them until they braek and then
    upgrade. The longer you wait to upgrade the better fork you will get for your money.

I would not recommend a Manitou Nixon for this frame. I have the Nixon Platinum on
    my Jamis XLT and it works great but would not be a great match to the 7" travel rear
    end and 38lb ride. The Nixons have a really low crown height and would make the
    steering even steeper on a frame that is almost too steep to start with.

A seven inch travel fork would probably be ideal for this frame but obviously an expensive upgade. A Sherman Slider or Breakout Plus, 66, 888, Drop-Off or Fox 36-40 would make more sense. The Shermans are pretty cheap on Ebay and the web and I have had great luck with mine. Single pivot bikes like the Aniki, Bullit, and Gemini work really well with Platform type suspensions, like the SPV in many Manitou products.

JP

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Message for YAKUZACruz

I just had to ask what type of hanger and derailleur did you shop intall that cost $ 180.00?

Is there something special that was done? If not, you may want to grab a wrech and learn
    how to fix these things yourself. It is not uncommon to break the hanger and the derailleur
    off on these bikes especially if it is a SRAM product.

JP

Begining to jump
    Oct 2006
    I basicaly got ripped off.

The derailleur was a SRAM X9 and the hangar was some ironhorse thingy. I could have purchased the X9 with shifters for $120, but my knowledge of the bike was limited at that point, so i wanted to have the shop see if there was anything else wrong with it. I have purchased do-it yourself and other related books to help better understand the mechanics. The only thing I lack is a good set of tools.

So the X9 was $100 and the tune up was $60. The hangar cost $20. For that much I could have purchased a 2005 Swinger 3-way .... I am actually thinking about getting the 6-eay though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Swinger 6-Way

Dear YakuzaCRUZ,

You should shop on Ebay or the web, an X9 costs $ 60.00 and learning to fix your bike can be very rewarding.

I have a 6-way currently on my Yakuza but I think a 4-way would be fine also.
    The 3-Way does not offer the SPV adjustment which is nice for different set-up based
    on the riding terrain.The 6-way has both High and Low speed adjustments which may
    be more than most of us need.

You will need to get reducers for the Swinger as the X-Fusion reducers are close but not perfect (I used them for awhile until I got the correct ones from Manitou). Manitou part
    # 85-6294 (8.0mm x 23mm)

Good luck,

JP

mtbr member
    This post has a lot of views!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey guys,

Been considering this bike. Is this a good bike for weekend trail riding? I'm not too sure on all of the "free ride, cross country" etc terms. I just want to go out with the guys and ride trails. Just want to make sure I get the right bike. I've read its heavy, but I'm not sure if that'as a big deal to the type of riding I'll be doing.

THanks!
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heres mine, 05 aniki w/ drop off triples will have dhx 5.0 next week

bad pics if they come up but they are from downieville
    If you get done with the day and at least one thing is broken, then its been a good day.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by YakuzaCRUZ
    I basicaly got ripped off.

The derailleur was a SRAM X9 and the hangar was some ironhorse thingy. I could have purchased the X9 with shifters for $120, but my knowledge of the bike was limited at that point, so i wanted to have the shop see if there was anything else wrong with it. I have purchased do-it yourself and other related books to help better understand the mechanics. The only thing I lack is a good set of tools.

So the X9 was $100 and the tune up was $60. The hangar cost $20. For that much I could have purchased a 2005 Swinger 3-way .... I am actually thinking about getting the 6-eay though.

I have used this place twice and they are great: http://derailleurhanger.com/ironhorse.htm

Begining to jump
    Oct 2006
    I have two questions

1. How do you get the front wheel off.

2. I am trying to adjust my brakes.

Here is how I do it (the brakes are the stock 8" hayes that come with the bike).

Loosen the bolts that hold the brake to the adapter. Tighten the brake lever and tie it in pulled position. Retighten the bolts and then untie the lever.

My back brake is constantly rubbing against the right caliper (if you are looking at the bike upside down and from the back).

My front brake makes noise then no noise repeatedly (as in, when you spin the wheel certain parts of the disc will hit the calipers). The disc isnt bent though (if it is, then it is only slightly)

The only times I have crash are when i have been turning too tightly and slid to the ground rather than topple over.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Also, I want to start looking at some better brakes, any suggestions?

not riding a rockhopper!

brake rub

my brakes rub when i turn and make a jangling noise. Adjusting the calipher didnt fix it. I had the hubs tightened, but that didnt fix it either. I think the problem is the hubs. They arent too high quality and have some play/slop which causes the disks to shift and hit the brake pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    maybe the caliper needs to be centered by eyeball...sometimes the pistons don't move at the same rate and that may cause some off centeredness..i've got hayes on one of my bikes, when they are set up good, they are sweet brakes
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

I wear two thongs
    The brake "jangling" noise comes from flex. The front hub isnt too great and flexes a bit side to side. My rear used to do it as well but when I replaced the rear wheel with an atomlabs trailpimp the jangling stopped in the rear.

Yakuza Cruz: Try this with your brakes. The inside of each caliper (side closest to the spokes) has a flat bolt with an allen key hole in it. You can move the inner brake pad in and out by tightening and loosening this bolt. To reduce your problem of rubbing move the inner brake pad as close to the rotor as you can without it rubbing. Then adjust the cable side brake pad by adjusting either the barrel adjuster (located where you cable meets your brake lever there is a 2 peice screw there) the further in the barrel adjuster is on the lever the further away from the rotor the brake pad is. The further out from the lever the barrel adjuster is the closer it will bring the pad to the rotor. For your situation it seems like you need to buy more room with the cable side pad so you would have to move the barrel adjuster in a bit. If you cant get enough room from moving the barrel adjuster in/ it is already in all the way then you have to let out some cable. You can do this by loosening the bolt that the cable connects to on the caliper and letting out a tiny amount of cable and testing it.

Sorry if I dumbed this down so much, its not meant to be an insult to your bike know-how, I figured I would explain it as easily as possible since I dont know how much bike fixing knowledge you have.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

When in doubt, go faster
    Quote Originally Posted by amheck
    Hey guys,

Been considering this bike. Is this a good bike for weekend trail riding? I'm not too sure on all of the "free ride, cross country" etc terms. I just want to go out with the guys and ride trails. Just want to make sure I get the right bike. I've read its heavy, but I'm not sure if that'as a big deal to the type of riding I'll be doing.

THanks!
    Aaron

Stock, yeas. just get the heavier spring for the rear shok.

Your Local Computer Geek
    Mar 2006
    so I can gather that the lot of Aniki riders like their bikes. I ask because I am looking into getting one for Christmas. I would love to get something a little nicer like a 7 point 3 but money is tight. (got to love the military for that). Thank you for every one who has posted. It has proved to be good reading/research.
    you know not everyday is a sunny day
    there are the days when you are the pigeon
    and the days that you are the statue

Begining to jump
    Oct 2006
    You explained wonderfuly and answered the question better than anyone has. Your suggestion would have worked but I lack the ammount of extra cable that would allow the outside caliper to stop rubbing which sucks. My bike mechanic knowledge is small. I know enough to talk about it but not enough to know how to fix it (oh the irony). So i suppose i should buy a longer length of wire and see if that works?

Also, how do you get the front tire off of the Spinner fork?

When in doubt, go faster
    look at the axleand find two of the right size allen keys.stick one in each hole in the axle and turn counter clockwise.

hope this helps.

I wear two thongs
    Chris is right but Ill explain it a bit more simply.

On the spinner theres two bolts at the bottom of each fork leg called pinch bolts. Loosen these four bolts (but do not remove them completely) then take 2 allen wrenches that fit the allen holes on the outsides of the axle of the wheel and spin them both counter clockwise to their respected orientations, aka think of unscrewing a nut off of a bolt. one (or both) of the ends of the axle will unscrew completely. I find its easiest to unscrew only one end, if both un screw then just screw one end back in by hand this makes for a nice spot to hold on to. Once the pinch bolts and one end of the axle are removed you should be able to slide it out and the wheel should drop right out of the fork.

For putting the wheel back on line up the wheels hub with the axle holes of the fork and slide the axle back in. Then screw on the other end of the axle and tighten it down. Once the axle is tight its onto the pinch bolts. Tighten each pinch bolt on the legs till its just about to get tight and then go a half turn tighter. ***DO NOT*** over tighten your pinch bolts it can cause irreversible damage to the lowers of your fork by cracking the the lower leg rendering the pinch bolts useless.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

When in doubt, go faster

Long shot out in YellowHills. More soon i hope.

And uh, you said something about more simply?

I wear two thongs
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    And uh, you said something about more simply?
    Sweet shot!

Step by step brake down is what I meant by simply, just filling in the gaps that could have confused someone whos not familiar with working on a bike.

When in doubt, go faster
    Props to srclimb for that shot.
    And yea I guess i kinda didnt give a noob friendly description.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast