Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Brackish
    I paid 1399 for the Kumicho last December, got it at Perf. I swapped the spring on the Progressive for a 500# and together with the Jr T the suspension is perfect for downhilling, stunts and the shore. Here's a fresh glamour shot:
    Last edited by carbuncle; 09-13-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Gravity addict
    carbuncle, thats a pretty sweet price for the bike, at least you didnt have to much of an empty wallet after that purchase. most of the bigger travel rigs have huge pricetags but the key is to look around and choose wisely. i love the red on your bike pretty dope color. couple ?s i cant remember is your bike a 7 or 8 inch travel bike? and do you still have the stock rear coil? let me know-t
    How's that dirt taste?

Brackish
    I think the Progressive had a 350# spring on it when I got it. I'm a big boy, 6' 2" and 235, and it was way undersprung for me so I had Perf get a 500# spring from Progressive for me. The Kumicho is 8" of rear wheel travel, and my Jr T has 7 up front so it's pretty balanced. If you are thinking about a Kumicho, I'd say look at the '06s over the '05s. The 05 models had a cheesy toy floating brake that started screaming and vibrating the whole frame on my second hard ride (and the first real big-mountain ride I took it on) and came with a horrifyingly inadequate Manitou Stance Kingpin dual crown fork on it: I never actually even took off road before I swapped it with Jr T I already had. I have some friends who have the '06 White freeride oriented model and the Blue DH racing oriented model, and they are both sweet bikes with killer forks and should be going on sale pretty soon to make room for the '07s. BTW, Yakuzafreerider, I like the stealth black on your rig. It looks like you have done some sensible upgrades, too, all in the right places. What's next, new rear shock? If I have to replace the Progressive (or get to, since I will change it the first time it shows any sign of trouble) I am thinking Fox DHX 5.0 coil, or maybe a Rocco.
    Last edited by carbuncle; 09-18-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Gravity addict
    carbuncle- im not looking at getting anythind else anytime soon...to be honest this bike feels perfect for me. im sure eventually something new one day but with the frame being as solid as it is, i think with some wise upgrade choices this bike will be with me for the long haul...or if the frame ever breaks lol. the rear shock for now is ok...im considering a swinger 4way, or the manitou metal r ...im not one the too picky on adjustments as long as it rebounds good. but my dream shock is the crane creek double barrel. i just want to to the bike evened out in the travel dept. since the photo above of my bike ive done a few things nothing drastic...i removed the plastic sheild between the rear hub and cogs, and turned the diablous bar stem upside down to reverse the angle-flipping the stem changed the feel a lot and works so much better. but my next purchase upgrade wise will be a MRP chainguide-or an e-13...refering to the floating brake-ive heard there was a lot of issues with it at least there are upgrades to remedy it-the kingpin stance...man i almost bought one but the reviews scared me to death so i found a great deal on a manitou sherman slider + and its worked great...finally broke it in, took 20hrs of riding to do so. i like the black on my rig too, but the paint job sucks, chips a lot but im looking at having it redone in another year or so...i just dont want it to rust anywhere...so im considering sticking to the black...maybe airbrushing another dragon on it or black base with gold and hint of silver tiger striping on it.
    How's that dirt taste?

Brackish
    Cool, nice choices. Don't worry about rust, aluminum doesn't rust.

banned
    Popular Science sez...http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/0...cbccdrcrd.html
    So next time you meet some fella named 'Jarvis' and looks like he's a bunch of Mercury in his cargo shorts, you tell him 'No!, you cannot ride my trikie.' Stamp your foot even, on the 'No!'.
    Did you know if you fall into hot asphalt, you can smear Mayonaise all over yourself to clean the tar off? Damn you, Popular Science. Damn you!!! AND if you happen upon a Black Bear (or vice-versa) in the deep spooky woods, don't lie down and play sleepy time. Throw sticks and rocks at the bear. Or Jarvis...

I wear two thongs

My aniki is out of commission for a moment :(

I was riding at Hunter Mountain today and got to test out the new fork and pedals, I loved each and every second of it. The fork was smooth and stiff and much more responsive overall compared to the stock fork. And the 50/50's offered amazing grip throughout the whole ride and they are super comfortable under your feet too.

Now for the bad news..... If you remember the video I posted in a previous post theres a trail that runs through the woods that results in a bridge that emerges out of the woods and rides down over a cliff out into an open spot on the trail. Well I decided to get brave today carried a good clip of speed into the bridge and treated it like a drop, as I landed on the wood I heard a noise come from the rear end of my bike followed by my rear wheel locking up then freeing for about a half turn then locking up again. When I finally got the bike stopped I looked at the damage. My rear derrailleur had cracked at the body and sucked into the spokes and mangled/broke 8 or 9 spokes on my driveside of my brand new TrailPimp. Luckily the rim/hub/cassette went unharmed and somehow my derrailleur hanger is still intact and shows no sign of any stress. Heres a couple pics of whats left of the SX5 and I already have an X.7 on the way and the bike will be in the shop Monday to get the wheel rebuilt. Hey at least I get some more new parts out of the ordeal, I guess it makes up for having to walk up a third of the mountain to do the download of shame down the lift.

Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Gravity addict
    holy crap!!atleast you didnt get hurt...i went over the handle bars once and the bike flipped end over end for ten feet and knocked the rear wheel right outta the frame...it bent my derailuer a little but it bent back with ease luckly i didnt break anything on the bike or myself...well glad your alright man....carbuncle-great to hear aluminum doesnt rust! im glad to that ive made some good choices component wise, its hard with all thats out there to buy....but thank god for the net so you can checkout everything!
    t
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i was thinking about getting one of those aniki's...i guess they will be coming out with 2007 models pretty soon so maybe i should wait

aniki guys, how heavy is the bike really? and how is that spinner ammo fork, is it really all that bad or can it be tuned a bit for performance

thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Yakuza Aniki and Spinner Ammo 1

I just bought a Yakuza Aniki a week ago. The bike itself is pretty cool. It doesn't come with the best specs, but, hey I really can't fit XTR's on my budget and these pieces seem to work fine. When I got it it weighed 38 lbs, which is a bit heavy, but considering it comes with a through-axle fork and Deore-level pieces, it's logical.

Now, as of the Spinner Ammo, it loooks very solid, a bit on the heavy side too. I really wanted to try out something non RS, Manitou or Marzocchi. They are simple and somewhat tweakable (played with different oil for rebound damping already). They are very similar in the way they work to lots of modern forks (left leg spring, right leg damper). I'm still investigating if I got a bad fork or if all are the same, but the rebound spring of my fork sucks horribly: when I jump up any 3-inch tiny object, the fork decompresses totally noisily and the vibration is really bad. I've used Psylos a while now and they never do this. So, I'm still playing around with different rebound springs (not the main big 20-inchs pring but the 1.5-2 inch tiny rebound spring) and elastomers and oil till I find the right combination. A softer rebound spring seems to be working better.

Did anybody have a similar experience with their forks? Could you please email me at gcarrasc@odu.edu with advice about how you fixed this bottoming-out problem? I already emailed spinner-usa.com, but they must be too busy to suggest anything.
    Last edited by goncarrasco; 09-17-2006 at 11:07 PM.

Gravity addict
    i never had any problems with my stock fork...it was a manitou. weight wise now with all upgrades im pushin 40lbs. it does suck but after you ride it awile it gets a lot better. the bike is made to not kill a man budget but leaves awesome potentail for the bike to be upgraded when needed.
    t
    How's that dirt taste?

I wear two thongs
    Yes my stock Spinner made the same noise. Its because it has no rebound controll causing the fork to rebound fast and violently, my bike salesmen said its called fork jack. I swapped out for a Marz Bomber Z1 FR3 and my problem was solved.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    hey im not so happy with the fork also. if you look on spinners web site they spec out that fork for dirt jumping.

Portland, OR
    I know this one is a little off, but I just ordered a 05 Bakuto for $549.99 I cant wait to get it, though it was a battle between that and the 06 chimpera's that they have at my LBS. the hardest thing to think about was... the spinner VS a Splice. just the 20mm wheel would have been really nice, cant wait to get it though, I'll post pics when I get it.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    sweet man send the pics

Portland, OR
    I do have a quick Q though, what dont you guys/gals like about the spinner ammo ? my friend sold me his original one off his chimpera. I bought it for $5.00 I havent ridden it yet, can someone tell me what its like ?
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

I wear two thongs
    The spinner ammo was one of the first things I changed about the bike. Not that it was a horrible fork it worked like it was supposed to and was sufficient at sucking up some good sized bumps but it had next to no adjustability so you cant really dial it in. Also keep in mind the disc mounts on the ammo are made for 8" rotors only aka you only need the standard manitou->IS adaptor and a smaller rotor (to my knowledge) wont fit it. Also another not really problem but nuisance about the fork was with no rebound adjust the fork would spring back out after the front tire left the ground really fast making an obnoxious clanging noise as it reached full extension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    that's pretty cool though, first fork i've heard of that has mounts for 8 inch rotors....don't need an extra bracket, this is cool, like who runs 6 inch anyway....

the spinnner could probably be tweaked on the inside to make it run better...i like knowing how things work anyway....i'll have to keep my eyes open for getting one at a steal price
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    if anyone ever tweeks the spinner keep us informed. i would be interested. i'd do it myself but i know zero about forks. i have about a hundred other places id rather spend my loot on other than my fork right now

Brackish
    My guess? You'd be better off buying a last year's Jr T from one of the online big boys (Pricepoint, Wheelworld, Jenson) than trying to "tweak" a Spinner. Just my two cents. Previous-year models are a great deal, that's how I got my Jr, and it's going on two years without a problem. Next year it'll be replaced with an '06 888RC!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Playing with the Spinner Ammo

Hey there Yakuza riders:

As soon as I got the bike I tried to jump a sidewalk and CLUNK, the Spinner Ammo 1 decompressed totally and violently. I kept using the bike anyway (afraid that the whole dang thing would come apart after one of those CLUNKS). A couple of weeks later, all the oil out of the damper leg and a softer srping I got from a friend and now the thing travels faster, rebounds less (still CLUNKS, but less vibration) and I got the 6 inches of travel it's allegedly offering. It's still far from ideal, and I would really appreciate some more technical explanation.

The thickest I can think about it is that there need to be a real coupling of the main spring and the rebound spring, so if you're not riding the bike but rather in front of it, you could pull the fork down almost an inch and push down the handlebars some 2-3 inches. There needs to be no wiggle in between one spring and the other (this would be like the wheel freefalingl when you jump). I actually played with getting the complete schematics of RockShox and Spinner to be able to compare (as I said before, I've ridden a RockShox Psylo that leaked all oil out and with no rebound problems). Another think to keep in mind is spring strengths ratio. Since the decompression comes from the main spring, the rebound has to have a proportional strength. This is, if you have an XL frame with a X-hard spring, probably you want a hard reabound spring. But I have an XS frame with an X-soft spring, and the rebound spring is as hard as a rock. I switched to a softer rebound spring and I believe the thing's improved a lot. I am sure it doesn't bottom out on the rebound, so that I could use an even softer rebound spring.

Or maybe a softer main spring would push it less when decompressing. And that what I think/hope/expect from Spinner USA. I emailed them aeons ago and they responded 3 weeks later to tell me that they would send "a softer spring in 3 more weeks". I just hope that whatever they send it foxes the problem.

I've even thought about cutting a bit of the main spring and adding an inch of elastomer in the rebound shaft. This would technically reduce the travel of the fork, though. I don't think I'll do that.

To complete take apart this shock, unscrew the top right cap and get the oil out. Unscrew the top left cap and get the spring out. Compress completely (watch for spitting oil from the right leg). Unscrew the bottom screw and then insert a long tool with a 5 mm allen to unscrew the rebound spring / shaft from the left leg. The right leg has an opening that slows the flow of oil from down to up when compressing, dampening the travel of the fork. The way to tweak with this is with diferent viscosity oils. I went to a motorcycle shop and bought 2 bottles of the less viscous fork-oils they had, but they proved too dampening for the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Replacing Spinner Ammo 1 with a Psylo

One more thing. I got pissed one day and bought a Psylo Tullio on ebay. When I got it I found that, yes, you need a 6-to-8inch adaptor for the front break (no biggie, 12-17 bucks). BUT (and this is a big BUT), the biggest problem I found was that apparently the hub setup that is supposed to rest on a thin rim (say 1mm wide) that the fork has on the inside of the legs was actually of a slightly smaller size. This is, the Psylo accepts outer bolts of the hub setup 25 mm diameter or smaller, and the hub that comes with the Yakuza Aniki is 26-27 mm in diameter. So now I'm thinking about either polishing the inside of the Psylos, trying to get smaller hub ends or (and I don't want to do this) just force-opening the fork legs a couple of mm to get the hub in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    goncarrasco

cool write up...need more people here to talk about experimentations...the Spinner sounds like an interesting fork, sounds like a different design than manitou and marzocchi which i'm used to

do not under any circumstances force the wheel that came with your yakuz into that psylo fork...your asking for a catastrophic failure that could happen just hopping off a curb. do it right, be patient and get the correct wheel to fit that fork

this yakuza line is more interesting now, apparently IH was working with Spinner USA to have the fork spring rates match the size of the frame...that's pretty cool, XS frame gets a light spring ...up to XL frame that apparently gets heavy duty springs....how many of us had to buy new springs beacuse the ones that came on our bikes were ridiculously light

might have to get one of these yakuza's, they sure are inexpensive

I wear two thongs
    Before I even had the bike I had IH shipping me a heavier spring, the 350lb spring was a joke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

More on the Spinner Ammo 1

Just to make it clear, the main spring I'm talking about is the fork's main spring, not the frame's spring. In theory both springs should be fitted to the size of the frame, which is related to the weight of the rider. And this should be standard procedure for all manufacturers. For example the Psylo I bought came from a M frame and it came with M springs (I wanted the soft springs, being myself merely 140 pounds).

Yeah, I'm not forcing that 20mm hub into the Psylo. I could polish some of it, but ... sounds like major surgery to me and don't want to damage the fork.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast