Huckin' trails

Anyone got a Yakuza ?

Hi all,

I got myself a 2006 Yakuza Aniki last year, almost like new, equipped with a Marzocchi Drop Off 3, Glyde R X-Fusion, 8" Hayes disc with mechanical caliper.

It was my first Freeride bike, so I didn't argue too much on it (got a damn good deal too), but now, with Iron Horse going off market since a few years, I'm wondering if this buy was a good call.

The bike run good, but I got some hard time with OEM components, such as the cassette body going very loose, headset BB ring breaking off (got to put only new BBs in, hold by grease to fix it, unable to find a 1,5" BB ring), then had couple issues with the rear Hayes MX2 caliper (adjustements, noises, etc) and the rear Hayes disc who bend a little (doesn't help with the caliper too).

But one thing I love its the paint job and maybe the look too.

I did bust the rear derailleur and the derailleur hanger in a stair jump, as the chain was being beat off. I then installed a chain guide and its better now.

Its kind of heavy (about 38 lbs), but new Freerides are the same, except they got more travel now.

So what do you think?

I like the bike, but is it still a good buy or should I sell it while I can ?

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    I have the same bike.....or at least frame...I installed Marz Jr.T Dual Crown forks, Hayes HD9 disk F/R, THE seat, Marz Roco Rear shock, Kenda Blue Groove Front and Nevegal Rear Wire bead Tires, SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur, E.13 STS Chainguide/Single 34T Front Ring conversion.....Works fine for me. I think its time to replace the BB and Headset though. And this thing is a pig (+45lbs), great for DH stuff, but def not a hucker.

So, 5yrs and only issues have been with Hayes brakes (air in the lines) and a few flats here and there. Good starter bike, but def not at the higher end of the spectrum. Ditch all the stock garbage components and you will increase the capabilities of the bike.

Huckin' trails
    Did you bought the frame only or the whole bike?

Mine is 38 lbs, pretty much limit to climb up the Mont-Royal (my mountain which is about 300m high), but its a nice ride going down... I made it trough a muddy trail day in Val-David, my brother on is GT XC totally own me the whole day....

Like I said, its my first MTB bike, so I did not upgrade any parts yet, and I will not really do anything else then the brakes, tires and maybe the rear shock, otherwise its better to buy another bike instead and I do not have the money either.

I think I will keep it as long as I can or till I get a nice job to get a new one (higher end one)... I do really hate the tires, they have no grip on/off road and they are heavy and loud... I will change the brakes for BB7 this summer and maybe get a Fox Van R eventually (if I get the money one day), but I need to find a 9" one, because nobody is making other then 8.75 or 9.5 since a couple years... I might go with a 8.75, but I will wait for the money first (will bought it used).

The fork is good and drivetrain too.

Thanks for the info... I'm also building up a cheap trail bike, so I can get some fun on trails...

Where do you ride? Street, trails, DH ? I do all of them. Street is nice with that bike too.

Cheers,

David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Did you bought the frame only or the whole bike?

Mine is 38 lbs, pretty much limit to climb up the Mont-Royal (my mountain which is about 300m high), but its a nice ride going down... I made it trough a muddy trail day in Val-David, my brother on is GT XC totally own me the whole day....

Like I said, its my first MTB bike, so I did not upgrade any parts yet, and I will not really do anything else then the brakes, tires and maybe the rear shock, otherwise its better to buy another bike instead and I do not have the money either.

I think I will keep it as long as I can or till I get a nice job to get a new one (higher end one)... I do really hate the tires, they have no grip on/off road and they are heavy and loud... I will change the brakes for BB7 this summer and maybe get a Fox Van R eventually (if I get the money one day), but I need to find a 9" one, because nobody is making other then 8.75 or 9.5 since a couple years... I might go with a 8.75, but I will wait for the money first (will bought it used).

The fork is good and drivetrain too.

Thanks for the info... I'm also building up a cheap trail bike, so I can get some fun on trails...

Where do you ride? Street, trails, DH ? I do all of them. Street is nice with that bike too.

Cheers,

David
    Ive ridden Keystone in CO and various mountains in AZ, heading to Angelfire in NM next month. All DH lift assist and DH shuttle riding for me with this pig

Huckin' trails
    I wish I had lift available on the Mont-Royal

What about the frame ? Did you build it up or you upgraded all the components ?

Thanks,

David

Sent from my iPhone while bikin'
    Last edited by David C; 07-08-2011 at 03:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!